USB vs. Line Out Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone found any difference in the quality of the line-out vs. USB audio, especially on a PC with other devices streaming across USB? Curious if it's worth using line-out as a preference.

Thanks.

pcman67

Radio and electronics enthusiast since the ‘70’s
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone found any difference in the quality of the line-out vs. USB audio, especially on a PC with other devices streaming across USB? Curious if it's worth using line-out as a preference.

Thanks.

In my observation, they both sound the same to me. I really can’t discern much of a difference, if any at all.

consys

Premium Subscriber
In my case I have found USB audio to have noise and dropouts, both from the Thinkpad laptop and the USB-C dock. I tried an inexpensive USB audio dongle but had the same issues. It could be ground loops but I don't know how to isolate them at the USB level.
My scanner audio goes to: The laptop for recording, an audio mixer for my desk, and a bluetooth transmitter for the garage / portable BT speaker. The PC audio out also goes to the mixer for playback / playwith my guitars- it's my sound system also. The scanner audio is floating- that and with the wall wart power for the scanner, BT xmitter ect. I've had to put transformer audio isolation on all the audio lines. It took a bit of trial & trial again but it all works and sounds great. Nothing I did solved the noise on USB audio so I gave up on it for now. Long winded way of saying my preference is line out:)

Status
Not open for further replies.