US Postal Inspectors Raleigh NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Raleigh seems to be busier than usual the last few days...

Another catch today 407.725, NAC 482, RID 1, Encrypted

Frequency has been listed as US Postal Inspectors Channel White and NAC is recorded as USPI, only thing that throws me is the RID of 1

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
I see RID (radio's Logical ID Number) of 1 quite often. The radio personality file (Moto calls it a codeplug) is written with a default user Logical ID number (LID) of 1. Whoever programs the radio is supposed to change the ID number of each individual radio to be a unique number. But, if the (non-technical) personal programming the radio doesn't know to do this, all the radios end-up with the same ID number, especially on conventional channels. This happens when a Radio Technician (who knows better !) is either lazy or simply doesn't give a damn.

On a lighter note:
If you scan the AGA (All Government Agencies) simplex frequencies, you will often see radios being used for car-to-car intercom passing though your area, where all the radios transmit an ID of 1. Especially on the Interstates. Can be very amusing listening at times, especially since they 'assume' that nobody can hear them! A heck of a lot more fun at times than listening to FRS channels while going down the highway.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Postal Inspectors are 100% encrypted all the time from personal experience and everything I have ever read... I wouldn't even bother.

ecps92

I've seen the RID of 1 quite often on other NETS
Some of them tracked down to the Repeater or console patch being the RID

IT could mean the units you were monitoring are not on your Repeater, but patched/networked from another repeater in the Region

Nice to see folks working on finding usage, without listening to the NOISE of "don't bother, they are encrypted"
Raleigh seems to be busier than usual the last few days...

Another catch today 407.725, NAC 482, RID 1, Encrypted

Frequency has been listed as US Postal Inspectors Channel White and NAC is recorded as USPI, only thing that throws me is the RID of 1

K2RNI

I've seen the RID of 1 quite often on other NETS
Some of them tracked down to the Repeater or console patch being the RID

IT could mean the units you were monitoring are not on your Repeater, but patched/networked from another repeater in the Region

Nice to see folks working on finding usage, without listening to the NOISE of "don't bother, they are encrypted"

Oh but that's all the fun. You perform crypt-analysis watching the different radio IDs, times, durations, and frequency (the non-rf definition) of transmissions made.

It's also fun listening to guys on here who monitor hardcore waiting for the radios to slip and transmit unencrpyted. I saw a great youtube video of that years back when a guy recorded video of the scanner picking up a few transmission slips from the Secret Service during a presidential visit.

K2RNI

Oh but that's all the fun. You perform crypt-analysis watching the different radio IDs, times, durations, and frequency (the non-rf definition) of transmissions made.

It's also fun listening to guys on here who monitor hardcore waiting for the radios to slip and transmit unencrpyted. I saw a great youtube video of that years back when a guy recorded video of the scanner picking up a few transmission slips from the Secret Service during a presidential visit.

Here's the video I was referencing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FaYBwvwq5k
Fun stuff. Kind of like fishing, you wait long times for those small catches.

Status
Not open for further replies.