US President Visit from Ottawa March 23-24, 2023

Noseybody

I listened a bit, but was busy doing other things, and it was on the few unencrypted OPP channels.
However, was downtown early Friday morning where the whole area around the hotel was blocked off to traffic. Saw a black SUV parked outside the hotel with four thick black vertical antennas of various heights on the roof. From about a block away, and judging only by proportions with the vehicle, they looked to be something like 2" diameter. The short one seemed about 18" high was at the back on the roof centreline, the tall one seemed about 5 feet was in front again on the roof centreline, then two at left and right of centreline looked to be about 3 feet high. Would have loved to know what they were running with those!
I think I read on previous visits that at least one of its purposes was to block cell and other radio signals that could be used to detonate explosives remotely.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I listened a bit, but was busy doing other things, and it was on the few unencrypted OPP channels.
However, I was downtown early Friday morning where the whole area around the hotel was blocked off to traffic. Saw a black SUV parked outside the hotel with four thick black vertical antennas of various heights on the roof.

From about a block away, and judging only by proportions with the vehicle, they looked to be something like 2" diameter. The short one seemed about 18" high was at the back on the roof centreline. The tall one seemed about 5 feet was in front again on the roof centreline, then two at left and right of centreline looked to be about 3 feet high. I would have loved to know what they were running with those!
Which one? All three of these were in the motorcade when POTUS visited Durham NC earlier this week.

DSC_6823-01.jpeg DSC_7012.JPG Screenshot_20230330-075352-134-01.jpeg

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
I think I read on previous visits that at least one of its purposes was to block cell and other radio signals that could be used to detonate explosives remotely.
Makes sense!

The car I saw was the one at the 16 second mark in the YouTube video you posted. The antennas are taller there than on the cars in the images from RaleighGuy.