USCBP Northern Idaho

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Being that they are P25, I thought I had it licked. Programmed them as conventional P25 and was getting some traffic. Some strong some not so much, except the ENC things of course. Then I heard that they are on a trunked system. I couldn't get any other info, like other channels, or even a control channel. It is a VHF hi (160-170MHz). So searching and scanning with my SDR I cant find any control channel. I'm guessing I have a repeater input freq, if they are not on a trunking system.

That leads me to believe that I was misinformed or??? Far north Idaho is very mountainous, so I know one repeater would not cover our area.

Ideas?

Thanks

ecps92

Have you searched the 162-174 Band for their activity ? Did you get anything ?
Many of the Common channels might be used (listed in the Wiki) however being near the Border they likely are using different frequencies.

They could also be using the IWN network, but the only site I've seen folks report on was from Moscow on 171.9625 for Idaho
All my other notes for BP (Only two Repeaters - Moyie and Trap Lake) and CBP (at Boise IAP), other than that, not much for Idaho

Being that they are P25, I thought I had it licked. Programmed them as conventional P25 and was getting some traffic. Some strong some not so much, except the ENC things of course. Then I heard that they are on a trunked system. I couldn't get any other info, like other channels, or even a control channel. It is a VHF hi (160-170MHz). So searching and scanning with my SDR I cant find any control channel. I'm guessing I have a repeater input freq, if they are not on a trunking system.

That leads me to believe that I was misinformed or??? Far north Idaho is very mountainous, so I know one repeater would not cover our area.

Ideas?

Thanks

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I'll second what Bill mentioned. CBP is using the IWN trunked system in Washington state along the border area.

Search the 162 - 174 range in 12.5 KHz and see what you catch. They may not be that active from day to day.

I haven't confirmed any of the IWN trunked sites in northern Idaho, but if they are there, they should be in the 167 - 174 MHz end of the VHF band. You would still hear P-25 voice traffic, even if they are trunked.

- Chris

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Ok, an update. sorry been pulling some long shifts.

I found what appears to be a control channel. at 161.860MHz. Very strong signal On my 536HP when I am on the freq, it shows LNK and DAT.

I have searched to see if I can find the voice channels, but with the limited traffic up here it is very hard to do.

I have looked and cant seem to figure out how to do a CC only scan with this scanner. I see lots of people have asked this question but nothing I can find spelled out step by step.

Further, being 6 miles from Canada, I get many many hits from Canada on other freqs in the range of 160-174. Being that this is the scanner I use to provide a feed on for my county, I wish I has a second to keep my feed up on while searching.

ecps92, you mentioned Moyie, can you provide any details you have on that? Thanks.

ecps92

Try 163.7250 see what your get (FYI - Not part of IWN, so it's a Conventional Repeater)
Again they might be on IWN, so activity will vary

I found what appears to be a control channel. at 161.860MHz. Very strong signal On my 536HP when I am on the freq, it shows LNK and DAT.

I have searched to see if I can find the voice channels, but with the limited traffic up here it is very hard to do.

I have looked and cant seem to figure out how to do a CC only scan with this scanner. I see lots of people have asked this question but nothing I can find spelled out step by step.

Further, being 6 miles from Canada, I get many many hits from Canada on other freqs in the range of 160-174. Being that this is the scanner I use to provide a feed on for my county, I wish I has a second to keep my feed up on while searching.

ecps92, you mentioned Moyie, can you provide any details you have on that? Thanks.

ecps92

161.8600 doesn't appear to be a Valid US Frequency
Try 161.8625 see if you get a better decode

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
That would most likely be from Canada.

The IWN system in the Pacific Northwest always uses repeater outputs between 167.0 and 173.9875 MHz.

161.8600 would not be in the US Federal band plan.

- Chris

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
I found out what it is, It must be a new site for Montana Statewide LMR System. I will try to find the exact location of the site and submit an update to the Montana database. I know it cant be because I have full quieting from the signal, but I am terrain shielded where I shouldn't be able to receive anything from Montana, let alone full quieting.

ecps92

Montana Statewide LMR System Trunking System, Statewide, Montana - Scanner Frequencies
Try 161.8500 for better Reception as that is a US Freq
The channels would be 161.8500, 161.8625, 161.8750

If you are getting that strong a signal you should be seeing a NAC or SysID

I found out what it is, It must be a new site for Montana Statewide LMR System. I will try to find the exact location of the site and submit an update to the Montana database. I know it cant be because I have full quieting from the signal, but I am terrain shielded where I shouldn't be able to receive anything from Montana, let alone full quieting.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
In Unitruncker with my SDR, with correction, it shows 161.8600, in SDR-Sharp center is 161.8625
Unitrunker reports the following:

APCO P25 BEE00-16E Montana Statewide LMR System
Site 001-029
LCN 09-2069

It also shows the same site with the following LCN;
15-2276 154.74000
15-2429 155.12250 Control

In SDRsharp when I go to these frequencies, no signal recieved

Being that it is confirmed to not be Federal, can we move this to the Montana forum?

ecps92

Now to determine the actual location, since it's an Auctioned Frequency that will be a task
ULS License - Public Coast Stations, Auctioned License - WQAV770 - State of Montana - Dept. of Admin

In Unitruncker with my SDR, with correction, it shows 161.8600, in SDR-Sharp center is 161.8625
Unitrunker reports the following:

APCO P25 BEE00-16E Montana Statewide LMR System
Site 001-029
LCN 09-2069

It also shows the same site with the following LCN;
15-2276 154.74000
15-2429 155.12250 Control

In SDRsharp when I go to these frequencies, no signal recieved

Being that it is confirmed to not be Federal, can we move this to the Montana forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.