USB driver for BC125AT problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippie

Hi all. I just purchased a Uniden BC125AT scanner. I downloaded from Uniden the programing software, BC125 SS v 1.01 with no problems. I need the USB drivers so downloaded it from the Uniden site but when I un-zipped the file, clicked on Windows XP all there was in the folder was a notepad text file. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And what did the notepad text say?

If you're using Win 8 or 8.1 you should read the instructions found on the BuTel ARC125 page (see the link on the left for 'driver installation instructions')- Win 8 and 8.1 are very fussy about unsigned Windows drivers. Hopefully Win10 won't be....

By the way, apart from the Uniden and ARC offering, there's donation-ware for this scanner as well as firmware updates, one of which addresses the slightly different Canadian bandplan in a few places. Links for these can be found here...

BC125AT - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

chippie

This is the text from the file that was in the WinXP folder

; .inf file (Win2000,XP):
[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=Ports
ClassGuid={4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Provider=%UNIDEN%
LayoutFile=layout.inf
DriverVer=10/15/1999,5.0.2153.1

[Manufacturer]
%UNIDEN%=UNIDEN

[UNIDEN]
%UNIDENSCANNER%=Reader, USB\VID_1965&PID_0017

[Reader_Install.NTx86]
;Windows2000

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=12
Reader.NT.Copy=12

[Reader.NT]
CopyFiles=Reader.NT.Copy
AddReg=Reader.NT.AddReg

[Reader.NT.Copy]
usbser.sys

[Reader.NT.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,usbser.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"

[Reader.NT.Services]
AddService = usbser, 0x00000002, Service_Inst

[Service_Inst]
DisplayName = %Serial.SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType = 3 ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl = 1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary = %12%\usbser.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Base

[Strings]
UNIDEN = "Uniden America Corp."
UNIDENSCANNER = "BC125AT"
Serial.SvcDesc = "USB Serial emulation driver"

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hi all. I just purchased a Uniden BC125AT scanner. I downloaded from Uniden the programing software, BC125 SS v 1.01 with no problems. I need the USB drivers so downloaded it from the Uniden site but when I un-zipped the file, clicked on Windows XP all there was in the folder was a notepad text file. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

That file is the driver. It's not actually a text file (it does not end in .txt). it's a .inf driver file that happens to be readable by Windows notepad.

chippie

I watched the video and tried it but failed. The video shows the installation using Win7 but I'm using WinXP and couldn't find the files as shown. So I decided to go through the device manager and instal it manually. I tried this before but it failed also, but this time when the installation Wizard menu came to the " have disc " I clicked on it, it allowed me to go to the driver file location on my desktop where I saved it, clicked on the file then install, and it worked. My computer now recognizes my BC125AT lol. When I tried to install the driver before using the wizard I didn't select the " have disc " because my thinking at the time was " I don't have an installation disc so why click on that " but decided to take a chance ..... and it worked.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.