Uploading Programing Issue with Win96 to Pro96

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5ywa

I have a Radio Shack Pro 96, trying to upload my frequencies using Win96 Scanner Programing software. I was able to download the frequencies already on the scanner to the program with COM port 10... Yet, when I hit upload, it says, "did not read back data..." and "Can not find COM port 10"... What?? Yha, sure, anyways, the program used Com port 10 to download to it, but apparently can not upload to the scanner with it...

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
When you go to com ports what does it show for com ports available? I have only seen ports 3 and 5 on mine.
For whatever ports it shows try all of them.

kd5ywa

It shows I have Com 3 (Being used by the Printer)
Com 5 (Being used by the ICOM PC-1500)
and Com 10 (which doesn't show it being used or assigned to anything)

Note that when I uploaded, I had to press the up arrow key on the scanner while I made the request for the download to for the software to get my frequencies off the scanner.

But, of course, there is not option on the scanner to "download" with up or down arrow key on the scanner....

hope that wasn't too confusing.

kd5ywa

Ok, tried the other piece that came with the USB cable and got a confirmation Beep, and the software uploaded and all looked good, but nothing on the scanner. Humm... Should I clear the or "re-format" the scanner frequencies I programed into it, before I do the upload?

Also, what is the difference between the Virtual Upload, vs. the Upload option.

TES

Ok, tried the other piece that came with the USB cable and got a confirmation Beep, and the software uploaded and all looked good, but nothing on the scanner. Humm... Should I clear the or "re-format" the scanner frequencies I programed into it, before I do the upload?

Also, what is the difference between the Virtual Upload, vs. the Upload option.

By "the software uploaded", I suspect you mean that the software uploaded the data to your Pro-96. Be aware that each data upload completely replaces, rather than adds to, the working memory of your scanner. Clearing previously programmed frequencies is unnecessary.

How did you confirm "nothing on the scanner?" Performing a Download from Scanner immediately following an Upload to Scanner will show you the contents (if any) of your scanner.

The Virtual Upload involves V-Scanners, something to learn after you resolve your initial question.

kd5ywa

I had my frequencies "Labeled".

I gave the programing another try with the mono piece, and uploaded the scanner. It worked this time. I appreciated all the help from everyone. I am up and running now!

Thanks!!!!

TES

Thats funny it does on my 96 and 2096. . . .

I'm using both the GRE part number 30-3290 and it's cousin the RS catalog #20-047. Both of these cables came with the stereo-to-mono adapter—the pigtail. Both cables download and upload equally well, with or without the stereo-to-mono adapter, when used with my Pro-96 and Pro-2055.

As implied on Don Starr's somewhat dated Cable Page—though timely as far as the Pro-96 is concerned—GRE-made scanners released prior to the PSR-500 family of scanners don't have the "no pigtail" constraint.

Status
Not open for further replies.