USB to Serial Converter(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRambo

Howdy Guys ---

Just wondering if most usb-serial converters work with the Uniden scannners (330,396,996,etc). And if they do, any particular configuration or make I should look at?? My notebook I want to use for mobile programming has no serial port (as is the case with most newer small notebooks) --- so I must convert for my cable to work.

What say guys??? --- Thanks -- Bob

z96cobra

I know that IOGear makes good stuff, and they have USB-Serial cables out there. You can find 'em at most computer/electronic stores, and even Wal-Mart carries the USB-Serial cable (its ~$22).

Roger

JHaislet

The PPA 3312 USB to Serial Converter works great for me.

It uses the exact same drivers Uniden uses for their USB cable (I actually use the one's from Uniden's site). Works great! I've flashed the firmware and done countless programing without a hitch.
The extra length of the cable is also nice since the stock programing cable is a bit short for my needs.

At $14.98 SHIPPED, it's a darn good deal IMHO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812149115

BadRambo

Many thanks guys -- sounds like there are no problems with the converters. Will pick one up shortly. This will be handy for programming my 996 in my vehicle, since I don't have to keep taking it out and inside to my main computer ---- I can use my little notebook.

Thanks for the inputs --- Bob

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The only problems people have been reporting are COM port assignment problems, baud rates, or drivers.

As long as your converter works with other programs it should work ok with the UASD software. Also if you use PDA software you may want to turn it off.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When you get the converter, go to the mfr's web site and ensure that you have the very latest drivers. Some early drivers did not properly emulate the RS232 signalling and did cause communications problems.

Also note that the serial COM port will be assigned by the driver...so you might need to look in the Device Manager to see which port the adapter is assigned to. Plus, most drivers assign a different COM port depending on which USB port you plug into (i.e. it could seem to "magically" change from COM 8 to COM 12 between sessions if you happen to plug the adapter into a different USB port).

BadRambo

UPMan said:
When you get the converter, go to the mfr's web site and ensure that you have the very latest drivers. Some early drivers did not properly emulate the RS232 signalling and did cause communications problems.

Also note that the serial COM port will be assigned by the driver...so you might need to look in the Device Manager to see which port the adapter is assigned to. Plus, most drivers assign a different COM port depending on which USB port you plug into (i.e. it could seem to "magically" change from COM 8 to COM 12 between sessions if you happen to plug the adapter into a different USB port).
------
Thanks UPMan -- for the heads-up. Will check it all out and make sure the UASD software will recognize the proper port assignment and 232 handshaking.

Bob

BadRambo

Well, it worked. I picked up a good USB to serial converter, making sure to get one with full handshaking lines, and com channel assignment capability. After loading the USB drivers from the maker (MS signed), I plugged it in, and voila! Off the races.

Did some reading from the 996 and writing a bunch to verify operation.

Thanks for all the comments that did help. Now I don't have to drag the radio inside every time I want to change something -- just take the notebook out and go!!!

Bob --- :)

Status
Not open for further replies.