• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uploading fequencies to UV5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

shademan

Premium Subscriber
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to upload frequencies to this radio? I have been trying for hours, and hours, and hours.....

Thank you

iceman977th

Feed Provider

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
As I see it was your first post, your replies will be moderated by the mods until a few posts down the road. When you bought the Baofeng radio, did you purchase the USB programming cable?

If you did, the hardest part is getting the prolific drivers to install on the computer. Once you've installed the drivers, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (get the point?) change the USB port you use or you'll have to reinstall the drivers each time. In other words, if you unplug the USB cable (which I do all the time) just make sure it goes back into the same port. Simple.

If you didn't purchase it, I strongly recommend spending the $8.00 on amazon to make your life much easier. CHiRP is freeware, and works fairly well, you just need to know a little bit about the acronyms used are. Plus, I can use the same file and program my TM-V71A and TM-V7a so all of my radios are channelized exactly the same. I like uniformity.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to upload frequencies to this radio? I have been trying for hours, and hours, and hours.....

Thank you

What have you been using? Keypad? Software? A little more detail would be helpful.

Jim KC9HI

shademan

Premium Subscriber
Uploading frequencies to UV5R

Thanks to all...sorry I should have provided more info...guess I was just frustrated. I did purchase the cable; I did install CHIRP and get the right driver in...I did get the FRS, MURS, frequencies but can't seem to get anything else in...ie, EMS channels for where I live. I did get the frequencies off radioreference and saved them as a .csv file but can't import them back as a .img in CHIRP. I'm sure I am doing something wrong...but I don't know what...can someone please help. I am new to all this!

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all...sorry I should have provided more info...guess I was just frustrated. I did purchase the cable; I did install CHIRP and get the right driver in...I did get the FRS, MURS, frequencies but can't seem to get anything else in...ie, EMS channels for where I live. I did get the frequencies off radioreference and saved them as a .csv file but can't import them back as a .img in CHIRP. I'm sure I am doing something wrong...but I don't know what...can someone please help. I am new to all this!

Shademan,

You have to start out by downloading from your radio. This will create a template that is compatible with your radio model. If the name in the tab doesn't start with "Baofeng UV-5R:", it cannot be uploaded to the radio. It is this tab that you will have to import into and otherwise edit to be uploaded into your radio.

If this isn't the issue, then you will have to share with us any error messages that you are getting.

Jim KC9HI

shademan

Premium Subscriber

Thanks...I saved the new frequencies as a .csv file; named the file Baofeng UV-5R Revised; tried to import it as a .img if I tell it it is a UV3R (in reality it is a GT3) it will import it as a .img but when you try to upload it to the radio it defaults to the UV3R and the error "radio did not ACK first command" appears. This same error came when I originally started working with this radio and I changed it to a UV5R and that error disappears. However, if I change the file to a UV5R instead of the UV3R the file I am trying to import comes up with all ERROR codes. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Before you do anything else, you need to download a .img file directly from YOUR radio using CHIRP's Download function (Alt-D). Until you have done this, DO NOT screw around with any CSV files.

Once you have a .img file DOWNLOADED DIRECTLY FROM YOUR RADIO, save a copy in a safe place. Then you can modify the .img file with channels and settings changes, and upload it back to the radio. You will note that when you upload the .img file back to the radio, the manufacturer and model will be locked, and the only choice you can select is the COM port. If you can change the radio model when trying to upload, you've screwed something up, and need to stop immediately before you brick your radio.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Thanks...I saved the new frequencies as a .csv file; named the file Baofeng UV-5R Revised; tried to import it as a .img if I tell it it is a UV3R (in reality it is a GT3) it will import it as a .img but when you try to upload it to the radio it defaults to the UV3R and the error "radio did not ACK first command" appears. This same error came when I originally started working with this radio and I changed it to a UV5R and that error disappears. However, if I change the file to a UV5R instead of the UV3R the file I am trying to import comes up with all ERROR codes. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

1. If all you have for a selection is UV-3R, then you have a very-very-very old version of CHIRP that doesn't support the UV-5R. You need to download and instal the latest CHIRP daily build that is compatible with your operating system.

latest CHIRP Daily Build

2. You must download from your radio first. This is the only way to get a template that is compatible with your radio. You cannot skip this step. This template is the only thing that you can edit/import to and then be able to upload back to your radio. Tip: Once you download from your radio for the first time, save an unedited version to an .img file as a backup and never change it.

Jim KC9HI

shademan

Premium Subscriber

Thank you...I have made changes and uploaded to radio......THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH

Status
Not open for further replies.