USB charger for BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
USB chargers... they are not all created equally....

I have a nice collection here at the house. I really like my Samsung S3 charger... even though it seems like my phone takes longer to charge in it now.

I was a big fan of the griffin chargers. I have a 1 amp version... and I bought my wife a 2 amp version for her kindle fire hd last year. Her Samsung tablet came with the 2 amp Samsung charger.

I wanted to get a new dedicated one for the new scanner... but I can't decide. The Griffin chargers do not look as nice as they used to. I read some tech reviews and comparisons on usb chargers. The cheap ones have a lot of "noise". They also do not deliver smooth power.

What do you guys plan to do? The apple I pad chargers got good reviews.... but I was thinking of getting one of the oem Samsung chargers.

Upman, how much power does the 436 require? Will it benefit from a 2 amp charger?

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
The post above was my post from the now locked 436HP discussion thread.

After looking, reading, searching, and all that comes with it.. I decided on the Anker 40w 5 port charger. It is showing unavailable right now for some reason, but I am going to order asap.

nategb

Premium Subscriber
The post above was my post from the now locked 436HP discussion thread.

After looking, reading, searching, and all that comes with it.. I decided on the Anker 40w 5 port charger. It is showing unavailable right now for some reason, but I am going to order asap.
That Anker 40W looks like a pretty good one. Hopefully it comes back in stock soon on Amazon. I hope that the 436 can take advantage of chargers that supply 1A or even 2A of power. It seems like it would take quite some time to charge the 436 batteries with just 500mA.

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Anker is a pretty good brand. I bought a 12Ah portable charger from them.
Amazon.com: Anker® 2nd Gen Astro3 12000mAh Portable Charger Backup External Battery World's-Fastest (4A Output) Triple-Port Shake-to-Wake Highest-Energy-efficiency Power Pack for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, iPad Air, iPads, Samsung Galaxy Tablets, othe

I'm hoping the 436 will allow me to use this as the primary power source when NiMH batteries aren't installed. I've never had good experiences with NiMH rechargeables.

My understanding is that electronic gear will draw the current it needs regardless of how more current is available. If the scanner needs 500 ma it will draw 500 ma even if 2000 ma are available. Of course if you cannot give a scanner the current it needs then you have problems.

However, I think if you do not have adequate batteries or no batteries installed in the 436 you will not be able to record or do several other things. The batteries protect the SD card from being corrupted in case a sudden loss of AC power. Therefore, if you have bad batteries or no batteries the SD card is protected by not allowing you to access it in those situations.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
NOUDG, you are right. It will only draw what it needs. But, all USB charges are not good USB chargers. I have been looking for a good one. I have a couple of Samsung chargers and an older HTC one. I didn't know if a bad or questionable one would cause interference. I decided to just make sure I use a good one.. regardless.

whsbuss

I have an older iPod USB charger. Looks similar in size to the iPad charger.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
NOUDG, you are right. It will only draw what it needs. But, all USB charges are not good USB chargers. I have been looking for a good one. I have a couple of Samsung chargers and an older HTC one. I didn't know if a bad or questionable one would cause interference. I decided to just make sure I use a good one.. regardless.

I agree 100%, I was trying to inform people that a bigger charger may not be a faster or better charger.

I should have mentioned what point(s) I was trying to make for as you can see below I agree with the points you were making.

Indeed, I have the same problem, how do we know if the rated power given on the charger is well regulated or goes up and down like yo-yo? I got a charger rated at 850ma and I only needed 750ma but after about 30 minutes my unit would power off due to lack of proper power from the charger. In addition, as you mentioned some produce noise that gets into the device it is powering (had one that did) and many have no RF filtering on the cord (the bulge on the cord).

ColdnFrosty

I agree 100%, I was trying to inform people that a bigger charger may not be a faster or better charger.

I should have mentioned what point(s) I was trying to make for as you can see below I agree with the points you were making.

Indeed, I have the same problem, how do we know if the rated power given on the charger is well regulated or goes up and down like yo-yo? I got a charger rated at 850ma and I only needed 750ma but after about 30 minutes my unit would power off due to lack of proper power from the charger. In addition, as you mentioned some produce noise that gets into the device it is powering (had one that did) and many have no RF filtering on the cord (the bulge on the cord).

I'm using 750ma Blackberry charger. It's 1"x1"x1".

kwd57

If the timed charge process is interrupted and restarted, does the timer restart?
I charged mine for the first time for 8 hours and the batteries were already getting fairly hot and that was only a 500MA charger. When I got done with the updates and using it on USB power I let it charge for about another 3 hours and at that point the batteries were much hotter than I would like. I have now turned the charge time to 8 hours to see how this works. From what I remember, if you charge a 2300 MA pack @ 500MA it should take about 5 hours to charge. If the 436 has a charging circuit built in, than it should have a max charge current to the batteries, (if anybody knows what that amount is) no matter how big of a USB charger is used.

ColdnFrosty

Charging times 12 or 14 hours seems about right

Yesterday I used the scanner until the battery alarm sounded. I set the battery charge timer to 8 hours and charged kit for that time. At the conclusion of that charge cycle my voltage read 4.2. I then charged it for another 4 hours and the voltage raised to 4.35. I am guessing that reflects a full charge until the conclusion of the time.

kwd57

If it does take that long to charge these batteries, than the charging output current from the radio has to be extremely low, which would be easier on the batteries, but does waste a lot of time for the user. So I would have to think that there is no reason to need some super wiz bang charger, it won't make any difference.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
Not exactly. If you plug it up while listening, it will keep your internal clock battery charged. Also, it will not use the nimh batteries... conserving them when you need to unplug and go. I have a tenergy charger for aa batts. It is getting older though. I just ordered a maha powerex aa battery charger and some eneloop batteries. Must of my tenergy batteries are getting close to eight years old I think.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.