HP-1: USB Port Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

w5rah

I picked up a HP-1 for a really great deal and the folks who had it were still using a 2011 database setup. I attempted to connect to Sentinal via USB and was not successful. The scanner did show USB mass storage when plugged in, however neither the computer nor Sentinal would recognize the scanner or the SD card in the scanner. I have tried different computers, different USB cables and reseated the micro SD card.

I removed the card and tried it on a card reader. This time Sentinal recognized it with no problems. I was able to update the database and firmware this way. I placed it back in the scanner and it updated the firmware and the database with no issues. Set up some favorites lists to see how Sentinal works and wrote it to the card as well. Scanner seems to be a happy camper now, other than the pesky USB.

I was able to wiggle the USB connector a little and the computer would recognize it for a second, so I am suspecting, the internal connector for the USB port may have a broken solder connection or something along those lines. Anyway, I have not taken it apart to see how simple or difficult it is to make a repair on the USB connector, so has anyone had any experiences doing so? For those of you who have repaired it, was it worth the time or money to do so, rather than have to do updates with the card?

Thanks!

rwier

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember several long time RR members recommending pulling the card as you describe. Also, making backup copies of the card to carry with the radio, just in case the card "goes bad".

w5rah

It was easy to create backup cards from a couple spare 4 and 8 gig cards I had around, using Sentinal. Of course it would be easier to use the USB, but once I have my Favorites Lists set up the way I want, there wont be a need to update other than maybe once a month or so. For the price I paid, using the card in a computer rather than the USB port is not a big deal, but as I said earlier, it would be nice if I could use the USB port on the scanner.

w5rah

Well seems like no one has taken their HP-1 apart to repair the USB mini jack. So I dug into it and touched up the five small SMT legs to the board. The scanner came up as Mass Storage Device, but none of my computers or USB cables would read the scanner. Oh well it was a learning experience. Anyway looks like it's going to be an issue with the jack itself, so I will try to replace it. Thankfully the jacks are inexpensive but unfortunately they are very small. Anyone set up to solder SMT components in the Houston area?

Status
Not open for further replies.