US Database size

Status
Not open for further replies.

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
I was just curious as to how big the US database was, and is it fully downloadable as one whole download? Also if it is dowloadable, is it in a format that is updateable by areas needed, or states etc.. I was considering putting it on a thumb drive so that i would have it available wherever i was, and upgrading as necissary.:wink:

D

DaveNF2G

This is not an official answer, only my best guess.

The database is sold on CD-ROM. Consequently, I do not believe it would be possible for a user to download the whole thing directly and put it on their own media. I would expect it to be protected from such use.

lep

Well it seems to fit easily on the 2 gb SD card that is part of the HP-1. Of course that doesn't include ENC channels or others that are not moniorable by the HP-1.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is not an official answer, only my best guess.

The database is sold on CD-ROM. Consequently, I do not believe it would be possible for a user to download the whole thing directly and put it on their own media. I would expect it to be protected from such use.

The CD Rom hasn't been sold in quite a while now, AFAIK (and even if there's someone out there doing it, it's almost certainly dated material). But as another poster said, since it fits on a SD card, and is fully downloadable for scanners like Home Patrol or the PSR-700/800 it's certainly doable...of course, there's the legal issues, which no doubt Uniden and GRE have already addressed. best regards..Mike

trkntrlrman

Premium Subscriber
I should think that it would be available, If you can download parts of it why couldn't you download the whole thing, maybe as a zipped file. I know it is on CD, but that is a very old copy and requires a lot of updating.Also knowing the size of the US D-base would give some Idea of what i have to deal with. Also it would be nice to know if i can download it one State at a time, Complete, without having to do each little county etc. They seem to have it in the HP-1 so I don't see why it can't be done.. What leagal Issue? it's downloadable for the HP-1....I don't understand ...

Last edited:

mciupa

What legal Issue? ...I don't understand ...

The licensing arrangements allow them to do so. See this from the Terms and Conditions of use.

6. LICENSING AND OTHER TERMS APPLYING TO CONTENT POSTED ON THE RadioReference.com SITES:

Use, reproduction, modification, and other intellectual property rights to data stored on the RadioReference.com Sites will be subject to licensing arrangements that may be approved by RadioReference.com as applicable to such Content.

trkntrlrman

Premium Subscriber
The licensing arrangements allow them to do so. See this from the Terms and Conditions of use.

6. LICENSING AND OTHER TERMS APPLYING TO CONTENT POSTED ON THE RadioReference.com SITES:

Use, reproduction, modification, and other intellectual property rights to data stored on the RadioReference.com Sites will be subject to licensing arrangements that may be approved by RadioReference.com as applicable to such Content.

OK, I'm still not clear on How RR can keep Members, Who1. contribute to the data base. and 2. Pay for the right to download that information, can say We can't have it. Whether it be in one large chunk, or In parts and pieces...It's a matter of convenience for the user. It really shouldn't matter seeing as it's already being put on Dozens of scanners being sold every day...

I can understand them Disallowing Copyrighted information, but this is public information..

OCO

You can get all the data you want, with the current tools provided, but AFAIK, there is no tool that will download the entire database or even an entire state that you have access to. To gain that access, you sign a licensing agreement and pay the fee; then you write the software that connects and downloads the data as GRE, Uniden and all the software vendors have done.

If you think you can do something with the data from the HPDB, I guess you could try, but it does break the shrinkwrap user's agreement from Uniden. The question is, how you gonna download all that data, (I don't think anyone is going to provide you with the tool) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.