Upson county and surrounding area listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomW

I am thinking of moving to Thomaston, Upson county. I decided with this possible move I would do a little research and see what was around Thomaston to listen to. First I checked Broadcastify feed lists for Georgia and Upson was not there. So I was a little surprised to find only VHF for the area and no trunking system at all. Please tell me the RRDB is just a little out of date or I missed something.
Thanks, Dom

RRR

Premium Subscriber
You do realize Upson county is pretty rural.

No big shocker there isn't a "trunking system" in place.

N8IAA

The same for GSP and DNR. But, they are P-25 (y) Makes it easier to monitor what's going on.
Same for the surrounding counties.
And, you don't have to worry about simulcast. :D:D

I am thinking of moving to Thomaston, Upson county. I decided with this possible move I would do a little research and see what was around Thomaston to listen to. First I checked Broadcastify feed lists for Georgia and Upson was not there. So I was a little surprised to find only VHF for the area and no trunking system at all. Please tell me the RRDB is just a little out of date or I missed something.
Thanks, Dom

You would be better off in Griffin, Ga... Thomaston is very rural not much here for you to listen too..

RRR

Premium Subscriber
And the humidity.... Ugh!

So are you throwing a dart at a map to figure out where you would want to move to? I would look closely at the local news for the past several months in an area before I did that....

DomW

And the humidity.... Ugh!

So are you throwing a dart at a map to figure out where you would want to move to? I would look closely at the local news for the past several months in an area before I did that....

TRIGGER WARNING: Stop reading now if you are easily upset or offended by poor attempts at political humor.
So here we go:
If you mean riots....
"Yes, but I covered the large blue cities with a piece of metal so my dart won't stick."
or
"I heard there are some great fire sales going on in several cities."
or
"My map has red and blue squares on it and when my dart lands on a blue square I get another free shot until it lands on a red square. Sort of like a 'get out of jail free' card when you land in NYC."
or
If you mean the pandemic.
[snip]
[snip]
Sorry, pandemic humor is a little too triggering and too soon.

But actually if you searched on Zillo for a home built before 1950 and has a greenhouse you will find out why Thomaston GA. topped my list.

N8IAA

Thanks everyone for the info. But the wife said no to Georgia this morning, "It's too hot." Yeah, but only by ten degrees.

My wife and I moved to GA 21 years ago from Cleveland and haven't regretted. Don't miss the cold winter weather at all.

She's probably thinking about missing family. Not the heat. :D

Last edited:

DomW

My wife and I moved to GA 21 years ago from Cleveland and haven't regretted. Don't miss the cold winter weather at all.

She's probably thinking about missing family. Not the heat. :D
Yep, she was in Annapolis with (her) grandkids when I wrote my question at the top. But she wants to move to Tenn.?

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
I like Newnan better. I used to work for the local cable company in LaGrange. They also operated the cable system in Thomaston. I hated to go there. The heat was almost unbearable due to the humidity. They also have some pretty awesome thunder boomers roll thru there. Besides property taxes are way cheaper in Coweta county than in Upson. As far as scanning, there is way much more to listen to in Coweta - Carroll Counties.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Dom
I gotta tell you, if you're wanting to move to ANY city just for scanner traffic, you're missing something. There are some great cities and towns in Georgia. Thomaston is one of them. It's friendly, clean and, believe it or not, they have air conditioning. Someone mentioned Newnan. My luthier (go look that one up) lives near there and Newnan traffic is almost as bad as Atlanta. Speaking of Atlanta, I'd rather be set on fire for 30 minutes than live in there. I've lived in Georgia for almost a half a century and I love it.

Reactions: RRR

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree about the traffic. I remember back in the the day the main road going from Newnan (the one that's so crowded now) to Peachtree City used to be a two lane. I've been in GA for 41 years moving just 35 miles up the road from Opelika, Alabama. Yes Thomaston is friendly and clean but having to work outside in that humidity, its crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.