UPMan, Are we there yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
I didn't see them there. That seems strange to me but apparently I would be horrible in the marketing world. If I were Yaesu I would have kept my mouth shut until I had the product ready to go with operational examples complete with on site networked working repeaters back to somewhere else with users on the other side for the public to interact with, which is exactly the opposite of what they did the last few years.

If I were Whistler I would bring every model, even the preliminary (previously 900) powered up for a demo with literature to hand out and at least explain what my future intentions were. Give the consumer something to look forward to. Give them a reason to want to buy your product. What does it do? What's unique? Why should I want to buy a scanner that looks like a RadioShack last year model only painted black?

If I were Connect Systems I would have had a stack of radios to sell and demo models that I pre-coordinated with the DMR guys across the room to have operational examples for people to use, with a rep or two to help explain the device instead of a stack of order forms. The item they had on hand was still in the box in the plastic. It wasn't even turned on. There were so many DMR signals available they would have had to kept a stack of batteries on hand but instead they kept it in the box turned off with only one banner to illustrate what it looks like powered up. They didn't even take a picture with the backlight on. I do better than that with Ebay auctions.

The best product representation I ever saw there was Thales several years ago when there were several live Liberty multiband units available for people to actually try and I don't think they even have an official product booth. We are talking about $6000 radios. Sure, they are spending your money (taxapayer funded defense contractor) but still, why can't Uniden or Whistler do that? It wouldn't cost that much. I would organize a group of beta tester like trusted coordinated individuals and entrust them with new devices then send them out into the wild for the weekend. It may be the digital age but word of mouth is still word of mouth and with the internet age it would be amplified thousands of times in no time.

Maybe they think it's just a ham transceiver thing or something, I don't know but it doesn't make sense to me why Uniden wasn't there. Were are talking about a Chinese mass produced product. It's not like they can't afford to have a few banged up and fat fingered by grubby oafs (they are already trading you new for a refurb due to the headphone fiasco) so what's the real loss? Several units in the field for a weekend would surely result in untold thousands in sales but what do I know, I'm only an end user but people like to see why they are worth buying.

By the way DMR is where it's at. Literally everyone that wasn't 80 years old with a 1997 Alinco drowning in RF with blaring open squelch while you are tying to have a conversation had one. The area DMR repeaters had to have been running red hot. They were 24/7. I setup the dongle in the 3rd floor hotel room miles from the main event and caught a surprising number of DMR simplex calls and conversations with DSD. The amount of DMR traffic was shocking. XPR8400/8300 repeaters could be had at a fair price if you looked around so the infrastructure is readily available to those interested and it appears many are jumping on the bandwagon. Heck, I had to force myself to walk away from the sale of one repeater just because I knew there would be hell to pay if I went home with an empty pocket and only a black aluminum box to show for it. If the scanner receiver manufacturers don't figure out a way to circumvent whatever issues it is they have with DMR they are losing ground by the day. I'm going to have to start using my XPR7550 just to scan a local neighboring county and I could see a day when my county goes that direction as well. Sure, the major metro areas may be Phase 1 and headed to Phase II and all that but the rest of the country seems to be adopting DMR. It's filling a hole left by outrageous pricing of grotesquely cost prohibitive state of the art P25 systems. It's rapidly taking on P25 for smaller agencies and businesses alike.

DMR is what P25 should have been.

Maybe I've seen too many episodes of Mad Men or something because the conversation among the group I was with consistently turned to the advertising (or lack thereof) of a majority of the vendors.

Last edited:

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
I canceled my feed thru RR because of the censorship going on here by the admins on this topic. I have seen straight up harassment on these forums by others but we censor the topics about a real issue because one of the higher ups in that vendor gets on here and talks occassionally?

Perhaps a class action lawsuit against Uniden would get the attention this problem deserves because even their own site still claims Quarter 1 release on the app.

wise871

Database Admin
On December 9 of last year, I purchased a scanner with the following claim: "The second innovation is WiFi connectivity. Now you listen to and control your scanner using your smartphone or tablet from anywhere!" My scanner shipped January 24. Why are we not entitled to be openly disappointed at the fact that, or allowed to continue to demand an up-to-date explanation for why, FOUR MONTHS have passed, yet my $600 investment still cannot deliver on one of its two "innovations" (one that happened to have been critical to my purchasing decision)?

I've kept quite on this matter but I have to agree with the above. 4 months and counting :(. I would also like to see the Analyzer feature enable.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree that Upman posting an update would be helpful - even if it's "We are still working on it but are making progress". Otherwise human nature will run it's course with folks imagining the worst.

mancow

Database Admin
I canceled my feed thru RR because of the censorship going on here by the admins on this topic. I have seen straight up harassment on these forums by others but we censor the topics about a real issue because one of the higher ups in that vendor gets on here and talks occassionally?

Perhaps a class action lawsuit against Uniden would get the attention this problem deserves because even their own site still claims Quarter 1 release on the app.

I have never noticed anything like that happening here. Uniden gets a fair amount of heat for various issues and all the topics are still here, freely discussed.

Personally I don't think it's anything that important. They will release it when they are ready. I would rather wait for a proper product then have them release something buggy. Sometimes things go wrong. It's not like I can't live without it.

whsbuss

Not to gloat, but I am so glad I returned my x36 radios a month after release. Now I just occasionally check the forums and smirk.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

bberns22

Funniest post of the month!!

Censorship on RR is the right of the owner, only he has freedom of speech here. As for a class action lawsuit against Uniden - that is hilarious - finally a post that made me laugh....

XTS3000

Google "Logitech Harmony H1000 +Z-Wave"

Logitech advertised features that never were in their product and lost the class action lawsuit.

It would be cheaper for Uniden to hire some competent people to fix this mess then fork out that cash to lawyers and replacement of products.

Uniden, penny wise dollar foolish.

All this mess aside, I still really like the 436HP, even with it's missing features.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

:roll: :roll::roll::roll:

There has not been any censorship going on by anyone here at RR.com regarding
this or any other Uniden (or any other radio manufacturer) related topic.

Marshall KE4ZNR

lugnuts

Premium Subscriber

Logitech advertised features that never were in their product and lost the class action lawsuit.

It would be cheaper for Uniden to hire some competent people to fix this mess then fork out that cash to lawyers and replacement of products.

All this mess aside, I still really like the 436HP, even with it's missing features.

is there a time frame you have to give them to correct the product before you could file suit? I hope it never gets to that point because nobody wins except the lawyers. But at the end of the day Uniden advertised a product to do something that they haven't delivered on in 4 months.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......

is there a time frame you have to give them to correct the product before you could file suit? I hope it never gets to that point because nobody wins except the lawyers. But at the end of the day Uniden advertised a product to do something that they haven't delivered on in 4 months.

Here you are. Some really good information: Class Action Cases, Class Action Attorneys, Class Action Settlements

I sang this song and people laughed at me!

airwolfbell222

Premium Subscriber
I understand that the app was going to take some time, but the analyze features were falsely represented as being working in the product. The lack of response from Uniden on this matter is probably dictated by their lawyers. Uniden has a history of stalling on fixes or updates on existing products until a new product comes out. The HP-1 has a serious flaw in its discovery mode and despite Uniden being aware of the problem, they failed to act after almost 2 years. So based on their previous performance, I hold little hope for the X36HP products. But the fact is, corporations are notorious for going into hiding when it comes to product defects, we live in a society where nobody wants to take responsibility and be accountable. And the only way to really communicate these frustrations is through RR and the only response from Uniden comes from one person who is probably overwhelmed at this point and replies to questions in usually a odd and cryptic fashion.

After this debacle, can you imagine what their next product launch will be like?

mule1075

Feed Provider
I understand that the app was going to take some time, but the analyze features were falsely represented as being working in the product. The lack of response from Uniden on this matter is probably dictated by their lawyers. Uniden has a history of stalling on fixes or updates on existing products until a new product comes out. The HP-1 has a serious flaw in its discovery mode and despite Uniden being aware of the problem, they failed to act after almost 2 years. So based on their previous performance, I hold little hope for the X36HP products. But the fact is, corporations are notorious for going into hiding when it comes to product defects, we live in a society where nobody wants to take responsibility and be accountable. And the only way to really communicate these frustrations is through RR and the only response from Uniden comes from one person who is probably overwhelmed at this point and replies to questions in usually a odd and cryptic fashion.

After this debacle, can you imagine what their next product launch will be like?

You might find this interesting about the HP-1.
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-forums/291224-homepatrol-1-firmware-update-2-05-03-a.html

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Siren App

I for one am damn mad over the Siren App promised projected release date of the first quarter of 2014 at the time I purchased two 536's and one 436. And this ongoing wait for the Siren "vaporware", without a little smoozing from Uniden is an insult. To simply state that when there is news, it will be released, don't get the job done. Paul Opitz, I apologize if you are following orders, and all due respect for your accomplishments, but its time to get off that high horse and start feeding us some assurances. Hell, just a reassurance that its release is being aggressively pursued sprinkled with a couple of the recent reasons for why its taking so long would help.

This latest firmware update is also not helping me to stay warm and fuzzy with Uniden when my Sentinel program says I already have the most current version 1.05.03 when I'm told 2.05.03 has been released. What, more vaporware?

Bill

JamesO

Analyze is more likely to materialize as at least Uniden has some track record of being able to make this feature work on the HP1. Still probably a bunch of work as everything has to be formatted differently for the 436HP and 536HP screens. Trying to have some consistency may be tough as for owners like me that have both units would not want the Analyze display to be DRASTICALLY different.

Best any of us can do is hope that by August we will hopefully at least see the Analyze function along with some other bug fixes and improvements like some fixes to Discovery mode.

For all the Legal Beagles, back down a bit. Class Action suit will get nothing but $10 discount on the next Uniden Scanner purchase, I do not want a discount, I just want the features before COB Dec 31, 2014.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
:roll: :roll::roll::roll:

There has not been any censorship going on by anyone here at RR.com regarding
this or any other Uniden (or any other radio manufacturer) related topic.

Marshall KE4ZNR

I consider closing numerous topics on this siren app along with messages saying they serve no purpose as censorship. I understand this is not a public forum that we are all entitled to but this is the only forum I belong to that has cancelled numerous threads relating to a hot topic. I respectfully disagree if you feel that is not censorship.

JamesO

Wow, talk about timing! Ok, so maybe I have hope for the X36HP after all, thanks for sharing the news!

Encouraging. I will update my HP1 here in a few moments.

Updated firmware, now time to play with my HP1E some more to see what may be different and new. Updates breath new life into a device that may have been sitting idle!

Maybe the test mule for Discovery/Analyzed on the x36HP?

Also maybe to keep the firmware guys busy during the wait for WiFi dongle resolution, they circled back around to the HP1?

Anyway any work and new firmware release for any of the products is a good thing!

Thanks Uniden/UPMan for pushing this trough and keeping the product fresh.

How about the x996XT Alert light time length??? PLEASE! Needed on the x36HP as well.

Last edited:

ResQguy

Meh
It gives you a big ugly warning when you attempt to activate the attenuator and turns the GPS indicator bright green... We'll see tomorrow how the P25 improvement goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.