USAF NG flypast

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
The group will likely use regular VHF civilian aircraft frequencies for TRACON during the flight staying in contact with air traffic control along the route. The group will likely add "flight" to the callsign when contracting air traffic control to represent a flight of more than one aircraft. Listen for the "flight" callsign on TRACON freqs:

There will also likely be one or more air-to-air frequencies. Search the following ranges:
225-380MHz 25kHz steps AM modulation
Also search these ranges. F-16s often uses these frequencies for air-to-air:
138-144Mhz 25kHz steps AM modulation
148-150.775MHz 25kHz steps AM modulation

If you are close to the flight path, set up a radio in close call mode to help catch this if they transmit while over your location.

Keep a listen on the known 56th Fighter Wing frequencies and Flight Operations for the 161th Air Refueling Wing:

If they are not using known air-to-air frequencies, it will be a little difficult to find. Let us know what you hear so we can all listen in. I plan to be monitoring and will post what I find. The good thing is, we should be able to hear the air traffic almost valley wide once we find the frequencies. Have fun monitoring!

Last edited:

etihparg

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to track military aircraft (this flyover), such as planefinder.org? Most military aircraft don't show up.

mesocyclone

Sometimes the military will squawk ADSB, in which case they can be tracked. Since these jets will be flying through a lot of civilian airspace at low altitudes, they may do that, although I don't know if the fighters have the capability. During a Trump visit, the tanker was visible on ADSB, the fighters and radar plane were not. There will be a tanker - KC-135 - with the fighters on this.

Use adsbexchange - tar1090

Hit the U button to have it select only military.

At the moment, it is showing COPPER6, which is a military KC-135 tanker. It is also showing a number of intelligence planes - one by Flagstaff, and a bunch down by Ft. Huachuca (Sierra Vista). I don't see any fighters, but I suspect that they are not doing training due to COVID19, although I may be wrong about that.

etihparg

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes the military will squawk ADSB, in which case they can be tracked. Since these jets will be flying through a lot of civilian airspace at low altitudes, they may do that, although I don't know if the fighters have the capability. During a Trump visit, the tanker was visible on ADSB, the fighters and radar plane were not. There will be a tanker - KC-135 - with the fighters on this.

Use adsbexchange - tar1090

Hit the U button to have it select only military.

At the moment, it is showing COPPER6, which is a military KC-135 tanker. It is also showing a number of intelligence planes - one by Flagstaff, and a bunch down by Ft. Huachuca (Sierra Vista). I don't see any fighters, but I suspect that they are not doing training due to COVID19, although I may be wrong about that.
Got it, thanks...

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
Copper 01 and 02 interplane and with Snake Eye on 251.45. The flyover stars from the Gladden MOA per published reports from KLUF.

ADS-B exchange has them entering the MOA

Also N99TV (Ch 3/5) and N125HD (Fox10?) orbiting near KLUF

Last edited:

radioprescott

Premium Subscriber
149.1 new freq; fighters having trouble checking in on UHF

...and its FM

More: in MOA use the MOA freqn 321.25; out of area 308.625; advisories on 139.0.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I went to see them as they came north along the 303 to Bell Road and headed south at the east edge of the White Tanks.

There was a ton of traffic on RAPCON-North (118.150 and 363.125). Copper1, the leader of the pack (KC135 out of PHX) was working Luke and Luke was also working other aircraft in the area. Copper2 seemed to be in the area someplace, I suspect he might have been a photo/chase plane or backup in case Copper1 had issues. Also heard referenced on RAPCON-N-V were a couple helicopters near Luke, probably media or military photogs ("Traffic is a helicopter hovering north of the runway at 500, cleared for takeoff").

From what I heard on RAPCON they seemed to form up around the Buckeye VOR area (SW of Buckeye Airport 10 miles or so) then headed NE to overfly Luke to join the published flight path.

I also listed to the F35's and F16's take off out of Luke on 379.900 and by the time I got to my viewing area off Sun Valley Parkway at the new trail head east of the White Tanks the last of the fighters were taking off in pairs to the SW. After they overflew my position they headed south to overfly Luke again before heading west and then Copper1 was directed to switch to PHX Approach.

I did not hear the A-A traffic as I was monitoring the tower on one radio and RAPCON on another.

Status
Not open for further replies.