USB to Serial Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmboy

Premium Subscriber
Good Evening! I have been looking for a Converter Cable for my Laptop with Windows 7. I have a 396T, 396XT and 996XT with Butel's Software. Can anyone suggest the proper cable with driver? I have a "Sabrent USB to Serial" but can't find the proper driver. Thanks

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The only proper all-in-one USB-serial cable that will work is the Uniden USB-1

There are many usb/serial convertors for sale that will work (if they include the proper drivers), of course you will need your serial cable that came with the scanner.

They can e bought online (ebay) or the Source

ATCTech

If you mean you need to adapt the serial (9 pin) Uniden cable to USB, I'm using 3 Keyspan USA-19HS adapters for my various radios (incl. the 396t) on Windows 7 64 bit right now.

Make sure if you go looking for them they are the HS version - the older version will not work on Windows 64 bit versions. I still have 1 of the old adapters and there's no 64 bit driver available.

Bob

I use the prolific serial to usb driver for my 396t it works great when Im useing windows 7 (32bit) and using freescan,but when i use the uniden software to control my scanner it can't find the com port. there is also software from startek that also works

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
i have that cable for my 996xt works fine on 7 just make sure you get the VISTA drivers for it Vista drivers work on 7

farmboy

Premium Subscriber
Usb Cable for Laptop

Thanks for the replys, I downloaded from the Uniden driver site and it works with their USB Cable I purchased at Radioworld this week and also works on a Usb Cable to Serial Port Cable with both my 396XT and the 996XT. Thanks Again

HammerDude

I found a good link on the web, I'll try to relocate it and post it here.

Basically, usb to 9 pin serial adapters are not cheap, they can cost up to $50 bucks because of the driver required. Any other cable will not work unless advertised as being so like the Uniden convertor.
But they work great and are worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.