US Mail Delivery PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

I might of asked this question before but can't locate the thread?

Up in the Lehigh Valley noticed at my post office the US Mail trucks have a 800 - 900Mhz antenna on it. You Can see the microphone for a Motorola radio mounted on the dash but can't tell what type of mobile it is.

These are not the mail trucks that deliver to your house but from post office to post office. I just happen to catch a plain truck along with marked US Mail trucks have them.

Anybody know what system they are using?

Thanks
Steve

ecps92

Interesting. Here in New England the GMF to GMF and sorting Facilities are VHF Hi [Gov't Channels]

Do all the trucks have them? US Postal or contract ? If contract fleet that might explain the antennas

I might of asked this question before but can't locate the thread?

Up in the Lehigh Valley noticed at my post office the US Mail trucks have a 800 - 900Mhz antenna on it. You Can see the microphone for a Motorola radio mounted on the dash but can't tell what type of mobile it is.

These are not the mail trucks that deliver to your house but from post office to post office. I just happen to catch a plain truck along with marked US Mail trucks have them.

Anybody know what system they are using?

Thanks
Steve

RayAir

Here in the Detroit area USPS trucks use a analog repeater on 164.9625.

Steveradio

I always happen to catch the truck with US Mail logo and colors on it and once in awhile a unmarked white truck with black lettering US Mail on the side those are the only ones seen at our post office. Our Main hub is Lehigh Valley, Pa.

Steve

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
maybe those are contract trucks. I see them all the time up here in upstate NY, greater capital region
they have all the US Postal Service logos and marking, but on the bottom of the logos it says
"USPS Contractor" and they use motorola radios
the ones with the black lettering might be contractor trucks, the real ones usually have the logos and colors

Viper43

Those are contract trucks, some use pickups or whatever works for their needs. Since they are contract trucks though you have to figure out what company it is to figure out what channels they are using, you may be able to narrow it down with an FCC search for "mail" or "contract" for PA, but my bet is that those with radios are out of Philly or NY.

V

jerk

In Louisville Kentucky area they use VHF 168.xxx Mhz frequencies.
Close call/Spectrum Scan/Frequency Counter/signal stalker searching the your best bets. You could just ask them to key up the microphone with one of the above.

commstar

Premium Subscriber
I agree, a trip down to you local BMF/GMF with Close Call technology in hand would be the quickest route to determining the frequency/s in play.

172.xxxx was in use for many years at the Oakland CA BMF as tug control and truck coordination.....

Steveradio

I will have to pay attention more next time a take a trip that way.

I'm just confused since we really don't have a 800mhz business trunk system anymore in the Valley except 900mhz but its concentrated more in the Easton area and low power. Guess it could be conventional system as well. Need to check into it more and let you know.

Thanks for the input,
Steve

ecps92

Not much business [SMR-Rental] 800 left, since Nextel migrated them to IDEN.

In New England much of them migrated to 900 SMR, so I would search the 900 trunks first.

I will have to pay attention more next time a take a trip that way.

I'm just confused since we really don't have a 800mhz business trunk system anymore in the Valley except 900mhz but its concentrated more in the Easton area and low power. Guess it could be conventional system as well. Need to check into it more and let you know.

Thanks for the input,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.