UPMAN: Serial Driver for Windows Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

I read it all already and there was nothing explaining to me what may be wrong. (wiki forums what have you)

I have a small Laptop that i use for programing these new scanners. This is the deal.

The serial drivers that you provided do not work.

The system Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 3 and all the latest updates.

It installs as Com 10 and then highlights the driver via the system manager in yellow with a message driver install but not working Code 10

Tried everyway i know how to get this thing to come online with no results.

What can you suggest?

Thanks

Coz

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
If you are using Sentinel, you should not need serial port drivers to program the scanner.
The computer treats the scanner's memory card as a hard drive, and "Write to Scanner" simply copies files to the "hard drive".
Select E when you turn the scanner on.

lep

I read it all already and there was nothing explaining to me what may be wrong. (wiki forums what have you)

The serial drivers that you provided do not work.

It installs as Com 10 and then highlights the driver via the system manager in yellow with a message driver install but not working Code 10

What can you suggest?

Thanks

Coz

I thought the same thing at first. Then I searched through the drivers on my computer and found one called "Uniden", when I tried that one, it installed without the Yellow mark, and it turned out to be the correct one. (for me it is COM 17 but that is likely irrelevant). From that point on it works fine, try looking thorugh all the drivers in the folder on your computer and look for one specifically labled for Uniden,

mrkelso

I thought the same thing at first. Then I searched through the drivers on my computer and found one called "Uniden", when I tried that one, it installed without the Yellow mark, and it turned out to be the correct one. (for me it is COM 17 but that is likely irrelevant). From that point on it works fine, try looking thorugh all the drivers in the folder on your computer and look for one specifically labled for Uniden,

Yep just tried it again your way and i get the same results. I'll have to take a ride over to my storage unit and grab my other laptop and try that.

Thanks

mrkelso

If you are using Sentinel, you should not need serial port drivers to program the scanner.
The computer treats the scanner's memory card as a hard drive, and "Write to Scanner" simply copies files to the "hard drive".
Select E when you turn the scanner on.

not using sentinel but when you mentioned it i tried sentinel and i get the same results No communication.
I'll try a different machine later

Thanks

RF23

Premium Subscriber
not using sentinel but when you mentioned it i tried sentinel and i get the same results No communication.

Thanks

Since the serial driver is not involved in the computer recognizing the scanner I would suggest that you change to a known good USB cable. Some people have gotten bad USB cables with their radios.

If the computer and scanner are functioning normally a good USB cable is all you should need for your scanner to be recognized by the computer.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

Thanks

When you connect to the computer do you hear the notification for a device being connected?
If you hear multiple notifications, there may be a conflict with the device driver.

Look at the device manager while connecting to the USB port to see if there is a notification triangle that the device driver is not installed correctly or has a conflict. A logical drive should also appear in the list of drives for the MicroSD with a drive letter assigned.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To use Sentinel with the scanner, though, you select Mass Storage on the scanner, not serial mode. Or are you trying to do something else?

mrkelso

To use Sentinel with the scanner, though, you select Mass Storage on the scanner, not serial mode. Or are you trying to do something else?

Yes i was attempting to work with the new ARC 536 beta. Turns out it was a combination of a bad machine and a corrupt MicroSD. all is well at buckingham palace once again.

Many Thanks

SDBud

996P2 Serial driver for Vista??

Trying to program a 996P2 (and a 325P2) on a laptop with Vista, using Proscan.

Windows Driver wizard says driver not installed, and there is no disk or software included WITH the radio, OR on the Uniden site (that I could find), so what do I do next??

Have a USB/Serial adapter that I USUALLY use, but the P2 has a male DB9 instead of the female that all OTHER Uniden scanners have had (of COURSE they do).

So REALLY, how do I get this computer to recognized the latest USB cable and radio??

SDBud

OK, found the Uniden USB driver, installed, and it worked for the 996P2, but the system isn't seeing the 325P2. Appears the driver is the same for both, but I never get any response when plugging in the 325 like I did on the 996,and older units.

Any ideas there???

fredg

Premium Subscriber
but the system isn't seeing the 325P2 Any ideas there???

With the 325 off and the cable plugged in does it say "Charging" on the screen?

If not, and if it works with the 996, I would say there is an issue with the USB port of the 325 scanner.

SDBud

DUH! Ya gotta NOT charge, AND have the radio tuned on in order to program it!

:)

Still a minor glitch that I can work around, program 'loses' connection to radio at times, and needs to be restarted to find the port again. Not serious, and I got both radios programed and running fine, and gave them back to their owner. He is happy.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.