usb1

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic9351301

Banned
hi yall:

my question is whats going on with my usb 1 all of a sudden it quick working i have all the drivers loaded i use windows 7 32/64 bit its not recognizing the cable in any program at all what coyld cause this in arc pro it tells me to select pc control but in the settings for a 996t there is no such animal wont recong at a in free scan very confusing

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Check Device Manager {Control Panel>System and Security>System>Device Manager) - chances are something has grabbed the port that the USB cable is trying to use.

73 Mike

kg4pbd

I'm having the same problem, started yesterday. Same usb/serial cable plugged into the same usb port in the same PC for years. Everything checks out in device manager, baud rate matches, etc. I'm wondering if there was something in the Windows Updates that were recently pushed.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Just checked using FreeScan and UASD on my W7/64 system. No issues (and all the updates from last week have installed).

Step 1 in diagnosing is to be sure you are running the most recent drivers (Prolific issued new drivers not long ago).

kg4pbd

Well it isn't the cable. I tried it with another radio and it works fine. I also tried this on another computer with a direct serial port connection, again I couldn't get a connection.

I've verified comm port setting on the pc and the radio. At this point I think it's either the radio or the radio's cable. Is there anyway to further diagnose this or should I just try ordering a new cable from Uniden?

jackj

Are you plugging the USB cable into the front connector or the back one? You can set the data rate independently on them, double check that you are checking the port on the radio you are using.

medic9351301

Banned
i have used the updates from the uniden web sites and prolific, check all com ports i think the cables got to be bad

kg4pbd

Finally took some time to figure this out, and finally thought to try simply switching cables with another uniden radio. The problem is in the serial port cable that came with the radio. I guess I'll just buy a new one from Uniden that already has the usb connector. At least it wasn't the radio that was the problem.

sparker1962

Premium Subscriber
My USB 1 cable stopped working last night also. I ended up downloading the USB 1 driver and reinstalling. Now it works fine... Least I'm back up and running

Ref-Jazzy

forgive me if i didnt follow the thread right, but it sounds like you are using a serial to usb adapter. those are notorious for going bad. Sometimes though, if you unplug it. reboot then plug it back in will cause it to start working again.

kg4pbd

forgive me if i didnt follow the thread right, but it sounds like you are using a serial to usb adapter. those are notorious for going bad. Sometimes though, if you unplug it. reboot then plug it back in will cause it to start working again.

You are correct, when I first joined in this thread I didn't pick up that the original poster was talking about the usb version of the cable.

However, after going back and forth between two radios and two pc's I did determine the original Uniden serial cable was the problem. I may just be five years of wiggling that little connector in and out, who knows.

Hopefully the USB1 cable I ordered will be here soon and I'll know for sure.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Usb-1

I am confused too. First it started out with my USB-1 cable is bad then it is the cable that came with the radio is BAD. The USB-1 DOESN'T come with the radio. I have a desktop computer that has a problem with the RS232 port...sometimes it works sometimes it makes WIN XP crash when you hook up a cable to it. I stopped using that port on that computer, when I need to use that computer I either use a USB-1 or and adapter for rs232.

On a side note that same computer I was plugging in a USB cable and got a static discharge and the USB port would then lock up WINDOWS. As long as nothing was plugged in all was well, plug in a USB cable and windows would FREEZE.

ALWAYS discharge cables to GROUND before connecting to a computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.