USCG 163.050

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
From here in Fredericksburg, I am ocassionally hearing USCG Sector Maryland - NCR (National Capitol Region) calling a USCG cutter on 163.050 using P25 with a NAC of 293. I have heard this before. Too strong with current conditions to be Maryland and possibly a site in Virginia (paticularly USCG in Alexandria) or possible over at the Nice Bridge at Dahlgren between MD and VA.

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
Sector Maryland NCR has sites for Rescue 21 in Alexandria and one on the Northern Neck of Virginia. Going from memory I can't recall the town in Virginia where it's located. One of these should be the one you can receive.

ecps92

All depends on which of the multiple Rescue 21 Sites they pick as needed
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/images/marcomms/cgcomms/Rescue21/SecNCR-Balt.jpg

From here in Fredericksburg, I am ocassionally hearing USCG Sector Maryland - NCR (National Capitol Region) calling a USCG cutter on 163.050 using P25 with a NAC of 293. I have heard this before. Too strong with current conditions to be Maryland and possibly a site in Virginia (paticularly USCG in Alexandria) or possible over at the Nice Bridge at Dahlgren between MD and VA.

ecps92

No links.

Each tower is individually selected for TX and RX

Yes, you are likely hearing either the Alexandria or King George tower that is selected by the Dispatcher at Sector

Thanks. Most likely I am hearing a link from King George

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
No links.

Each tower is individually selected for TX and RX

Yes, you are likely hearing either the Alexandria or King George tower that is selected by the Dispatcher at Sector

Do know for certain that Sector does not use links to reach the towers? But I do agree it is an unlikely link frequency as in the far past, the USCG used UHF for links.

ecps92

Yes for certain, that 163.0500 is not a link

The VHF/UHF towers are a combination of Land-Line, VOIP and Microwave
In years gone-bye (Analog / DVP/DES Days) they used VHF and UHF to link Remote sites.

However the new Rescue 21 being P25 and with the consoles, they can select which tower they use. Just like they can select any of those same towers for VHF Marine

Do know for certain that Sector does not use links to reach the towers? But I do agree it is an unlikely link frequency as in the far past, the USCG used UHF for links.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I saw that is known as channel CG 112 nationwide and they are calling it that. I also hear activity on 162.325 channel 111 again with P25 and the default NAC 293.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
King George site found

When not even looking for it, I found the King George site today when I passed by it. It is just north of VA 3 at a location known as Comorn, VA. This is about 1 mile before Rt. 206 if you are you are coming from Fredericksburg going E. (The town of King George is still a little farther east.) It can be recognized by the Doppler DF antenna array on the very top of the tower with also has two VHF folded dipole arrays and cell/PCs. The tower is visible in Google maps just north of where Grover Drive meets VA 3 (Kings Hwy). If you use street view, you can (poorly) see the DF array atop the tower (the circular array of mounts for the vertical elements which they themselves are not really visible in Streetview). And just now (coincidently), they came up with P25 NAC 293 (the P25 default) on 165.3125. So I have heard them from that site on 156.8 (ch. 16), 157.1 (ch.22A), 162.325 (ch. 111), 163.050 (ch. 112) and 165.3125 (ch. 121). Good signals into Spotsylvania Co. It is used by both Sector Maryland-NCR and Sector Hampton Roads, as well as USCG St. Indigoes, MD.

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Wanted to add: There is also a vertical antenna on the N side of the tower in addition to what was mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.