USAF E-6 Traffic over Northern VT & NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
USN E-6 Traffic over Northern VT & NY

Hi,

Over the past couple of months I've been watching an E-6 over upstate NY and northern VT. The transponder code is "GOTO FM". I was wondering if anyone has ever monitored their comms on UHF?

I'm also looking for active Mil frequencies for that region. My current data is rather dated.

Thanks
CYUL

Last edited:

glideslope

Hi,

Over the past couple of months I've been watching an E-6 over upstate NY and northern VT. The transponder code is "GOTO FM". I was wondering if anyone has ever monitored their comms on UHF?

I'm also looking for active Mil frequencies for that region. My current data is rather dated.

Thanks
CYUL

A transponder uses numbers not letters and last I knew there were only 4 digits. What are you asking?

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
A transponder uses numbers not letters and last I knew there were only 4 digits. What are you asking?

Sorry, that should have been the Flight ID, I have the MODE-S code in ADS-B.

I was wondering if these guys have been picked up checking into civilian ATC. They seems to skirt the US/CAN border then head south. The other day I saw them aff the coast of NYC heading west. CYUL

Thanks
CYUL

trainman111

Premium Subscriber

I believe he's asking if "anyone has ever monitored their comms on UHF". At least that's what he says in his post...:roll:

Now, to give you some background info CYUL. That is in fact an E-6. Finding a callsign will be extremely difficult as they are only used 1 time. When you listen to your air traffic controller's, listen for a rediculous and abnormal callsign followed by 2 numbers. That's a good indication that it is an E-6. Now, the E-6's over NY are more than likely coming from Patuxent River NAS in Patuxent River, MD. The BuNo (Bureau Number) of the E-6 matches the BuNo of one of the E-6's that visist Patuxent River often, which is 164406. There are also 3 other locations in the United States where E-6's are stationed. They are Tinker AFB in Oklahoma, Travis AFB in California, and the other is north of Oklahoma, but I'm not sure exactly where. What you might want to do is head over to the Maryland Forum and keep an eye on the "Sticky Thread for Milair II" There are frequent posts which show when an E-6 has departed Patuxent River so you can keep an eye out for it if it heads up that way. As for your question about frequencies, they could be on any number of frequencies. If I were you, I would program the Huntress (NORAD) frequencies and see if you hear them there. If not, the search function on your scanner might be a big help.

Hope that helps you out!
Nick

TinEar

Sorry, that should have been the Flight ID, I have the MODE-S code in ADS-B.

I was wondering if these guys have been picked up checking into civilian ATC. They seems to skirt the US/CAN border then head south. The other day I saw them aff the coast of NYC heading west. CYUL

Thanks
CYUL

Very likely you're seeing the E-6B that departs Patuxent NAS MD on one of the routes we see them heading for. Occasionally, we see missions depart Patuxent head due north and fly out of range. They navigate on VHF freqs through the ATC system about 99% of the time. Very rarely, I'll see them use UHF. As was pointed out, their callsigns are one-time calls so what you hear today won't be repeated. However, you have the benefit of having your Radarbox to follow their ADS/B signal. So, if you know your own ARTCC sectors, you should always know which frequency they should be working at any given time. By the way, that "callsign" is GOTO FMS which is just something they fill in and means absolutely nothing - except all the E-6s use it. For whatever reason, you're missing the last character.

By the way, those flights generally go north from here, turn to the east across northern NY, head across New England and then fly down the coast, turn westward around Cape May, NJ, across Delaware Bay, into Delaware, into Maryland and back to Patuxent.

I realize some of you won't have any idea what I'm talking about here since I'm dealing with a particular piece of equipment CYUL is using for the basis of his questions. No, I don't have a Radarbox but I'm very familiar with it.

As was pointed out by Nick, we generally log these flights on the Maryland thread upon leaving Patuxent and when they head north toward your area. There's no particular schedule I'm aware of. The route I mentioned that heads toward you is just one of several they use.

Alan

Last edited:

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
I can generally hear Boston center from here so I'll keep an ear out on their UHF freq's next time I see these guys on the prowl. I've monitored many MIL aircraft over the years but due to some antenna issues here I have had some limitations on range.

Thanks
CYUL

TinEar

I can generally hear Boston center from here so I'll keep an ear out on their UHF freq's next time I see these guys on the prowl. I've monitored many MIL aircraft over the years but due to some antenna issues here I have had some limitations on range.

Thanks
CYUL

As mentioned, monitor VHF, not UHF.

JohnFB

Yea, I posted just as the reply came in. VHF it is.

Thanks
CYUL
And if you see a pattern in the timeframes as to when you see these guys, let us know. I'm in northern Massachusetts and I could probably catch'em .... I just need to know if there is a particular time of day so I don't have to listen to VHF all day long ;)

Last edited:
There are also 3 other locations in the United States where E-6's are stationed. They are Tinker AFB in Oklahoma, Travis AFB in California, and the other is north of Oklahoma, but I'm not sure exactly where. Nick

Tinker AFB, OK is the homebase for both the E-6B squadrons. Patuxent and Travis are the main forward detatchments, and Nick, the other one you were thinking of is Offutt AFB. At Offutt the E-6B operates as the STRATCOM ABNCP. They took over the old EC-135 "Looking Glass" mission when they opened the Offutt detatchment.

For CYUL, all the guys that responded to you about the E-6 being on VHF ATC are correct. But, keep an ear out on 311.0, 321.0 and 323.8 for EAMs being transmitted by the E-6 within your hearing range.

Also, like they mentioned, listen up for radio and transponder checks with HUNTRESS on 364.2

glideslope

And if you see a pattern in the timeframes as to when you see these guys, let us know. I'm in northern Massachusetts and I could probably catch'em .... I just need to know if there is a particular time of day so I don't have to listen to VHF all day long ;)

Shout out from Hampden County!

D

DaveNF2G

Also, like they mentioned, listen up for radio and transponder checks with HUNTRESS on 364.2

Depending on the mission, they might also be talking with NORTHERN LIGHTS (different callsign for HUNTRESS) on that frequency.

You might also hear them talking to FOOTROPE on 314.2 (I think), the Canadian counterpart to HUNTRESS.

You (CYUL) mentioned being able to hear Boston Center. Does this flight ever enter Montreal Center's airspace?

Stavro35

I saw this on the ground at ABQ during a recent trip.. Enjoy!

E-6TACAMO.jpg

Yokoshibu

The Military does not play with ADS-b / mode s that often, In fact a lot of changes had to be made for those who do not fly on waivers over the EU. Most aircrew's forget to program the call sign into the box and usually find out when they get over the UK if the controllers feel like letting them know the copilot threw in "my ac blows" not like its ever happened before.

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
Depending on the mission, they might also be talking with NORTHERN LIGHTS (different callsign for HUNTRESS) on that frequency.

You might also hear them talking to FOOTROPE on 314.2 (I think), the Canadian counterpart to HUNTRESS.

You (CYUL) mentioned being able to hear Boston Center. Does this flight ever enter Montreal Center's airspace?

Nope, they seem to stay about 20 miles south of the border.

CYUL

JohnFB

I can generally hear Boston center from here (snip)
And CYUL I forgot to ask ..... do you mean you can hear the controllers, or that you can hear aircraft talking to Boston ATC? If you *can* hear the controllers, can you tell me on what freqs?

TIA

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
And CYUL I forgot to ask ..... do you mean you can hear the controllers, or that you can hear aircraft talking to Boston ATC? If you *can* hear the controllers, can you tell me on what freqs?

TIA

Normally, I can hear them on 135.700MHz AM.

CYUL

Status
Not open for further replies.