• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Usascan.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireant

Called them today to order the BCD 996T decided to go with it after orginally deciding on the BCT 15. They were very rude on the phone the guy was really a jerk so needless to say I told him to not worry about it, That I would take my business else where their prices are good but price doesn't matter when your customer service sucks. So for now will hold off again think I will order from Scanner Master or Scanners Unlimited prices are more but your not treated like you are a inconvience. You would almost think you are spending 500+ dollars on something you would be treated better, really you should be treated good no matter how much you spend. Just my thoughts on usascan.com two thumbs way down.

fireant

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Just to play devil's advocate, I have dealt with CEI (web address is usascan.com) in the past a couple of times and in both transactions was pleased. Of course I ordered on line then followed up once with a phone call but did not run into the guy you did. :cool:

edweirdFL

Premium Subscriber
I ordered my 996 this morning, via Grove's web site. Soon afterwards I got three emails. A receipt for my order, a customer receipt for the purchase, and an email with the UPS tracking number.

I didn't speak with anyone today, but I've done business with them before, and back when there used to be conventions, I met a number of folks from the company in person. The fact that they were nice to me years ago still influences my vendor choice today.

Ed

SCPD

I had the same experience with usascan when I ordered my 996T a couple of months ago. I wanted them to ship on a certain date (about 2 days after the order was placed) so I would be at home to receive. The person handling customer service basically said we'll ship it when we ship it, and do bother me about small details like that. Needless to say I will be ordering from Universal or Grove in the future. Even if I do pay a couple of buck more, their customer service is worth the extra cost.

JnglMassiv

jrbobdobbs said:
I wanted them to ship on a certain date (about 2 days after the order was placed) so I would be at home to receive.
Please don't take this as a rip or anything but this is exactly the type of request I would expect the low bid vendor to reject. The margins on these things are tight enough. Expecting the lowest available supplier to provide all sorts of special services simply isn't reasonable. It's the same reason you can't get a medium-rare Whopper or no-beans Wendy's chili. Volume over service.

Add to it the, to be perfectly frank, pinheadded mentality of too many scanner users and I'll bet lots of those call takers are pretty jaded with a low tolerance for nonsense. I got into what I thought was going to be a good natured Uniden vs. RS scanner debate this weekend and it somehow escalated into shouting at me. He was literally spitting and foaming at the mouth, his fists clenched and beady eyes darting. Now, you rational readers know this is not a winnable debate and I perhaps egged him on a bit in the beginning but I was scared he was going to take a swing at me. Without much imagination, I can picture this troglodyte on the phone expecting the earth, moon, and the stars from the lowest priced vendor.

Fortunatly, there are options. Service based vendors have been named and are happy to meet special requirements. Hamfest vendors may have lower prices and be able and willing to assist with special arrangements. Buy from trusted individuals here in the forums and make the deal yours. Don't get mad, get even.

SCPD

JnglMassiv said:
Please don't take this as a rip or anything but this is exactly the type of request I would expect the low bid vendor to reject.
Fortunatly, there are options. Service based vendors have been named and are happy to meet special requirements. Hamfest vendors may have lower prices and be able and willing to assist with special arrangements. Buy from trusted individuals here in the forums and make the deal yours. Don't get mad, get even.

I wasn't asking him to reroute the scanner through Canada, just a simple request to delay shipment a couple of days. I guess I would not have been so pissed if his attitude had been better about the whole order taking process. I can take a simple, “No sir we’re not able to do that” instead of the way he did respond to my request. I deal with vendors all day long, working as a buyer for a major petrochemical company, and very seldom am I treated in the manner I was in this case.

For that matter, I’ve dealt with many scanner vendors over the years and never have I been talked down to as I was on this occasion.

No biggie, my money is still accepted at their competitors, and that's where it will be spent in the future. As you said, there are options, and buyers can exercise them.

PortCop

Well I've bought all my scanners from them and it's been nothing but great. Why? Maybe it's because I don't need personal contact and "customer service". I submit the order online, it ships same day, 2 days later I have product in hand. Bada boom bada bing.

JnglMassiv

jrbobdobbs said:
For that matter, I’ve dealt with many scanner vendors over the years and never have I been talked down to as I was on this occasion.
You're right, of course. There's seldom need to be rude and never when dealing with potential customers. Like you said, a polite "No, sir." is really the only acceptable reply.

red8

I too have traded with them twice each time on the telephone and I have never had any problems with the person on the phone and I did
not speak to the same person each time. It may be the fact that you
probably got a hold of that one bad apple that has to spoil the barrell.
I know people can sometimes be a bunch of you know whats, but please don't judge the actions of one to judge the business as a whole. And I was brought up to say "please, yes sir, no sir, yes maam, no maam, and last but not certainly least Thank you."

joetnymedic

CEI AKA USASCAN.Com

I bought my BC396 from them as wellas some other things. Never had a problem. In fact there was a problem (I did not see the charge for the scanner on my on-line statement a few days after the order) I called and asked what was going on- seems I forgot to put the numerical for my house on the order and the bank rejected it. The guy explained the situation to me as well as the fact that there are tons of scumbags (my word not his) that give phony credit card numbers to them everyday trying to get free stuff and if the info isn't there well then the order doesn't go through. He also advised me that I was on a "call" list for that afternoon for the problem and did I still want the scanner. We fixed the issue right then and there. So, not only did I order from them, but I will order from them again in the future. You may have just got a hold of someone having a bad day or even a bad sales guy but no offense is intended, no matter what business, or organization you deal with there will always be one bad apple in the bunch. My suggestion is call the company and tell them what occured and how you feel. As I posted myself recently a problem with UPS - Yes, I had a problem with them, no, I won't deal with them again (as for me shipping something with them) But I had a problem with several persons and several problems occuring with the shipment, so it wasn't just 1 thing. I tried doing exactly what I just recommended to you to do and it was as if the information was falling on deaf ears. Can everything be solved in one shot or the way you want it to turn out? No but you can and should at least try.

Joe

crashcrew

Premium Subscriber
red8 said:
And I was brought up to say "please, yes sir, no sir, yes maam, no maam, and last but not certainly least Thank you."
Unlike the dude I encountered in a deli the other day...walks up to the counter and shouts "yo, gimme a ham sandwich on a roll". I think if I was the deliman I would have given him some "special sauce" with his sandwich LOL

FrankJ

What's the deal with CEI's shipping costs? They charge $20-$30 for even accessories! Why not just charge the ACTUAL costs like everybody else does?

Frank

KE7TJK

FrankJ said:
What's the deal with CEI's shipping costs? They charge $20-$30 for even accessories! Why not just charge the ACTUAL costs like everybody else does?

Frank
I'd like to know the same thing!

I ordered my BR-330T from them last October, and asked them to ship USPS Priority. They did, but charged me an extra $15 on top of what they already charge. I questioned this, and the guy on the phone got very snotty with me, telling me it was to cover the extra costs. Scanner arrived in a flat rate box, insured, with a postage total of around $9.95. I called and complained that a shipping charge of $45 was rediculous. I got more attitude.

I have ordered from them in the distant past ('85-88) and I remember shipping was very reasonable, and they wern't snotty either.

fireant

I consider my dealing with a good lesson. Tonight ordered the BCT 15 through scanner master may have paid a little more but service goes a long way compared to price. Decided to go with the BCT 15 just because not enough digital to listen to and already have a 396. When their is more digital comms in my area will at that time order another digital radio. By then hopefully have provoice (hoping) avaible although never really listened to much of OKC anyway.

fireant

Dorpmuller

FrankJ said:

Frank
This is the reason that I'd never deal with them. Shipping greed is at the very top of my s**t list.

Rich

I've had the same experience at the Communications Electronics Incorporated Emergency Operations Center and International House of Pancakes or whatever ridiculously grandiose sounding name they give their outfit. Unconscionably rude people on the phone, problems actually getting product and of course their exorbitant shipping. I don't know if they still do it but they use to mangle the suffix of their Uniden products Such as a BC780XLT into a 780XLTDGV or some such thing to apparently make you think you were getting something special from them when actuality you were getting the same radio with some cheap clunky headphones tossed in. I always thought that was more than a little shady.

Bottom line is that there are better places to do business with.

edweirdFL

Premium Subscriber
I sent ScannerMaster an email yesterday asking about the Butel software for the 996t and got an answer back pretty quick (an hour or so) and later ordered and got the key all in one day. Again, a nice online vendor experience.

Ed

trunker0205

fireant said:
I consider my dealing with a good lesson. Tonight ordered the BCT 15 through scanner master may have paid a little more but service goes a long way compared to price. Decided to go with the BCT 15 just because not enough digital to listen to and already have a 396. When their is more digital comms in my area will at that time order another digital radio. By then hopefully have provoice (hoping) avaible although never really listened to much of OKC anyway.

fireant

I ordered my 996T package through Scannermaster and I could not ne happier..Glad to see others appreciate customer service and notjust base sale on price..I will be buying a BC-898T and I will not even consider buying it from anyone else..

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
I just did a Froogle search for the BCD996T, and now I am perplexed. Why is Rat Shack (on line offer only) charging $799.95 for the SAME scanner you can get from the Uniden on-line store or ScannerWorld for $499.99?? And there are a couple of knuckleheads that are offering them in the E-bay Stores for over $600! Are these people not aware that the Web allows folks to do a little pricing research?!

Status
Not open for further replies.