BC125AT: USB Unknown USB Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistertee

Premium Subscriber
The problem is, neither my W7 or W8.1 PC's are able to dectect the correct device identfier for my BC125AT. Upon connecting the scanner via USB I get an unknown USB device error. If I then select the 'unknown device' in device manager and attempt to manually update the driver by pointing to uniden the inf file, i get the message that 'windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed'. So basically, the problem is that I won't be able to manually load a driver until windows can properly recognize the scanner and ID it. It does not appear in 'other devices'. Has anyone else had this issue?

mistertee

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that but unfortunately it doesn't resolve the issue. The root of the problem seems to be that when I connect the scanner to a PC, Windows sees it only as a USB device ('unknown USB device') rather than a com device. When I attempt to install the Uniden driver, Windows refuses to load it. The scanner never appears in Device Manager under 'other devices'. Rather, it resides only as an unknown device in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers category. If I could get Windows to recognize/identify the scanner correctly, loading the driver would most likely be a simple task. Oddly I get the same result on my W8.1 and W7 PC's, both of which are 64bit.

ronbotex

I just picked up a BC125AT factory refurb TODAY on Ebay and it failed precisely the same way on two different Windows 10 machines. I was just about to pack it up when I decided to swap out the USB cable and boom the device was properly recognized and I could proceed to install the driver. Sad that the the refurb outfit(in Canada) didn't check out the cable nor did they even bother to re-initialize the scanner back to factory defaults. Give it a shot.

Blackink

Have you tried the driver install this way?:

Uniden BC125AT

Installing Drivers for the Uniden BC125AT

Step 1
Download the driver for your Uniden BC125AT
– Click here to download –

Step 2
Select Save as, then save the file to the desktop. Extract the file. In the Win7 folder, there will be a .inf file.

Step 3
In your start menu, go to “Control Panel”

Step 4
In the Control Panel select “System”

Step 5
Select “Device Manager” (Top left)

Step 6
Turn on and plug in the Uniden BC125AT info the PC Via the USB Cable

Step 7
“Other Devices” should pop up on the list in Device Manager.

Step 8
Right click on “BC125AT” and select “Update Driver Software”

Step 9
Select “Browse my computer for driver software”.

Step 10
Click the “Browse my computer for driver software” button, find and select the Win7 folder and then hit “Next”
You might get a Windows Security window that pops up warning you about the publisher of the software. Select-Install this driver software anyway.

Step 11
Your computer will install the drivers for the Uniden BC125AT Scanner.

Step 12
Now take a look at your “Device Manager” window you will see the “BC125AT” listed under “Ports (COM & LPT)” Once you see this you have successfully installed the drivers. Make note of which COM Port the device was installed on.

These steps above were copied (with some editing) from This Web site. Scroll down until you see Scanner 101 – Installing PC Drivers Uniden BC125AT

Last edited:

Blackink

And I just did this install following the edited steps I provided from above and the drivers were installed successfully.

PC OS was Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

Edit: and after the drivers were installed, I successfully installed the Programming Software from Here.

I did have to go into Tools and select the COM Port where the scanner was connected to. But once that was done, I was able to Read & Write to the BC125AT scanner.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Driver issues

One thing to remember with any software issue is to uninstall the non-working software and reboot before installing anything else. Uninstalling rarely removes all of a previous program or driver, and a restart will often help clean out the remaining files.

Blackink

One thing to remember with any software issue is to uninstall the non-working software and reboot before installing anything else. Uninstalling rarely removes all of a previous program or driver, and a restart will often help clean out the remaining files.

That's correct, or create a restore point before doing any software installations.
If the software install fails or doesn't work, revert back to the restore point you created.

When I installed the BC125AT scanner drivers tonight, my restore point was labeled: Before BC125AT Driver Install.

fenderblue

I ended up just manually install my frequencies. I gave up on the downloads/software/unknown etc. I have never problems with sentinel or freescan with my other 7 scanners.

Blackink

I ended up just manually install my frequencies. I gave up on the downloads/software/unknown etc. I have never problems with sentinel or freescan with my other 7 scanners.

Well then, at least you were successful with the Freescan and Sentinal software installs.

mistertee

Premium Subscriber
Wow, you nailed it! I had already obtained a return authorization and was planning to send it back today. Same company, Canadian refurb. As you noted, it was all about a bad USB cable supplied with the scanner. Plugged the BC125AT in with a new cable, BAM, instant recognition. Just had to manually load the driver which was simple as could be.Thanks a million for posting!

I just picked up a BC125AT factory refurb TODAY on Ebay and it failed precisely the same way on two different Windows 10 machines. I was just about to pack it up when I decided to swap out the USB cable and boom the device was properly recognized and I could proceed to install the driver. Sad that the the refurb outfit(in Canada) didn't check out the cable nor did they even bother to re-initialize the scanner back to factory defaults. Give it a shot.

Last edited:

ronbotex

Problem Fixed Yay

Wow, you nailed it! I had already obtained a return authorization and was planning to send it back today. Same company, Canadian refurb. As you noted, it was all about a bad USB cable supplied with the scanner. Plugged the BC125AT in with a new cable, BAM, instant recognition. Just had to manually load the driver which was simple as could be.Thanks a million for posting!

Glad I could help. I suspected you might have the same problem with the device NOT being recognized when plugged into the usb port and not a driver issue. Mine was advertised as a "factory" refurb on Ebay. In fact, Uniden has a major distributor and repair depot run by a company called Lectron Radio in Canada. That's where these refurbs come from...NOT the Uniden manufacturing facility. Besides providing us with defective USB cables, mine was not even initialized to factory defaults and was missing the wrist strap. Uniden might want consider another company as these guys seem to be sloppy at best.

mistertee

Premium Subscriber
And the funny thing is, I had actually thought about trying a different cable but since there was "some" degree of communication between the scanner and my PC I didn't bother. Lesson learned! BTW, my purchase issues were exactly the same as yours... bad cable, no wrist strap, not re-initialized. Honestly. it seems that their "refurb process" consists primarily of powering up the scanner and throwing it in a box for resale. But thankfully my unit looks like new and seems to be fully functional. That said, I wish I had opted to spend another twenty bucks and buy a new one on amazon! Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thanks again.

Glad I could help. I suspected you might have the same problem with the device NOT being recognized when plugged into the usb port and not a driver issue. Mine was advertised as a "factory" refurb on Ebay. In fact, Uniden has a major distributor and repair depot run by a company called Lectron Radio in Canada. That's where these refurbs come from...NOT the Uniden manufacturing facility. Besides providing us with defective USB cables, mine was not even initialized to factory defaults and was missing the wrist strap. Uniden might want consider another company as these guys seem to be sloppy at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.