UPMan, siren update request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

Connection as in audio and/or data? Data uses UDP and Audio uses TCP and UDP if that helps determine what's in common.

Are you running AVG anti-virus by any chance? That will inturpt TCP traffic. Do you have another instance( of software using) try to access the audio connection? Both will drop the scanner Wi-Fi connection.

Some cameras use audio. I use IObit antivirus on the PC but it is my iphones4 and 5 I use.
The iphones can't connect and BCD536 says not connected in wifi information and it doesn't even help to reset to factory, it refuses to connect to the wifi net until I reconnect the cable to the wifi dongle.

Sometimes only the audio is gone and I have to do the same thing again to restore the audio link.
Other times the BCD536 are connected to the wifi net but the siren app on the iphones can't connect with the ip number shown on the scanner and I have to reattach the wifi dongle.

I don't use AP mode as that forces the iphones off the wifi net and I'm not sure if the coverage is sufficient.
I could try and wrap the dongle in foil to reduce the signal and see if that helps.

/Ubbe

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
While my comment is not about Siren it is about connectivity and may be something to look at for those having connectivity issues.

When I got my 536 several months ago I tried the dongle and made connection to my iPhone and iPad no issue like many. Packed the dongle back in the box and not used it since.

However, I have discovered that my router has a 2.4g and 5g radio. I can change which I use by selecting which SSID I use in the device. What I have discovered is my wireless printer can only connect to the 2.4g router radio. If any device I want to print from is on the 5g it is not going to talk to the printer on the 2.4g radio. If I switch the device to the 2.5g then printing works fine.

For the more knowledgeable this lack of data exchange between the two radios in the same router may be common information. Nothing is obviously setup wrong and one of the easy and common checks is can I get to the internet. Because of that I think it easy to believe nothing is wrong with your setup, but the dongle is on one SSID and the device is on the other. I have not checked if in fact this is true for the dongle vs. device, but it is for my HP printer and device.

Those that have a more focused interest and the hardware in place, but poor/erratic or no connectivity can easily check and report back.

Good Luck,
Mike

Ubbe

I only have 2.4 running. 5GHz hardly covers outside the room. I regulary check that neighbours wifi nets are not within 3 channels.

I had the 536 wifi on but not used for a couple of days and today when I used Siren it had only audio and no scanner info. A reconnect to the wifi net on the 536 cured that. When I'm out in the backyard I notice I loose the audio very easy and only button on siren that does something is the rec button that makes a beep sound and then audio is restored.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.