Upman - can we get a Siren App Update Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
All too often in life I've run into snags when it comes to projects. What I thought was going to be a 15 minute simple task has turned into a 4 hour ordeal. When electronics and software is involved, it seems even worse.

So I'm coming from the perspective of knowing, understanding and appreciating how difficult things can be. My request is based on mounds of respect for the Uniden folks working on the Siren App and this post should not be taken as anything but positive.

With that said, Upman: can you give us an update on where the Siren App is in the development process, please?

I know there's been some negative brow-beating and this may lead to a reluctance on Upman's part out of fear that anything he says will be used against him, and I'm sorry he's had to go through that.

Still it's been a pretty good while since any updates were posted (as in a mention of seeing an alpha release).

Thanks very much!

kellykeeton

if it was april 1st I would say.. I just searched the iOS app store and there are two apps called "Uniden Siren" its to far away and I wont remember to post that later.. so just chuckle about it and pretend I did..

BTW I did check the app store to make sure that didn't "Actually happen"

Also wanted to get in before all the negative I hate posts start up. har har har. for the record I love uniden.

Jake68111

Yes, no matter the status, an update would be great.

Although I have a feeling our wait till the end of "1st Quarter" will be extended because of previous priority's, even knowing THAT is better than nothing.

Looking forward to ANY news on the app......

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well, Upman has been visiting these forums today, but he's not said anything, so I presume there isn't anything to share with us.

I've got a 536 in the console of my Ford 150 pickup truck. It's kind of hard to get to to change the volume when needed. I could remove the console cover, but if the app is a couple of weeks out, I could tolerate what I got. But if the release is measured in months, then I might be getting the screwdriver out. An update would have been helpful to me figuring my options.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Yes, no matter the status, an update would be great.

Yes, amen, even if it is just the functionality of how it will work when it is released would be nice. A lot of people are in the dark at the moment with no direction.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
deafening silence

Hate to say it but Upman is not obligated to say or update anything if Uniden does not want him to.

The app will be released when it is released.

People need to learn some patience.

As someone else stated Q1 is not up yet there are still 9 days left in the quarter...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Hate to say it but Upman is not obligated to say or update anything if Uniden does not want him to.

As someone else stated Q1 is not up yet there are still 9 days left in the quarter...

You call Uniden directly and they don't have answers ether. Most are not asking for when it will be released but just for an update as there has been nothing, nada, zip, zilch no information about it. What could be so special about this app that it has to be this secretive? I have said this before and I will say it again. I have no problem waiting but a little communication with your paying customers is called customer support. A little can go a long way. Even if it is something simple like App is still on track or no we don't think it will be ready by the expected timeframe. I know for me, I just want to know the functionality of how this app is going to work so I can make some kind of plan with storm season upon us. I don't think that is asking to much and with this silence I am starting to think Uniden doesn't even know if this app will work. Maybe they have bit off more than they can chew.

This whole "We got your money we don't owe you any answers" mentality is a little disrespectful to your customers. I don't care when they said it would be released. Not answering your customers regardless how tedious the questions might be is poor customer service period. No communication just acts like they are hiding something. The least they can do is say "we have no comment on it right now but we do/or don't expect it to be ready by the end of the month". How hard is that?

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
You call Uniden directly and they don't have answers ether. Most are not asking for when it will be released but just for an update as there has been nothing, nada, zip, zilch no information about it. What could be so special about this app that it has to be this secretive? I have said this before and I will say it again. I have no problem waiting but a little communication with your paying customers is called customer support. A little can go a long way. Even if it is something simple like App is still on track or no we don't think it will be ready by the expected timeframe. I know for me, I just want to know the functionality of how this app is going to work so I can make some kind of plan with storm season upon us. I don't think that is asking to much and with this silence I am starting to think Uniden doesn't even know if this app will work. Maybe they have bit off more than they can chew.

This whole "We got your money we don't owe you any answers" mentality is a little disrespectful to your customers. I don't care when they said it would be released. Not answering your customers regardless how tedious the questions might be is poor customer service period. No communication just acts like they are hiding something. The least they can do is say "we have no comment on it right now but we do/or don't expect it to be ready by the end of the month". How hard is that?

The saying "no new is good news " does not apply to Uniden's *36HP series of scanners. There has been one issue after the other and I suspect that the WiFi App is no different. Uniden should have spent more time on development and beta testing instead of making that awful video. This does nothing for the hobby but cast a shadow of uncertainty for future development. What common Joe has the time to wade through hundreds of posts for answers . What is so difficult for UPMan to post UPDates ?
Like - wifi app is coming along fine and we expect a release date mid April. Here is a few screen shots.
Or - The Analyze program is in its final testing and a beta version will be release in the next firmware.
I just don't understand the silent treatment ?

bama9999

Paul is far from silent when it comes to customer service. He makes numerous posts here on RR regarding various issues that come up with Uniden scanners. In fact, it seems to me that he actually goes above and beyond the scope of his job in trying to help those who own Uniden scanners. He's the Product Manager, not a tech support or customer service rep, who are usually the ones dealing with customer complaints and/or issues.

I don't recall anywhere near the level of personal input from anyone else with any other scanner manufacturing companies.

LiquidPandora

I don't think Logic will get his attention....

QUOTE=ofd8001;2158304]All too often in life I've run into snags when it comes to projects. What I thought was going to be a 15 minute simple task has turned into a 4 hour ordeal. When electronics and software is involved, it seems even worse.

So I'm coming from the perspective of knowing, understanding and appreciating how difficult things can be. My request is based on mounds of respect for the Uniden folks working on the Siren App and this post should not be taken as anything but positive.

With that said, Upman: can you give us an update on where the Siren App is in the development process, please?

I know there's been some negative brow-beating and this may lead to a reluctance on Upman's part out of fear that anything he says will be used against him, and I'm sorry he's had to go through that.

Still it's been a pretty good while since any updates were posted (as in a mention of seeing an alpha release).

Thanks very much![/QUOTE]

I really don't think He or his TWO 2 NEW Bosses care.... They are all Focused on Cameras, Fazing out Cordless phones and stuff like that.. SECURITY IS THE BUZZ WORD At Uniden now days...... Straight from the mouths of his two new boss's.. I am shocked that everyone has forgot he has People over him also.? :confused: I have never uncountered this in my 60 years... and if we did... well you know... Stranger than Fiction. :mad:

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
I am shocked that everyone has forgot he has People over him also.? :confused: I have never uncountered this in my 60 years... and if we did... well you know... Stranger than Fiction. :mad:

Exactly! I have never once mentioned this was one single persons fault as everyone else has been doing. It is Unidens fault as a whole and a company. People think Upman is this person running around like Santa Clause running the show and that isn't the case.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Actually, I disagree that UPMan is just a pawn in Uniden's game.

I believe he has a lot more pull than he is given credit for.

I wrote an email to presales@uniden.com and he answered it. He even told me he sort of "intercepted" it. UPMan, lest you chastise me again for "breaching confidentiality" or some other such nonsense, save it - I'm not disclosing the content of the email, merely pointing out that you have the power to "intercept" official Uniden emails. To me, you appear to be MUCH more than a mere functionary, which leads me to believe the silence everybody is complaining about regarding the Siren app has more to do with your own decisions than what others believe. Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not "allowed" to say this stuff because I don't own one of the new scanners. More nonsense.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Actually, I disagree that UPMan is just a pawn in Uniden's game.

I believe he has a lot more pull than he is given credit for.

I wrote an email to presales@uniden.com and he answered it. He even told me he sort of "intercepted" it. UPMan, lest you chastise me again for "breaching confidentiality" or some other such nonsense, save it - I'm not disclosing the content of the email, merely pointing out that you have the power to "intercept" official Uniden emails. To me, you appear to be MUCH more than a mere functionary, which leads me to believe the silence everybody is complaining about regarding the Siren app has more to do with your own decisions than what others believe. Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not "allowed" to say this stuff because I don't own one of the new scanners. More nonsense.

Oh please give it up already.Now when new info comes up you will as I will find out here first as has been happening on this very site for years.Back to the regular program.

SCPD

QRT
The saying "no new is good news " does not apply to Uniden's *36HP series of scanners. There has been one issue after the other and I suspect that the WiFi App is no different. Uniden should have spent more time on development and beta testing instead of making that awful video. This does nothing for the hobby but cast a shadow of uncertainty for future development. What common Joe has the time to wade through hundreds of posts for answers . What is so difficult for UPMan to post UPDates ?
Like - wifi app is coming along fine and we expect a release date mid April. Here is a few screen shots.
Or - The Analyze program is in its final testing and a beta version will be release in the next firmware.
I just don't understand the silent treatment ?

It was advertised with production release and it still isn't here and should have been developed before release or any advertisement of it... Whole reason I had bought my 536's was so I DID NOT HAVE TO CARRY FRAGILE THINGS AROUNG... "being clumsy with the cane isn't good for holding much of anything"
wifi app would have worked with my iPhone which has withstanded about 10 to 15 drops down stairs which I don't believe scanners would ever be able to do without some sort of knocking it out of tune... hell I dropped my HP1E from coffee table height and had to send it in and get screen replaced...
we want our siren app UPMan.
time has been here and passed...
This should have been released with the "AS ADVERTISED PRODUCT" don't look good for future sales bud...

SCPD

QRT

Well the app should NOT have been revieled in the pre release videos saying it come with the 536...
Hell UPMan cant even get Gommert (butel software) the protocols for serial ports so he can develop his ease of use software...

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
I am really getting sick of people discounting others peoples concerns about this. If the tables were turned and there was a feature they were expecting that Uniden wasn't providing info on they would be raising cane too. Just because the App isn't of any concern of yours doesn't mean others can't be concerned with the lack of information about it and it's expected functionality. Just like people have been throwing fits about the headphone jack. For me, I don't give two licks about the headphone jack. I have never used it in the past and I will probably never use it in the future but, I am not going to discount peoples concerns about it because it is what's important to them and their enjoyment with the radio. Providing information about the functionality and progress can help others plan on how to do certain things or make other arrangements. I don't think that is asking to much to ask about HOW the app will work rather then WHEN the app is going to be released. If it is no concern or interest of yours then don't discount other people for it being a concern with them. As the saying goes, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones because there will probably be a time when the the tables are turned on you will be on the outside looking in for answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.