Status
Not open for further replies.

orgullodemexico

Premium Subscriber
Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
OS Build 19042.685
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

In troubleshooting another problem I uninstalled ProScan and reinstalled same - version 17.0

The current problem I am having is USB connection Mass Storage Mode with my BCD436HP ans SDS100

When I connect the radio scanner, I select MASS STORAGE MODE on the radio

1) Windows 10 chimes, acknowledging a connection
2) File manager automatically opens and shows the content of the radio as an external drive
3) ProScan cannot see the radio in Mass Storage Mode - it does work in serial mode

I have tried 6 different cables - I have tried all 3 ports on the laptop

This laptop is used exclusively for ProScan editing/uploading

In Device Manager ==> Ports (COM & LPT) ==> the properties of each USB port show the following message:

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

I'm confused as to where to continue troubleshooting.

Thanks!!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
1) Windows 10 chimes, acknowledging a connection
2) File manager automatically opens and shows the content of the radio as an external drive
3) ProScan cannot see the radio in Mass Storage Mode - it does work in serial mode

If you open up "This PC" does the scanner show up as a disk drive?

orgullodemexico

Premium Subscriber
I have 3 USB ports on this laptop, named COM 3, COM 4 and COM 6. I updated the drivers to COMs 4 and 6 with uniden_usbser

Radio Reference keeps looking for COM 3, which is called Prolific USB to Serial COM port. When I launch ProScan I get the message "COM 3 is in use' I did not attempt to change/update that driver.

Yes, file manager does see the scanner as an external drive.

orgullodemexico

Premium Subscriber
When I click refresh ports, I am not able to see any ports. Just to clarify, baud rate is set at 115200 and ProScan does see the scanner when serial mode is selected instead of Mass Storage Mode

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Mass Storage ports are not COM ports on a Windows PC. They are USB devices in Windows and show up as drive D: or E: or F: and that is why you are seeing the File Explorer window open. When you bring up Windows Device manager, they will show in the USB section, not in the COM and LPT stuff.

Not sure how to have ProScan look at USB devices since I do not use it for my SDS100 but do use for the 325P2 scanner and use the Serial interface.

Last edited:

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Looking thru the ProScan user's Guide, I don't see any way for ProScan to connect to a device in Mass Storage Mode. What you need to do is when you connect your SDS100 to the computer and it asks whether to connect as Mass Storage, click the NO key and that will put it in Serial Mode and use a COM port which is what ProScan is looking for.

The instructions that come with the scanner are for programming it with Sentinel which does require the scanner to be in Mass Storage mode.

Once in ProScan, have it look for devices on COM ports and then click on Auto Detect button in the new popup window, then highlighting what it finds.

Last edited:

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Have you downloaded and installed the SERIAL driver that Uniden recommends? Sounds like you have and that ProScan is seeing the scanner in that mode. By the way, that is how ProScan both programs a scanner and manages and/or shows what is happening on the scanner.

You might get more help if you click on the Report button and ask the moderators to move this thread to Uniden Tech Support section.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Looking thru the ProScan user's Guide, I don't see any way for ProScan to connect to a device in Mass Storage Mode.

You can use ProScan to read and write favorite lists in MSM, just like you can with Sentinal (or ARC536).

OP, are you trying to *program* the scanner, or control it?

orgullodemexico

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to program the scanner.

As I previously stated I downloaded and reinstalled the uniden drivers

Yes I am able to see the scanner in file manager as an external drive.

Device manager ==> Universal serial bus controllers ==> USB Mass Storage device ==> When I double click USB mass storage device it says "This device is working properly"

I feel like I am so close to getting this working - and the solution is probably something so simple and I am not seeing it.

Thanks everyone for your input thus far

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Programming the scanner(writing to the scanner) has nothing to do with the Uniden/serial drivers.
Go to the File Manager and see if the scanner shows as a USB Drive and the scanner root folder is "BCDx36HP".

I see the scanner in file manager as an external drive.
{edit} Perhaps that's the problem. Next version I will put in a check box to view all drives.

Last edited:

orgullodemexico

Premium Subscriber
When USB mass storage mode is selected, mass storage mode does see the scanner as an external drive, D: and root directory is BCDx36HP

Sentinel and the scanner do work together

Status
Not open for further replies.