usb_open error -12 - Can't open RTL SDR device #1 - Can FMP24 Work With SpyVerter - DSD+ FastLane 2.155

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
I get: usb_open error -12 - Can't open RTL SDR device #1 - why can't it open the device to do the THIS:

I run three RTL SDR dongles. Two for scanning separate scan lists. Dongle #1 is for HF and has a SpyVerter in front of it. In SDR Console (and I suppose other softwares) I need to specify a frequency offset so the dongle can tune the converted frequency. Works REALLY NICELY. Thought is - I have a one-click Shortcut set-up on the VHF/UHF side for National Weather Service radio station. Probably would be nice to have something similar for my favorite AM broadcast stations or for a net on 80 meters ham radio, shortwave radio stations of curiosity, etc. How would I code that for startup parameters? AND - in a scan list????

D

DaveNF2G

You need to tell each program, batch file, link and/or script which SDR to use for input. (-i1, -i2, etc.)

Make sure you don't start two things running that are looking at the same SDR.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
While I appreciate the time you took to formulate your response it missed the mark. You can see from the original error posted that a device number is documented by the error. Therefore the issue was not a failure to not specify a device number. Also, there was nothing in the error discussing confusion over multiple requests or the device already being open. Furthermore, here is the bat file that I used to try the experiment:

FMP24 -i1 -o1 -P0.0 -f1.1 -wsl275.875

To confirm that there was not a syntax error in the code, I changed the -i1 to -i2 and it did successfully start the next dongle down. Since it did not have a SpyVerter in front of it it did tune the frequency but there was nothing but noise floor there because the tuner without the SpyVerter in front of it could not reach that low. Therefore, I presume the syntax was correct as it is the same syntax I use in many other instances. Therefore, my question stands. Is there a way for FMP24 to work with the SpyVerter or to code an offset for the dongle to tune HF without it.

Thanks again for your time.

slicerwizard

Regarding error -12, with the dongle plugged in, I would run Zadig as Administrator and reinstall the USB driver. Rebooting wouldn't hurt either.

To use an upconverter, it has to be powered, so likely won't work if the power is coming from the bias tee in the dongle. If it is getting power, then just add the frequency offset to the frequencies you tune to in FMP24. The filter choices available to you may not work well though.

Last edited:

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. It is powered and works fine with other softwares. Power is external from a wall wart. I tried to add the frequency and got this error:

invalid command line parameter: '-f120115000' from using the following syntax:

FMP24 -i1 -o1 -P0.0 -f120115000 -wsl275.875

I didn't think this would work but figured it was worth a shot. I deleted one zero at a time and re-ran the batch command to no avail. If I change the -f param to -s1 and change -i1 to -i2 or -i3 it runs fine - those are my other two dongles. Next?

slicerwizard

Well, concatenating two frequency strings is not adding/summing them. If the SpyVerter shifts the HF spectrum up by 120 MHz, add 120 MHz to whatever HF frequency you're trying to monitor. And there's really no need to do it on the command line - just run FMP24 and type in the frequency (in MHz) and press Enter. For HF, I suppose you'll also want to press D to select AM demodulation?

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your input. I am using a batch file because my intent, for these frequencies like other ones higher up the RF spectrum, is to have a single click implementation via Windows Shortcuts. I have that for NOAA Weather Radio which is quite nice and very efficient. Also, for testing purposes, it allows me to verify that I did not make a typo and provides documentation to people like you can see the exact settings that I used for the test. With that said, I did add 120 Mhz to the 1.150 Mhz AM broadcast station I tested and it failed to load as stated in prior post. Also - I did try, per your suggestion, to load FMp24 directly and do a keyboard entry of the frequency as adjusted. FMP24 would not load and got the -12 error documented above because it tried to load dongle #1. SDR Console seems to work really well - especially 160 meters last night, with dongle #1 and the SpyVerter.

D

DaveNF2G

FMP24 reads frequencies in megahertz, not hertz. Add the decimal to the -f parameter and try again.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
I had tried that but tried it again and got the -12 error again. Here is my file for the trial tune of 1.150 Mhz AM:

C:\_Files\SDR - Software Defined Radio\sdrsharp-x86\dsd+FASTLANE-FMN Scanner\Z - SCANNER 2
TIMEOUT 2
FMP24 -i1 -o1 -P0.0 -f121.150 -wsl275.875
CHDIR C:\Users\jkres\OneDrive\Desktop\RADIOS

D

DaveNF2G

OK, too many variables here to evaluate experimentally.

Try using only the FMP24 command line to see if that works. Don't make any changes to that line until you have tested it.

Also, instead of a batch file, which might be running you into Windows permissions problems, try making an actual shortcut on the desktop. That is how I run all of my FMP24/DSDPlus configurations. I have learned btw that I cannot use a single batch file or shortcut to start all of the instances of FMP24 and DSD+ needed for trunktracking. I believe it's a timing issue. Each one must complete before the next one starts, so for digital trunktracking I use 4 shortcuts, which must be used in the correct order.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, when started on a command line it threw the same error.

Also, here's a batch file that I learned to write with timers in it, etc. START lets you start a program and continue on. Just have multiple Start lines separate by the timing lines and it might work for your instance. The weaknesses is - PCs are dynamic and can you REALLY be sure of what CPU and memory load will produce what time is needed before the next program starts? The flip side of that, I suppose, is to have a sufficiently large start time coded that it covers 95% of all circumstances. And the flip side of that is that if you build some buffer time for margin of error for one-off situations then the startup time is sub-optimal. Some thoughts to consider.

CHDIR C:\_Files\SDR - Software Defined Radio\sdrsharp-x86\dsd+FASTLANE-FMN Scanner
TIMEOUT 2
START FMP24 -i2 -P0.0 -s1 -o1 -wsl25.25
TIMEOUT 3
CHDIR C:\Users\jkres\OneDrive\Desktop\RADIOS

slicerwizard

I have learned btw that I cannot use a single batch file or shortcut to start all of the instances of FMP24 and DSD+ needed for trunktracking. I believe it's a timing issue. Each one must complete before the next one starts, so for digital trunktracking I use 4 shortcuts, which must be used in the correct order.
You certainly can use one batch file to start everything. Some members here are doing it and I've done it myself, although I usually just start them separately. Even then, I start them all so fast that they're all starting up in parallel and I haven't seen any ill effects. All windows open, all files get loaded, TCP links get established, CC/VC decoding starts and Robert's your mother's brother.

DRL-XM43

You certainly can use one batch file to start everything. Some members here are doing it and I've done it myself, although I usually just start them separately. Even then, I start them all so fast that they're all starting up in parallel and I haven't seen any ill effects. All windows open, all files get loaded, TCP links get established, CC/VC decoding starts and Robert's your mother's brother.

I run a whole slew of DSD+/FMP24 using a single batch file -- never had an issue, you can of course introduce a delay between each line if you have flakeness due to ????? in your platform otherwise it is pretty standard to launch all 4 with one batch file in my experience and others where I have read threads about it..

D

DaveNF2G

Is anyone who uses a single batch file running multiple cores? I still can't get a batch file to work correctly, even with pauses or timers inserted. I wonder if it has to do with core affinities or data buffering.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Yup - I am running multi-core PC. As far as I know the cores, unless told to do so by some other software, will work in tandem and pass off load to spare resources as needed. I realize there are plenty of combinations and permutations of this. Do you use the START command in front of your batch files or programs being started or called? In my instance, the first one would start but would not continue on until I used the START command...

DRL-XM43

This single batch file is an example which works without issues for me.

: P25 VC
start FMP24 -i1 -o20001 -rv -P0 -g32.8 -_1 -wsl000.40
start "" /AboveNormal DSDPlus -f1 -i20001 -rv -OM NUL -_3
: P25 CC
start FMP24 -i2 -o20002 -f410.2125 -b9.5 -P0 -g32.8 -_1 -wsl250.40
start DSDPlus -f1 -i20002 -rc -e -OM NUL -ds62 -dd68 -dv19 -_3

DRL-XM43

What is the - "" /AboveNormal - section of your code?

A good reference for the start command switches can be found here MS-DOS start command help basically it provides resource priority to the application started.

Also from the developer included documentation found in notes...

Startup collisions eliminated;
Multiple copies of DSD+ can be started simultaneously, no delays required.

I removed all mine with no issues.

Last edited:

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
How do you define priority classes per the doc above and how do you determine what all the other priority classes are for all the other running aps or aps that will run (or start) on a given machine. And without that information how do you know if you are interfering or are sub-optimizing some mission critical app? Seems like it could just disrupt an otherwise finely tuned and balanced system if the priority class refers to resource priority and not just start precedence priority. The documentation provided did not really spell that out. I'm curious...

DRL-XM43

How do you define priority classes per the doc above and how do you determine what all the other priority classes are for all the other running aps or aps that will run (or start) on a given machine. And without that information how do you know if you are interfering or are sub-optimizing some mission critical app? Seems like it could just disrupt an otherwise finely tuned and balanced system if the priority class refers to resource priority and not just start precedence priority. The documentation provided did not really spell that out. I'm curious...

It works really well - goodeenuf fer me :) In fact all my stuff runs really well, the only fly in the ointment is me - I have so much to learn and I need to stop tinkering, keep it simple, study and do it like the documentation says...

... and remember the 3 most important things, strong signal, right signal and the software is proven don't doubt that part..

Hardware, especially usb hubs are a bane.

Status
Not open for further replies.