USAF MQ-9 Reaper callsigns

wickedjane

Hey guys, just wanted to ask you what are some of the callsigns used by Air Force MQ-9's and if possible on which frequencies you hear them. Recently heard callsign DICER14 near Cannon AFB unfortunately i have lost the frequency...

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
what are some of the callsigns used by Air Force MQ-9's and if possible on which frequencies you hear them.
The callsigns and frequencies would be specific to each unit/squadron. The NY ANG 174th ATKW MQ-9s based out of Syracuse use callsigns APEX 01, COBRA 01, PYTHON 01, GHOST 01, SNAKE 01, MAMBA 01 when conducting local training. Noted TAC frequencies have been 259.500, 271.100, 267.800, 289.050, 250.475.

wickedjane

The callsigns and frequencies would be specific to each unit/squadron. The NY ANG 174th ATKW MQ-9s based out of Syracuse use callsigns APEX 01, COBRA 01, PYTHON 01, GHOST 01, SNAKE 01, MAMBA 01 when conducting local training. Noted TAC frequencies have been 259.500, 271.100, 267.800, 289.050, 250.475.
Thank you for replying @AirScan. Well i think i am able to sort the callsigns to their squadrons: MAMBA, COBRA, PYTHON and SNAKE are attached to the 174th OG and stretch across the 3 Reaper squadrons at Syracuse which are the 108th, 138th and 491st ATKS. The other remaining 2 callsigns, GHOST and APEX are probably for advanced combat simulation training, and therefore APEX is assigned to the 138th ATKS, while GHOST could be assigned to the 491st ATKS, which, referring to their mission, would make sense. I think the callsign here i heard at Cannon AFB belongs to the 65th SOS, the Lucky Dicers. 118.425 was the frequency.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Well i think i am able to sort the callsigns to their squadrons:
APEX, COBRA, PYTHON are the most commonly used, almost on a daily basis (Mon-Fri). SNAKE, MAMBA, GHOST are very rarely heard. These observations come from mostly monitoring LiveATC. As I'm to far away to hear most of their TAC comms I've not been able to correlate a callsign with a specific mission type or squadron.

I think the callsign here i heard at Cannon AFB belongs to the 65th SOS, the Lucky Dicers. 118.425 was the frequency.
The NY ANG also use VHF as primary when communicating with ATC. You can hear them on the LiveATC feeds at Syracuse and ZBW Boston Center (UCA09/ART08). They usually depart in the morning around 0830-0930 EDT and return in the afternoon or evening after typically working in the GRIMM and OSWEGO ATCAAs or at the Fort Drum Range (R5201/2), and occasionally in the MISTY MOAs (over Lake Ontario).

I'm not familiar with the Connon AFB area but would be interested if you can catch their TAC UHF frequencies.

wickedjane

Thank you @AirScan! This sounds interesting. Well I have heard a couple MC-130's and U-28's over the Melrose Weapons Range freq. was 376.100. Recently i heard TREX18 and DRAGON21 there. Callsign DRAGON likely belongs to U-28/MQ-9. However i was not able to identify what kind of aircraft the TREX18 was. These callsigns are unusual for the Cannon area must have been for tac purposes. As for TAC UHF I have no information but i would appreciate if anyone is able to add them.

wickedjane

Some few I have tracked with ADS-B are SCORE47, VVPE537 and BLKCAT5

Thank you @merlin. I have seen them too. They are MQ-4C Triton's from the U.S. Navy. BLKCT5 is currently deployed and is often spotted over the mediterranean sea, while the other 2 are stateside.

wickedjane

Thank you for replying @AirScan. Well i think i am able to sort the callsigns to their squadrons: MAMBA, COBRA, PYTHON and SNAKE are attached to the 174th OG and stretch across the 3 Reaper squadrons at Syracuse which are the 108th, 138th and 491st ATKS. The other remaining 2 callsigns, GHOST and APEX are probably for advanced combat simulation training, and therefore APEX is assigned to the 138th ATKS, while GHOST could be assigned to the 491st ATKS, which, referring to their mission, would make sense. I think the callsign here i heard at Cannon AFB belongs to the 65th SOS, the Lucky Dicers. 118.425 was the frequency.
A little correction: the 65th SOS is an MCE Reaper squadron from Hurlburt Field, they currently do not have MQ-9's at Hurlburt. DICER14 could belong to a squadron at Cannon AFB.