usad help

johnny517

hello ihave an older uniden 996t that i have not used in quite a while.if i remember correctley you could use the scanner on the computer with the cable and something called usad i think.well i have the cable is it still possible to get the usad and if i can where could i find this is it still possible to use scanner on the computer. or is there more to get than just the usad thank you for all help on this is this something i can download from a site thanks again

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I believe you mean "USB" which is a port on newer computers. However the 996T cable is a serial cable intended to be plugged into a 9 pin (or 25 pin) serial port on a computer.

Depending on your computer, you will need at the very least an adapter that converts USB to serial and the software drivers for your computer. Check with a dealer like Bearcat Warehouse or Scanner Master to see if the have what you need.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I believe you mean "USB" which is a port on newer computers. However the 996T cable is a serial cable intended to be plugged into a 9 pin (or 25 pin) serial port on a computer.

Depending on your computer, you will need at the very least an adapter that converts USB to serial and the software drivers for your computer. Check with a dealer like Bearcat Warehouse or Scanner Master to see if the have what you need.
UASD was Unidens attempt at programming software many years ago.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
hello ihave an older uniden 996t that i have not used in quite a while.if i remember correctley you could use the scanner on the computer with the cable and something called usad i think.well i have the cable is it still possible to get the usad and if i can where could i find this is it still possible to use scanner on the computer. or is there more to get than just the usad thank you for all help on this is this something i can download from a site thanks again
USAD was the programming software provided by Uniden for the 336t/996t scanners. It might still be available for download. However, you should consider one of the newer software packages available for programming your 996t including Freescan (free), Proscan, Arc996.

johnny517

thank you to all replies. but im going to try this. the usb 1 cable does not work in the front part. so i want to try the rear hook up. i believe i need a usb to rs232 female db9 serial converter cable. my question is does this have to have the ftd1 or pl2303 chipset in it. or can it just be a regular cable without these chipsets. also is this cable a null mudem cable or just the usb to rs232 female db9 serial converter cable. thanks so much for any help. not sure if im going to try freescan or the usad thanks again

tvengr

Well Known Member
i believe i need a usb to rs232 female db9 serial converter cable.
If you have the original DB9 to Hirose connector serial cable which came with the scanner, you can use this USB to serial adapter with it. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...V1frjBx23uATeEAQYASABEgKuKfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds I have never had any problems with this adapter using any computer, programming software, or scanner. I use it with my BCD996T. What is your city, county, and state and which agencies do you want to monitor?

Last edited: