Upstate Scanner Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

runningman

I live in Greenville Co. and want to start listening to my scanner again. I have an Uniden BCD996T scanner that I haven't used in years. I'm not getting hardly any reception and I am wondering if I need to reprogram it or if the scanner is old technology that can't pick up the channels anymore. If I need a new scanner any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

rayvelcoro

I live in Greenville Co. and want to start listening to my scanner again. I have an Uniden BCD996T scanner that I haven't used in years. I'm not getting hardly any reception and I am wondering if I need to reprogram it or if the scanner is old technology that can't pick up the channels anymore. If I need a new scanner any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
To start with, I'd recommend that you obtain a current production scanner capable of digital and analog reception with, of course, trunk-tracking. Then you'll need to update your personal knowledge base regarding today's new scanning environment, not to mention re-familiarizing yourself with what's available to monitor in your area.

raustinb88

Hello Runningman,

Here’s a link which might help see some features for your Bcd996t.

I am guessing here, I think your scanner might be able to receive most things around the Gvl SC area.

Depending on your location, you may not have trouble with the Gvl Simulcast sites which for many scanners cause garbled audio.

Other users who are more knowledgeable than I will chime in with suggestions.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Hi Runningman -

I live in Upstate SC as well.

If you have not updated the scanner in a year or more, then yes, you need to reprogram your scanner with updated information from the RadioReference database. There have been substantial changes to emergency services radio systems in Greenville County in the last 2 years. Almost all public safety agencies have moved to the Palmetto 800 system in the last 2 years. The Palmetto 800 system itself migrated to a full P25 system in the about 2 1/2 years ago.

While your scanner should be capable of receiving these communications, as others noted, your scanner does not support reception of simulcast systems well, and Greenville County runs on a 3-site simulcast site. That means that you may hear incomplete or garbled transmission once you update the programming in your scanner.

I would recommend you update the programming first, and see how it works. There are some tricks you can try to minimize the simulcast reception problem that might help you. I'd do that before you purchase a new radio.

Good luck.

runningman

Thanks for all the replies. A lot has changed since in the past few years.

Brian,

It has been several years since I have updated the scanner's frequencies. I did check and I have the latest firm wear. I have also been reading about rebanding. Is that something that I need to do?

Thanks again for all the help.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Rebanding does not apply to P25 systems. So that's not something that you need to worry about.

I'll confess that I'm not familiar with programming Uniden scanners, particularly older models. Hopefully someone can chime in with some tips on how to get current information into your scanner. If you're using a particular computer program, be sure to mention that so folks can give you appropriate information.

runningman

Thanks again for the information. I plan to reprogram the BCD996T using FreeSCAN. I will report back once I am finished.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I live in Greenville Co. and want to start listening to my scanner again. I have an Uniden BCD996T scanner that I haven't used in years.
Here is a Greenville County file for you to try. It is the trunked system only, no conventional frequencies. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Quick keys as follows:

Greenville Co SC
SYSTEM QUICK KEYS:
1. P800 GreenvlleCo (Site)
2. P800 Hogback Mtn (Site)
3. P800 CaesarsHead (Site)
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. County Fire/EMS
2. Local Fire
3. County Sheriff
4. Local Police
5. Greenville Fire
6. Greenville PD
7. Greenville DPW
8. SC HighwayPatrol

Attachments

• Greenville Co SC.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

runningman

My scanner is working with the frequencies that tvengr sent. So far I have not noticed any simulcast issues. Thanks again to everyone for all the help. Now to add some additional frequencies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can add a conventional system with the conventional frequencies in the county and assign system quick key 4 so you can toggle it on and off without interfering with the 3 sites on the trunked system using system quick keys 1, 2, and 3..

runningman

You can add a conventional system with the conventional frequencies in the county and assign system quick key 4 so you can toggle it on and off without interfering with the 3 sites on the trunked system using system quick keys 1, 2, and 3..

Thanks for the advise. I have added the conventional frequencies to quick key 4. With your help and the help of others here RadioReference sure makes it easy to program your scanner.

johnrseay

Hi Runningman. I am also in Greenville and recently pulled out my BCD396XT to start listening again. I have compiled some local upstate info and can send an export if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.