Url for looking up Farm to Market road locations in TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5gqb

Here is a pretty neat site for looking up the locations of FM roads, state highways, etc in TX. Its great for when the band is open or when listening to some linked system that reaches all over. This makes it easy trying to figure out where they are and/or who you're listening to.
Right now I'm listening to one of the DOT state wide freqs (obviously linked) and determined I was hearing units in Freestone Co down here in Bryan. Just by them giving out the various FM road #'s they're checking out for icing.
Texas - FM & RM Roads

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for sharing that. Sometimes it hard to find the county and state roads in Google Maps, especially when you don't know what city or county they're in.
By the way, I learned the other day, in Google Maps, you can zoom out pretty wide, and just put in "123 Main St" (without city, state, county, etc.), and it will find most of those that match in any area that is visible in your current zoom level.
Ben

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
It is a useful link for the some of the roads; the first two I thought to look up weren't on the list. I only wanted to see how they were described since I knew both very well. Neither FM 518 nor FM 528 were on the list. :confused:

Well a further look at the link shows the roads as Urban Roads but the are listed on all maps and everywhere else (except in TXDOT's files) as FM.

Myles

Lou, now that's not a fair test. You know everything down here is pretty much City of Houston now. There are hardly any farms or markets. Who really knows that Scarsdale east of I-45 is FM 2553?
Surprised 517 doesn't have another name like 518 has several depending on what part you are on.
Oh wait, I see they do call it Dickinson Rd in Alvin. So Sly, what did you hear the TXDOT guys on?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Lou, now that's not a fair test. ...
:lol: But Myles, this is where I live, how else was I going to compare what I know to what they say. :lol:

What made me see what was going on is when I looked up 1960 and saw it listed as both UR and FM in the description. BTW, it is good to see you come out of "Lurk Mode" every once and a while. :)

n5gqb

Don't know if y'all caught it but there is additional links at the bottom of that page for state highways, business routes, park roads, spurs and so on.
It does appear to be a little dated, for example there was an extension to a state highway here a while back (~7 years ago) and the new part is not on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.