USB Tuner knob for SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share a neat product that I normally use for photo/video editing:

Amazon.com : Contour ShuttleXpress Input Device, Black : Computer Bundles : Computers & Accessories

I'm sure you can see where i'm going with this now :) I now use it as a tuning knob for SDR.
The software that comes with the jog wheel is VERY customizable. You can assign just about any key stroke combination to any function on the device. It also knows which program you're in so once you set your options for say Photoshop and then switch over to SDR#, it will automatically take on the new settings.
I set mine up like so: (In HDSDR)

Hope this helps some of you.

Anyone else use a similar device? I've seen a few made specifically for the flex radio but not much else.
For $40 it's hard to beat.

Chris

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I have been contemplating purchasing a jog wheel-type controller. In fact, I am torn between these 2.
Chris, how does that wheel feel? hard to tell from photos whether the knob has a solid, heavier feel or cheap plastic. It's not a deal - breaker, but the Griffin PowerMate, while smaller, looks like it's made out of metal and a little more weighty.
Here is another possibility:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/other/aw/d...fe4dca83e4d1a8fad#ref=pd_aw_sims_3&precache=1

Mark

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

The Griffin Powermate definitely looks like it could work, and has more of that radio dial look. I'd love to hear someones feedback on it. The Shuttle express is all plastic, but it's very well made and doesn't feel cheap at all. but it doesn't have that weighted feel. The center dial has 10 click-stops per rotation and they feel pretty solid. The outer ring doesn't spin freely like a dial, it's designed to function as a reverse and fast forward wheel and is spring loaded so it returns to center when you let go. I use the outer ring to control volume but you can customize it how you'd like.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I do like the flexibility of the one you have for sure. It's gonna be a tough choice.

I've been using it with windows 7 for a few years, works just fine. That finger dimple is a great idea! That would go perfect with the griffin knob.

That's only in the UK. If you use it in the US, it works on Windows 7 & 8! ;)

Interesting....is that maybe because of the keyboard/language settings? Seems like you could just select US English if you really wanted it to work.

Token

I have used the Griffin PowerMate and several other controls as a “front panel” for SDRs. The PowerMate works OK and is low cost, but needs more features, in my opinion. The one I like best, and I have one for each my G31DDC and my G33DDC, is the Xkeys Jog Shuttle Pro. Has both a Jog and Shuttle control, so a “VFO” and Slew function, as well as buttons that can be programmed to do common tasks, such as setting a receive mode, starting a recording, tune in steps, change bandwidths, etc.

original.jpg

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.