USB screwed my PC up - Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I ain't as smart as most of you radio geniuses, I get by, but this USB sound card just totally screwed up my computer - Thanks! I'll Listen to you harder the next time I want to screw my system up!!!

Radio reference is such a waste of time

SCPD

QRT
maybe but its pissing me off. I plugged in the USB device and it hijacked my sound card. I had to uninstall it and re-install my Sound blaster software. What happened to "plug and play"? no, it installed and became my primary sound device. I don't get it, I don't want to get it and I don't care. I asked a while back what I needed to do to have a 2 feed broadcast and everyone said 'nothing' just plug it in and put the second scanner on and run a separate version of Scanner cast and it will work fine. So just to be sure, I plugged it in and moved the current feed to it to be sure it worked and NO it did not work, It hi jacked all my settings and installed and became my primary sound capture device and play back device. This IS NOT what I wanted.

Now, all the crap it installed is removed, its still on a USB port, Lights are on and my Primary (Sound blaster/Creative) is back to working as my primary device. I don't get it. Everyone makes this sound like its a piece of cake? This is not worth my time or trouble and sure enough some yo-yo is gonna mouth off about me being such an A.H. so I'm taking me toys now and leaving before I get to the point that I say and do stuff I'll regret later.

I don't know all this super wonderful crap about computers so I doubt I have any business remaining here with all these BRIGHT, TALENTED GENIUSES!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ah,Trial and ERROR my friend,trial and error!
You're not the first person to have to learn this way.
n9zas

Astrak

If you don't like it you can always do a system restore. Without knowing what OS you're running I'm going to assume XP. Double click on the speaker icon in the task bar(the area next to where the time is displayed) click on options then properties the first option will say Mixer device and have a drop down menu you can, from there select which device you would like to select options for.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
If you don't like it you can always do a system restore. Without knowing what OS you're running I'm going to assume XP. Double click on the speaker icon in the task bar(the area next to where the time is displayed) click on options then properties the first option will say Mixer device and have a drop down menu you can, from there select which device you would like to select options for.

System Restore worked. Thanks - I forgot about that option. Yes, XP.

Now then, I have this USB sound card .... It has a driver disk, Said disk was the cause of this cluster fork. Do I or Do I not, Install the driver disk to add the USB sound card IN ADDITION to the current Creative Sound blaster card I have in the case. (This is not on-board audio) Do I just plug in the card and let the PC find the device, Plug in to the mic jack and go? or what?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
None of the USB cards I have in use came with a driver disk. I've always had full plug and play where the computer automatically detects ahnd sets up the device.

K

kb0nly

Plug it in and see if XP installs a default USB Sound Device driver for it, if it asks for a driver tell it to automatically search for and install. Wait to see if it totally forces you to use the driver disk or not.

As for the default changing, go into the control panel and audio and then change the default playback and recording device to your main soundcard. I had to do that when i installed a second souncard here for my second stream also. In my case i have the onboard sound and a pci soundcard. I also have a USB one that i tried, bought one of those cheap ones for a buck off eBay, plugged it in and it was detected and installed without needing any driver on Windows 7. Should work on XP too, it just gets installed as a USB Audio Capture, or Sound Device using a Microsoft provided driver.

SCPD

QRT
OK.

this is a BYTECC 7.1 with 2 jacks. 1 for speaker and one for mic. It came with a mini disc that has EQ and mixer software on it. So is this optional stuff I should not have bothered to install?

Now that my system is restored, Defragged and running good and showing the Current card as primary, I snapped in this USB and let XP find it and it says its ready for use. I understand what Scanner cast is wanting me to do, I'll have to select which audio device to send from to enable it. I have to have both versions of Scanner cast running from separate locations or folders, Yes?

Is this basically the deal? I just complicated it by installing the drivers?

SCPD

QRT
Well. try number-2 and still nothing, No Audio out of either Device when I slap in the USB card. So apparently this IS rocket science. I just don't understand it.

DocDaddy

kids...

I ain't as smart as most of you radio geniuses, I get by, but this USB sound card just totally screwed up my computer - Thanks! I'll Listen to you harder the next time I want to screw my system up!!!

99% of PC Techs Agree...

Most computer problems occur between the front of the monitor and the back of the seat.

SCPD

QRT
Well gee, thanks - But I need solution's not insight.

I am getting a port error and I have no sound again. Kendrick, delete the two new feeds. I'll revert back to the old feed. The USB thing I guess won't work with my computer. Thanks anyways.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
99% of PC Techs Agree...

Most computer problems occur between the front of the monitor and the back of the seat.

That's called a PEBCAK in my neck of the woods. (Problem Exists Between Computer and Keyboard). The attitude of some people continues to amaze me...not surprising in this day and age...but still amazing. Raised by wolves perhaps, which brings us full circle as I expect the vast majority of wolves are not computer literate. :roll:

I'd say an attitude adjustment is in order. In lieu of that, deep breaths and a little research should solve your problem. You can set which card is default in your sound settings under control panel.

I've never heard of "Bytecc", but I'll wager you bought in on eBay and it's made in China. Try to find a Soundblaster Live! External USB device. It should play fine with your internal card, and the sound quality is superb.

You really should consider your approach to asking for help. Did I mention that? :D

SCPD

QRT
I see what might be the problem. Scanner cast is giving me a bunch of errors when I activate the second feed. Both feed's are trying to share the same server port. Apparently this won't cut it. I don't know how to assign a new port or change application #2 to a new port. I wish the real USB Pro's in here would kindly speak up.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
First, can you find the USB sound card in the Device Manager? Second, to change the port, just change it to something you know isn't being used by changing the number from the default (5700 I believe) to something open-I use a few: 3213 or1027 should work for you. Then, just use the drop down in Scannercast when it isn't running to select the second sound card. If you're behind a router, you'll also have to set up port forwarding.

The big thing is to make sure the AGC is off on the USB soundcard, as the gain will make your audio completely unintelligible.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
OK. Changed the Port and both seem to be working (Streaming) without conflict. I didn't know it was that simple to change a port. Firewall came up, asked for permission, It was granted and now both feeds appear to be communicating.

And I just verified the feed(s) manually on Radio reference and BOTH feeds are working and I can hear both feeds independent of each other in Both winamp and with the RR media player.

So, it was all about the PORT configuration? Damn! I have gone through packs, and my BP is off the chart and Still have not taken my Morning Diabetic pills. This is a real pain in the butt!!

Yes, I totally agree MY attitude was crap. But sure, You can easily see it. But your not the one on this end not getting the problem all figured out.

Thanks however for the information. Feeds up and I'll leave the forums alone for a few months. Thank you for you're help.

SCPD

QRT
In Closing

The feed seems to be working fine. The USB card with INSTALLED Drivers is not conflicting with the Internal Sound Card. The internal is a Creative Sound blaster card, The on-board audio is dis-engaged in the bios and the USB was a $19.99 purchase at Fry's Electronics.

By changing the port on feed #2 the problems have disappeared and both have great Software based mic controls.

As this is a completely new venture for me, I 'assumed' it would be an easy task. It might have been If I had understood ports better. But Citywide and others who contributed info on this made it work. Thank you.

K

kb0nly

PEBCAK = Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard...

Not Computer And Keyboard...

Get it right my Geek friend... LOL

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator

Dude, seriously, I have never seen someone with a personality like you.

I'm going to provide a feed.
Never mind! I can't get it to work, I quit
Ah, I'll give it a shot again.
Ugh... it keeps dropping, that's it I quit!! Delete my feeds!
Hmm... I've had a change of heart, I'll provide 3 feeds now
Dang it!! WTF!! Audio Sucks I quit! Delete my feeds!
Just purchased 3 USB sound cards, I'll provide 4 feeds now
Ahh... my computer is now all screwed up! RR is such as waste of time.

Maxtracker, seriously, do us all a favor and just don't stream. Just back away from the live audio platform and focus your attention span on something else, like gardening or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.