USB to VGA adapter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop with USB ports-3.0 and USB ports-2.0.

What I am trying to do is connect a Dell 1100MP projector to the laptop and get a Powerpoint slideshow to show up on the projector.

The projector has a VGA female connection on the back, I think it's the same kind of plug that the older analog monitors had.

The laptop doesn't have a VGA connection on it, it has an HDMI and the USB connections on it.

I'm not sure if this will work for what I'm trying to do:Amazon.com : Cable Matters Gold-Plated Active HDMI to VGA Adapter (Male to Female) with 3 Ft USB-Power - Black : Electronics

Anyone know if this will do what I need it to?

Anything I find that has a USB to VGA adapter looks like it has some type of card that installs in the pc to add additional monitors or it just looks very confusing to me and looks like it's more than what I really need.

I would like some help with this matter if possible....Thanks

Blackink

I looked at one of those on Amazon: Amazon.com : StarTech USB to VGA External Video Card Multi Monitor Adapter - 1920x1200 - USB to VGA External Graphics Card : Computer Graphics Cards : Computers & Accessories.

This is where I got confused, the description says it has an external video card.

The link that you provided for the same item says the same thing. I don't need another video card, I'm just looking for a cord to go from my USB connection on my laptop to a VGA adapter on my projector.

Maybe I'm confused but the size of the box leads me to expect a video card in addition to that cable, but I'm not sure I want to invest in a video card to make it all work.

Can you enlighten me on this please...?

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Unfortunately you can't get native video out of a USB port. You have to install a new video display device to get that video out. The only way to do that is with a video output device that plugs in via USB. There's no simple way to do it; you have to have some hardware in a box external to the laptop for this.

The alternative is to go with an HDMI to VGA adapter which may be cheaper for you based on what you choose that's available.

Blackink

I was successful....the HDMI to VGA cable that I ordered from Amazon.com worked as advertised.

I didn't even need to use the 3' Micro USB cable that comes with it. A perfect solution for $15.00!

I plugged the HDMI end into the HDMI port on the laptop, connected the other end to a VGA jumper cable that was with the Dell 1100mp projector, then I connected that cable to the VGA port on the projector. The projector found the connection and the Powerpoint presentation was displaying on my wall.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.