• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Usb Power ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bentley

Does anyone know how much power a USB port puts out? The reason I'm asking is that I have a samsung MP3 player and the only way I can charge it is with the USB cable (thats all it comes with) there are no aftermarket adapters or plugs available yet. I have an iGO (www.iGO.com) wall adapter with the available USP plug. I was thinking I could just plug in the USB supplied cable into the wall adapter (with USB plug) to charge my player. I dont want to over power it though...I guess thats what I'm asking here. The iGO wall adapter I have is from 3.1 volts thru 9 volts. Will it blow up my MP3 player?

Thanks

N

N_Jay

Bentley said:
Does anyone know how much power a USB port puts out? The reason I'm asking is that I have a samsung MP3 player and the only way I can charge it is with the USB cable (thats all it comes with) there are no aftermarket adapters or plugs available yet. I have an iGO (www.iGO.com) wall adapter with the available USP plug. I was thinking I could just plug in the USB supplied cable into the wall adapter (with USB plug) to charge my player. I dont want to over power it though...I guess thats what I'm asking here. The iGO wall adapter I have is from 3.1 volts thru 9 volts. Will it blow up my MP3 player?

Thanks
USB is 5V limited to 500 mA or less, and can be under software control.

Your iGO should set its self to 5V and 500 mA limit when you attach the USB adapter (Smart Tip)

rg65

Premium Subscriber
Just in case you did not know it, you can see the current being drawn from your usb port.
go to:
control panel (win xp)
system
hardware
device manager

double click on the usb controller entry

on the next screen you should see a tab called power. This tab will tell you how much current your usb devices are consuming.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Ya, my MP3 player charges the same way.

What I want to do is make an adapter, however I need to know what the voltage requirement is.

What I would do is see if you can get a hold of someone @ samsung and ask them. See if you can have a data sheet E-mailed to you.

I wonder if this idea would run the risk of over charging? I'm thinking the software may in fact control this. Another thing I wonder is the need for a particular charging scheme. IE: Trickle charge, perhaps?

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

:roll:
poltergeisty said:
What I want to do is make an adapter, however I need to know what the voltage requirement is.

I guess in PG's world USB comes in different voltages?

Bentley

Yea...I could not find a data sheet anywhere. The directions that the player came with is HORRIBLE...its only a "quick start guide" and does not show you everything the player can do. I have learned most of it just by messing around with it. Why they dont include a more detailed owners manual is beyond me.

I'll try and contact Samsung to see if they can send me some info on how many volts are required to charge the battery, but as of yet I have not been able to locate anything. I'll post if I find any info.

poltergeisty

Bentley said:
Yea...I could not find a data sheet anywhere. The directions that the player came with is HORRIBLE...its only a "quick start guide" and does not show you everything the player can do. I have learned most of it just by messing around with it. Why they dont include a more detailed owners manual is beyond me.

I'll try and contact Samsung to see if they can send me some info on how many volts are required to charge the battery, but as of yet I have not been able to locate anything. I'll post if I find any info.
Companies don't care about the consumer really. Most people don't need to know exact specifications.

What model is your mp3 player?

N

N_Jay

poltergeisty said:
What I meant was: I wonder if the MP3 player requires 3 volts for charging? Maybe 4 volts. :roll:

Just plugging the thing in to 5 volts may damage the damn thing! :roll:

DUDE, USB power IS 5 Volts! (Not 3, not 4)

It is the current that is limited.

Raccon

N_Jay said:
DUDE, USB power IS 5 Volts! (Not 3, not 4)

It is the current that is limited.
I think his MP3 player is not mean to charge via USB, so he wants to build a charger that can plug into a USB port himself, which may require to drop the voltage to a lower level.

N

N_Jay

Raccon said:
I think his MP3 player is not mean to charge via USB, so he wants to build a charger that can plug into a USB port himself, which may require to drop the voltage to a lower level.
I read it that it ONLY charges through USB, and he wants to find another way.

But, I could be wrong!

"Does anyone know how much power a USB port puts out? The reason I'm asking is that I have a samsung MP3 player and the only way I can charge it is with the USB cable (thats all it comes with) there are no aftermarket adapters or plugs available yet."

wyldman

Doesn't matter what kind of unit it is,if it is charged by USB,it is expecting 5V @ 500mA (max) through the USB connector

I have a few devices like that,and I ended up finding a DC PDA charger cable which is meant for the same purpose.The cable didn't work (proprietary),but the lighter plug it came with had a standard USB port on it that I can plug my USB devices into for charging.It was a discontinued item in a bargain bin at the local electronics shop.I see quite a few of these being cleared out cheap as the older PDA's become obsolete.

I picked up a few,and modifed one to run off a cheap 12V wall wart for AC charging without plugging into a PC.The lighter plug has the 12V to 5V power supply inside.I use this for charging my IPAQ and other USB devices in hotels when travelling.

Don't worry about which unit they fit,as all you need is the lighter plug with the USB port.Try to find one in a bargain bin cheap.I paid 99 cents for the ones I have.Here is what a typical one looks like.http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200666+401166&Ne=400000&product_code=50202993&Pn=USB_Sync_Charger_for_Compaq_iPAQ_h3800_Series_Pocket_PCs

You can also buy just the lighter plug pretty cheap too.See link here http://www.gpscity.com/item-gps-city-12v-dc-usb-cigarette-lighter-plug/zipusbdcpow.htm

N

N_Jay

flyingwolf said:
N_Jay, Bently was the OP with that question, PG has a different MP3 player.

Read the thread.
I did read the thread.

Bently was clear.

PG said his was similar.

poltergeisty

wyldman said:
Doesn't matter what kind of unit it is,if it is charged by USB,it is expecting 5V @ 500mA (max) through the USB connector

Good deal. This is what I want to do! I think this is what Bentley wants too.

I was hoping it would not need a lower voltage level as it expects it to be 5 volts it must either require 5 volts or the USB powered equipment will step down the voltage.

==================================================
For the ones who just can't seem to understand.

What I want to do for mine is make an adapter to charge the MP3 player. An adapter, like a wall wart.

No USB charging. It will not even come near the computer!

Last edited:

wyldman

poltergeisty said:
\What I want to do for mine is make an adapter to charge the MP3 player. An adapter, like a wall wart.

No USB charging. It will not even come near the computer!
That's excatly what I needed too.

Either wire a cheap 12V wall wart to the lighter plug on the unit (or to a female 12V lighter socket),or use one of these.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290017455922

poltergeisty

Bentley said:
The iGO wall adapter I have is from 3.1 volts thru 9 volts. Will it blow up my MP3 player?

I apologize as I missed this. You won't really have to contact the company after all! Just set that adapter to 5 volts only. It should have at least .5 ampss to supply it.

" Will it blow up my MP3 player"?

Only if you select a higher voltage than 5! Voltage is the killer!

Can you post an image of this adapter? I just checked pricegrabber with no luck. I'm concerned about the contacts inside the USB connector of the igo adapter. Can you take a pic. of the connector too. Do you have a DMM? If so look at the diagram I posted and make sure the contacts will match that of your igo adapter. Make sure orientation of the USB connector is right!

Last edited:

wyldman

poltergeisty said:
I have a bunch of "wall warts"/adpters that supply 5 volts .5 amps.
If you going to use the 5V wall warts,then there is no need to use the lighter adapter,except maybe to steal the USB port out of it.Like mentioned above,you would then need a tightly regulated power supply,as USB power must be very precise.Anything else will most likely damage the unit being powered.A regular 5V wall wart would probably not be regulated at all.

The whole purpose of the lighter plug adapter is to regulate.It drops the 12V to a regulated 5V output.

The AC to DC lighter socket is cheap enough,then just plug the lighter plug to USB adapter into it.It can also be used for charging cell phones or to power other 12V stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.