USB cable / RF noise BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4UXQ

I don't recall having this issue with my BCD396T, but using Freescan to control my BCD396XT and logging hits I get a lot of noise when monitoring on the civilian aircraft band. So much so that it is virtually unusable. I do not have a PC with a serial port to try the serial cable with this. Does anyone else have this issue and does it also do the same on the T?

cpuerror

It sounds like you have a ground loop and your computer is grounding itself through the antenna. If this is the case, you can use an alligator clip from the end of a USB extension cable to your antenna connector to bypass the scanner as a ground path. If that clears up the noise then you need to ground the ant and the computer before the antenna cable reaches the scanner.

nmbobcat

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 480X800 LGE VX11000)

I have this same issue with a 396T and a 396XT when using the USB-1 cable. Have it with two laptops. Both work fine when using a serial cable with the laptop and two differnt PC using a serial cable.

Last edited:

KD4UXQ

Solved

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 480X800 LGE VX11000)

I have this same issue with a 396T and a 396XT when using the USB-1 cable. Have it with two laptops. Both work fine when using a serial cable with the laptop and two differnt PC using a serial cable.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was able to solve it.

I found a snap on ferrite core I had laying around which is about 1/2 inch OD and just big enough inside to allow me to wrap one loop of the cable section between the scanner connector and the converter housing. This completely eliminated the RF interference coming from the computer thru the USB cable and I cannot tell any difference listening to all frequencies tried in the civil aero band noise floor with the cable connected or disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.