• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

USB ribless programing cable available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7AS

Is there a USB ribless programming cable available for the MTS2000? Or could I just use a readily available DB9 ribless cable along with a USB to serial cable? Which would be the best method?

toolman60

N7AS,

You may be able to get by with the USB cable. Some people have good luck with them. Some people have good luck with the USB to serial adapters.
Me I prefer to use the old school standard rs 232 to rib or radio. To many chances for a hiccup and make a nice doorstop or paperweight with all the extras inline but ,that's my preference as I have to many antique pc's in house with real serial ports.

Good Luck
Tim

N7AS

I use a ribless cable with the DB 9 connector to a USB to serial adapter.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

My PC is Windows 10 PRO 4.0GHz. Is it too fast to run CPS or should I try to find a Netbook just for programming? I don't want to spend alot of extra money.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
My PC is Windows 10 PRO 4.0GHz. Is it too fast to run CPS or should I try to find a Netbook just for programming? I don't want to spend alot of extra money.

I'm running a FTDI USB to Serial DB-9 cable and serial DB-9 to cable for Motorola CPS for DMR/Astro P25 on Windows 10 Pro 4.3ghz and both CPS runs fine on my computer. I say try it out to see if it works or not its the only way you're going to know for sure.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
A 64 bit version of Windows won't work with MTS2000's RSS. Even though APX and TRBO CPS officially support Windows 10 now…they still don't run extremely well in a Windows 10 environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmdrwill

Check Kawa Mall for the Jedi SERIAL cable, the MTS2000 windows software does not work well with USB, as it was written way before USB. The MTS2000 Radio CPS Ver 02.03.00 is the current Windows version.

BTW RSS is DOS only. And our Licensed RSS runs just fine on fast Pentium computers, in DOS......

kawamall
RIB-less Programming Cable Motorola XTS3000 HT1000 MTS 9 pin serial. $16.90

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Just so you know Motorola does not make an Oem rib less cable. That would have to be a knock off.

cmdrwill

Just so you know Motorola does not make an Oem rib less cable. That would have to be a knock off.

Cant be a knock-off as Motorola never made a one piece serial programming cable for Jedi radios. Kawa Mall has the best serial cables.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
. Kawa Mall has the best serial cables.

I second that. I get all my ribless cables from him. Never had a single issue.
The MTS 2000 ribless cable also programs the XTS3000 portables. I use a tough book with a serial port running XP 32 bit.

Manny

N7AS

I'm running a FTDI USB to Serial DB-9 cable and serial DB-9 to cable for Motorola CPS for DMR/Astro P25 on Windows 10 Pro 4.3ghz and both CPS runs fine on my computer. I say try it out to see if it works or not its the only way you're going to know for sure.

Is your Windows 10 PC 64bit or 32bit?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'm running 64bit with no issues. :D

Astro 25 CPS or Astro Saber XTS3000 CPS?

TRBO officially supports Windows 10 now (as does APX) though there are still a couple of quirks for a few uncommonly used features.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Astro 25 CPS or Astro Saber XTS3000 CPS?

TRBO officially supports Windows 10 now (as does APX) though there are still a couple of quirks for a few uncommonly used features.

Astro 25 CPS I'm using a XTS 5000 UHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.