UPMan's new avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Note that at least one of the new Yahoo! groups that has shown up in the last 24 hours was not created by me and is very speculative.

Just trying to moderate enthusiasm without actually destroying any...

So your actually saying no mobile this time around or your speculating that it is speculative? :eek:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Hearing dispatches like this: "Emergency Traffic is a PBBBBBTTTrawrrawr at 1523 N PBBBBTTTTr-r-r-r-r responding units 10-50 to PBBBBTTTT-r-r-r-r-beep boop" is NOT going to cut it. And that's really what they sound like - it's almost as if the scanner KNOWS it's a hot call and goes bananas.-AZ

Matt, maybe you need to move where they have a radio system that works? JK. :wink: Do you ever hear the units talking to each other and saying they are digital or the radios are not working?

slicerwizard

That avatar sure looks interesting. It most certainly appears to be a 396 display in multiple colors... freaking cool looking! But performance is what we need, and I hope these new units can deliver.
So you'd rather have real steak over the Uniden Sizzle (tm) ?

We're all still waiting on that one.

N8DV

Ok, the 996 scans dc to light now. What could they add to make the unit better? Turns itself on and off? Brews your coffee for you? Scans D-Star (don't know why)? How about HD digital video? Now, how much more will it cost? Two arms and a leg; Your first-born male child? A refi of your mortgage?
I wonder what the price point will be? (Hmmm, just wondering with tongue-in-cheek)

kellykeeton

All I want on my new uniden is...

Digital ID display on EDACS, Motorola and P25 systems.

NAC to go with PL and DPL...and NAC decode.

I'd even take it with a firmware update.

Oh wait, GRE already has that stuff. C'mon Uniden, get in the game.

Seriously though...I'm holding off on my new scanner purchase until I see this new release. I also hope it's similar in design to the 396/996 series.

I'd love to see MDC-1200 decode too.

this isnt the GRE vs Uniden thread that over on another post. this is the what is the 346 unit, which likely is a 246 replacement so P25 likely isnt a option. more likely its the 330 rebranded because the 246 was a little dated. and the 330 was a ...?

anywhoo I just was looking on the yahoo group and it will be able to decode T-Mobil cell phones. however uniden required you to trade in all GRE scanners to get the update for that.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Guess I'll be waiting a little longer

I was just about ready to spring for a new portable. I've been trying to decide between the psr-500 and 396. Good thing I ran across this thread before taking the plunge.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
I was just about ready to spring for a new portable. I've been trying to decide between the psr-500 and 396. Good thing I ran across this thread before taking the plunge.

You probably have to wait for a while, I would take the plunge now and get yourself a new scanner then save some more pennies for the next Uniden:).
Take care

garys

Premium Subscriber
Ok, the 996 scans dc to light now. What could they add to make the unit better? Turns itself on and off? Brews your coffee for you? Scans D-Star (don't know why)? How about HD digital video? Now, how much more will it cost? Two arms and a leg; Your first-born male child? A refi of your mortgage?
I wonder what the price point will be? (Hmmm, just wondering with tongue-in-cheek)

NAC and NAC search for P25 systems would be nice. An easier way to get to a particular channel in manual mode would be nice.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Speaking of beta testing. If a pro-voice scanner ever becomes a reality. I'd like to volunteer. Being that I'm in the middle of pro-voice central Cecil County Maryland.

Maybe that's why my crappy handheld wouldn't pickup too much when I was visiting my son in Elkton last week LOL

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
You probably have to wait for a while, I would take the plunge now and get yourself a new scanner then save some more pennies for the next Uniden:).
Take care

I know, but I don't "need" a new handheld just yet. I've got a pro-96. I do WANT a new scanner, and I'm leaning towards the 396. I think I'll try to hold out just a little longer, 'til we get some more info on the 396xt.

jeff.

Gumbo

The new scanner will be a faceless, buttonless iPhone clip-on that uses the TFT touchscreen to commandeer the scanner in an iPhone scanner touch app and watch the action in brilliant living color with decent fonts and do away with the 16 character limitation. No more cryptic talkgroup ids!

Or not,

Andy

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We are planning on using echoresonance in the received audio to reconstruct and display a 3D representation of the area surrounding the person transmitting.

Hey, I should get to play this game, too!

:)

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
We are planning on using echoresonance in the received audio to reconstruct and display a 3D representation of the area surrounding the person transmitting.

Hey, I should get to play this game, too!

:)

Pssht. GRE came out with that in a firmware update just last week, along with the ability to decode Starfleet subspace frequency hopping spread spectrum in the 50 GHz band. Get with the program Uniden...

:D

-AZ

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
For all we know the 396XT could just be
Xtra features that the 996 has (temp lockout, multi site)

That might explain why UpMAN didnt create a group for the 996XT (it has those features already it doesnt need an X version)

Status
Not open for further replies.