UPMAN- NAC vs CTCSS/DCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

campd715

Premium Subscriber
Why can't my 996XT (firmware version 1.04.00), when receiving transmissions regardless whether they are digital and analog signals, decode NAC, DCS, and CTCSS at the same time?

I personally don't have one but I've been told that the PRO-197 does PL, DPL, and NAC all at the same time during searches so apparently it's a task that can be accomplished. Limiting the user to choose one or the other doesn't seem like a very effect use of a scanner enthusiast's potential resource.

Also at present when either CTCSS/DCS or NAC is selected as one's search choice it is set universally as opposed to having the ability to set each of the ten custom searches individually. If the radio could do an all mode search at the same time then this issue would be a moot point.

Ideally the perfect setup would ID any mode in a search. If there is a LTR ID, Motorola TRS, EDACS, CTCSS, DCS, or NAC present, decode them.

Dennis

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
It is a limitation with the Uniden yes,

solution in the past has been to program both in one as a NAC (digilta) and one as a CTCSS/DCS search (analog)

cg

Premium Subscriber
That can be done with one frequency but it is far from a solution. Because of the NAC vs CTCSS/DCS issue, it makes the radio a much less effective tool for searches.
I have PRO197s and the unattended search is much better when you can log the NAC or CTCSS/DCS in one run.

chris

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Same Issue

While I was using the close call function on my 396XT, I too found that it did not decode the CTCSS tones. I had to program the frequency found into the scanner, then let it decode the CTCSS tone.

Would be a good next firmware update, if it's even possible. So for me, thats two suggestions for the next firmware update.. the first being a longer backlight time when set to "squelch".

garys

Premium Subscriber
While I was using the close call function on my 396XT, I too found that it did not decode the CTCSS tones. I had to program the frequency found into the scanner, then let it decode the CTCSS tone.

Would be a good next firmware update, if it's even possible. So for me, thats two suggestions for the next firmware update.. the first being a longer backlight time when set to "squelch".

That's a feature that can be turned on and off in the menu system. Check to make sure that it's enabled.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Which Part??

Gary, which part of my post were you responding to? If it was the backlight feature... When the backlight function is set to "Squelch", the backlight comes on and stays lit for a factory set time. For me, and others I've spoken with, that pre-set time isnt long enough. We would like to see the option to extend the preset set time (dont confuse this with the 10 or 30 second options as they are not related to the squelch function).

If you are referring to the CTCSS decode while in Close Call mode, I have my Close Call option set as follows: Close Call = Hits with scan, CC Mode = CC Pri, CC Override = On. The "Tone/Code Search" set to CTCSS/DCS search. When I key a radio that is using a CTCSS tone, close call beeps and says CC Found, Press Any Key". When I press a key, it shows me the frequency found, but no CTCSS information. Note: Reading the Wiki, I was under the impression that with these settings, when a nearby transmission is found, the radio would automatically display the frequency info on the LCD, but I keep getting the "Press Any Key". Do I have a setting wrong?

Thanks

garys

Premium Subscriber
Gary, which part of my post were you responding to? If it was the backlight feature... When the backlight function is set to "Squelch", the backlight comes on and stays lit for a factory set time. For me, and others I've spoken with, that pre-set time isnt long enough. We would like to see the option to extend the preset set time (dont confuse this with the 10 or 30 second options as they are not related to the squelch function).

This wasn't what I was referring to, but I do agree with you about the light.

If you are referring to the CTCSS decode while in Close Call mode, I have my Close Call option set as follows: Close Call = Hits with scan, CC Mode = CC Pri, CC Override = On. The "Tone/Code Search" set to CTCSS/DCS search. When I key a radio that is using a CTCSS tone, close call beeps and says CC Found, Press Any Key". When I press a key, it shows me the frequency found, but no CTCSS information. Note: Reading the Wiki, I was under the impression that with these settings, when a nearby transmission is found, the radio would automatically display the frequency info on the LCD, but I keep getting the "Press Any Key". Do I have a setting wrong?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I use CC so infrequently that I can't remember if the PL/DPL displays or not. I don't recall ever seeing the found frequency display without pushing a key, though.

cartman

This wasn't what I was referring to, but I do agree with you about the light.

Thanks

I use CC so infrequently that I can't remember if the PL/DPL displays or not. I don't recall ever seeing the found frequency display without pushing a key, though.[/QUOTE]

Hello there. I was just reading your and the other fellows replies about the radio with the CTCSS/DSC feature and wondered if these scanners were fairly acurate. I am considering getting a uniden brand. I was wondering how complicated the PL/DPL/CTCSS codes were to find. I'll keep your directions handy for future.

jmm346

Ditto on this royal pain in the rear.

While not ideal, if there was even a func+keypress option to toggle tone search on/off, it would be easier to deal with.

Why can't my 996XT (firmware version 1.04.00), when receiving transmissions regardless whether they are digital and analog signals, decode NAC, DCS, and CTCSS at the same time?

Danny6569

close call

Ive walked around my local mall and tried getting stuff like security and whatever else i could pick up trying out close call, it works but you have to look at the scanner kinda quick when you get a hit, and also while they are talking you will usually see the ctcss pop up, other than that it kinda keeps going off and on, so my trick to using close call is that i will turn up the volume a good enough level to hear a hit go off, then i use one of the alert lights also, and as soon as i hear a hit i quickly save it to my scanner, it says to push the function button when you get a hit but i just push my hold button, but i think the problem why some people cant see the ctcss being decoded is because maybe the signal isnt strong enough to decode the ctcss codes, ive done both with my radio ive walked around with it and tried it out, and i also used one of those little family radios to try it out, when you key up with one of the family radios and talk in it the ctcss comes up quickly and i guess being close to the scanner helps also, but ive noticed that while walking around and trying it out while someone else is using a radio that it fades in and out, the ctcss codes keep going off and on, it seems like the scanner decodes the ctcss a lot better while someone is actually talking if there close enough to youre scanner. so anyone trying to use close call i would be as close as possible to the radio source to get the best results, and also try to save the hit quickly while you see both the frequency and the ctcss up on the screen, ive done this all the time with my 396 xt and it works everytime! hope this helps all Danny...

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I agree, having to chose nothing, NAC search, or CTCSS/PL search is not ideal. I'd like to see a Search All Subaudible type that would search for LTR, NAC, DCS/CTCSS, any anything else that might be present on a signal. I'd like to see that added(not replace the current) to per channel programming as well as Close Call and search ranges.

On that note, I think it would be handy to have a per channel option that requires CTCSS/DCS tone but without having defined a specific CTCSS/DCS tone. Kind of a wildcard tone that keeps out interference and only opens up the speaker if some sort of subaudible tone is present.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.