UPS and FedEx tracking data

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
How does FedEx or UPS update their data so fast after delivery?
FedEx is very fast and UPS not so much

ind224

tracking

Caesar is correct. I've been shipping for 20+ years. The UPS device is called a Diad and it updates and sends data when the drive places it back in the cradle. They can also send messages from the local center(s) for the driver to meet another driver and pick up missorted packges or make new pickups. (The drivers prefered the older bigger units for dog defense.) The stops/route are preprogrammed.

My FE express guy was still using a clipboard and paper and so his data was not updated until he got back to the terminal; not good. I made the call and soon he had a scanner.

I find the UPS data to be faster and more accurate as far as package scans.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yhe, but is it wireless or on what kinda data network? Becasue 1 min after he leaves its already update on their site as delievered and to what door at the house

D

DaveNF2G

Of course it's wireless. Ever seen any wires trailing from the delivery truck? :)

FedEx uses a nationwide 800 MHz channel. I've been told that UPS uses satellite, but I doubt that given the lack of satellite antennas on the trucks.

BTW, FedEx has several divisions that do different types of deliveries. FedEx Home in my area is not "on the system" by radio. The scanners can only communicate wirelessly within the terminal. From there, everything is done on a wired network.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Found something
"Simultaneously, FedEx Ground is equipping all pickup-and-delivery vans with new in-vehicle computers that will constantly transmit delivery data captured by STAR II scanners to the company's central mainframe computer. Data will be uploaded after every delivery stop over the BellSouth Intelligent Wireless NetworkSM (NYSE:BLS), a nationwide packet-radio wide area network. In rural delivery areas, satellite communications will be used."
so they do use satellites

D

DaveNF2G

They "will be" using satellites in rural areas in the southeastern US, near BellSouth's coverage area.

FedEx does not have consistent nationwide communications with all of its vehicles at all times. Different areas are set up differently.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
I have a buddy who is a Fed-Ex (Air) driver and dated a girl that he worked with.... got to check out their radios.

Around here the data and the analog voice channels are on the same freq. The cradle for the scanner is hooked to the radio, and sent in a packet type transmission. The craddle/radio unit also has a terminal screen and qwerty keyboard they can message back and fourth with. When there is data being rxed the unit will not transmit. The drivers I know don't use the radios to talk to each other usually. They will use the terminal or cell phone each other for business/personal voice coms.

But I have looked at the licensing for other areas and it looks like some areas may be different. Also, this is talking about the real Fed-EX which is called Air by them.

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I have a buddy who is a Fed-Ex (Air) driver and dated a girl that he worked with.... got to check out their radios.

Around here the data and the analog voice channels are on the same freq. The cradle for the scanner is hooked to the radio, and sent in a packet type transmission. The craddle/radio unit also has a terminal screen and qwerty keyboard they can message back and fourth with. When there is data being rxed the unit will not transmit. The drivers I know don't use the radios to talk to each other usually. They will use the terminal or cell phone each other for business/personal voice coms.

But I have looked at the licensing for other areas and it looks like some areas may be different. Also, this is talking about the real Fed-EX which is called Air by them.

Interesting, now all of us scanner people want to know what frequency

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, now all of us scanner people want to know what frequency
That I don't remember, but I did see listed somewhere and confirmed it. It was 800mhz, but really, there is not too much to listen to there. Very little voice as stated. The data bursts will get to you after a while, if you can't find it... I will grab lunch with my buddy and a freq counter.

Wait, I found it 857.3625

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
its 854.XXXX here I used to have in my scanner but never heard anything. & have a fedex loading.shipping center about 3-4 miles from where I live I want to say 854.8375 but not sure will look further & see & see

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
:( too bad I dont have a working scanner with 800Mhz, I'm expecting FedEx any min now

D

DaveNF2G

There is no voice traffic on the FedEx channel anywhere in New York State.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The Fedex data system is a precursor to OpenSky.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34946

The UPS system was to use ACSSB on the 220 MHz band and was one reason 220-222 MHz was taken away from Ham Use. No other band would work. I remember comments before the system was implemented that it will not work on 220 MHz. Everyone went forward with it anyway and guess what? It did not work and UPS abandoned it.

I hear UPS uses cellular data networks. There are several standards for passing data through the various cellphone networks.

73 Eric

jerk

Yhe, but is it wireless or on what kinda data network? Becasue 1 min after he leaves its already update on their site as delievered and to what door at the house
UPS I believe in my area uses Verizon, but the DIADS can use either or cellular providers.

jerk

Caesar is correct. I've been shipping for 20+ years. The UPS device is called a Diad and it updates and sends data when the drive places it back in the cradle. They can also send messages from the local center(s) for the driver to meet another driver and pick up missorted packges or make new pickups. (The drivers prefered the older bigger units for dog defense.) The stops/route are preprogrammed.

My FE express guy was still using a clipboard and paper and so his data was not updated until he got back to the terminal; not good. I made the call and soon he had a scanner.

I find the UPS data to be faster and more accurate as far as package scans.
I've called after missing the driver, and they've messaged and he brought it back by within a half/hour.

Rural area, so cost efficient for them to deliver while in my area, not in my area daily, so works out for both of us. :wink:

reconrider8

well there was a show on history one day and it showed how they did it they have a building thats like 6 football fields 5 stories and they have tons and tons of scanners and stuff if i can find a link ill post it up about it

Status
Not open for further replies.