Usb connection problem maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

se

Hi All.

I have my new BCD536HP set up and on and the usb cable connected but when I try to update the firmware using the Sentinel software, nothing appears in the 'select microSD' window that pops up even after I click refresh a few times. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Sheldon.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I do not have a new Uniden, but based on thirty years of scanner experience, I doubt if the the SD card is the target for a firmware update.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I do not have a new Uniden, but based on thirty years of scanner experience, I doubt if the the SD card is the target for a firmware update.

The FW files are written to the SD card in the x36HP and HP1 scanner models. When the USB cable is disconnected, the radio checks and sees there is a FW file in the firmware folder on the SD card and applies it. Once applied, the file is deleted from the card.

The FW file can be placed on the SD card in the radio or while the card is in an external card reader.

When placed on the card with an external card reader, the radio will see the file when you power it on with the card inserted.

se

HI AGAIN.

Hi All.

I hope Ive made all physical connedctions between my BCD536HP to my computer that Im suppose to in order to be able to do firmware updates to it?

Thanks Sheldon.

durangoGreg

Hi All.

I have my new BCD536HP set up and on and the usb cable connected but when I try to update the firmware using the Sentinel software, nothing appears in the 'select microSD' window that pops up even after I click refresh a few times. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Sheldon.

There are problems with the USB mode when the radio is connected directly to the computer. Soon you will probably corrupt your card if you keep trying.

Most often this problem happens when using Sentinel on a mac running parallels, but it does also happen on a straight windows machine.

Your best bet is to buy a microSD card reader for your computer. They are readily available at Walmart, Best Buy, etc. and they are cheap. Take your card out of your radio put it in a MicroSD card reader and Sentinel works with it every time, not like using the radio directly in USB mode which rarely works.

If you really must use the radio in USB mode, you will probably need to select the "Clear user data" option in Sentinel. It will then have a toggle that says display all available drives. You should see a device with your microSD drive listed. select that device. Clear the user data. Update the drive with new firmware file and new database file. Eject the USB radio drive. Unplug the USB cord from radio. Turn the radio off and then power back on. The firmware will update and the database will be updated.

If you corrupt your card at anytime, don't fret. You can download a free application called "SDFormater" your 536 manual has the instructions as well. Use SDFormatter to re-format the card and then follow the process above for clearing user data, updating firmware, updating database, and writing to card.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've not seen the problems noted above with the USB port in Mass Storage Mode. The only issue is when Serial Port is selected (and Serial Port is used for limited applications - not programming as you want to do).

Having said that, the card reader is a valid way of causing the SD card to be programmed. It also tends to be a tad bit faster especially when downloading the master database and firmware.

One thing that can be done just to confirm that there is a connection between the scanner and the computer is this:

Plug the USB cable in the scanner and the computer. When the scanner asks to Select USB mode, choose "E" for Mass Storage. Then open your computer's Windows File Explorer. Hopefully you will see something like "Removable Disk" and a drive letter. That confirms your computer is connected to the scanner and there are no USB port issues.

You can also verify connectivity between your scanner and computer by going through the device manager, which is a little longer process. If you do this, you may see the scanner show up in the "Devices" area as BCD536HP.

Sometimes when I have a computer issue I can't figure out, I shut the machine down and power it back up. Every now and then a gremlin is in the system that needs to be cleared by way of a shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.