USCG "break"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocguard

I've been listening to the Coast Guard repeat a "Pon pon" about missing boaters for over 24 hours now. It appears to be a recorded message, as the background noise and operator voice is the same each time.

That aside, when the CG transmits a long message on Ch16, they occasionally say "break." Now, I've been in the radio world for almost 2 decades now, and it is my understanding that, after saying "break" you de-key the radio for a few seconds, allowing other users to call in if they have emergencies. After that, if no one calls, you continue with your transmission. This is particularly important if you are operating with only one radio channel and the possibility of an emergency call exists.

Listening to the CG and their comms, they say break, DO NOT de-key, and keep right on talking. Am I missing something? Do they say it just to appease the procedure? Or do they not understand the purpose? Any insight would be great.

brandon

Database Admin
It's most likely the particular operator in your area.
Here is a USCG "Pan-Pan" broadcast that I recorded a few months ago and you will notice they de-key several times during the fairly short transmission.

hill

Premium Subscriber
The definition of the proword break used in military radio systems is below.

Break: Indicates the separation of the text from other portions of the message.

I don't think they could un-key when transmitting a recorded message. A watchstander doing the broadcast live would likely un-key like the one linked on this tread. Rescue 21 does have the ability to use recorded Broadcast Notice to Mariners and even do it in a computer voice. The watchstander recorded message sounds much better than the automated voice.

Will have to listen more closely, since I am in Maryland also like OCGUARD. I guess he is monitoring Sector Baltimore.

Larry

ocguard

The definition of the proword break used in military radio systems is below.

Break: Indicates the separation of the text from other portions of the message.

I don't think they could un-key when transmitting a recorded message. A watchstander doing the broadcast live would likely un-key like the one linked on this tread. Rescue 21 does have the ability to use recorded Broadcast Notice to Mariners and even do it in a computer voice. The watchstander recorded message sounds much better than the automated voice.

Will have to listen more closely, since I am in Maryland also like OCGUARD. I guess he is monitoring Sector Baltimore.

Larry

Currently monitoring from the Outer Banks of NC (Group North Carolina).

I hear them fail to de-key during "live" broadcasts as well.

Don't listen much in MD. Too far from the water.

w4qva

As noted my understanding of the word "break" in a formal message is to separate text sections within the message itself and has nothing to do with operation of the transmitter. It does seem that this is the logical time to down-key the transmitter during live broadcast, however the word break in the message is NOT a inicator to down-key the transmitter, simply that two sections of text are separated.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I agree with W4QVA on this issue. Also feel posters to this topic are confusing break used as procedure word (proword) when transmitting formal radio traffic with the CB slang word break.

Larry

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Maybe some but not I.
"I hear them fail to de-key during "live" broadcasts as well."
> Apparently the operator doesn't understand the meaning of the word "break".
Es claro a mismo?

hill

Premium Subscriber
Should be at my local CG sector command center next month and will pose this question of the watchstanders to finial put this issue to rest.

Mbk127k

When radio operators say Break it is to space out for the next message as it does not mean to de-key the mic. Such as the 911 center by me, if there's multiple units calling fire control the dispatcher will awknowledge the first unit and let them speak, after that unit saids it's message the dispatcher will say whatever he needs to say to that unit such as

"Maybrook engine 215 to OC911", "Chester Rescue 900 to OC911" "Orange911- go ahead Maybrook Engine 215" < "Maybrook units back in service" < "Orange911- Recieved Maybrook units back in at 19:00hrs ...Break... Chester Rescue 900 Orange911"

See how he did comms with the first unit calling then let them speak and then awknowledged there message and then said break and called the other unit who was also calling him.

Same with the Coast Guard they say one message and then saids break to let listeners know there's more information coming.

Haven't you noticed after a Urgent Marine Broadcast or other Broadcasts they say break then said thee sector. As new york does. They say there broad cast and then saids "break" This is United States Coast Guard Sector New York out. Out part means they are done with the transmission.

As you said. isn't break suppose to be where they de-key the mic to see if any one responds back that is what the term "Over" is used for.

kb2vxa

Banned
Mbk, you sure have your public service procedures mixed up with military so please bow out before you confuse the uneducated among us. As New York does? They must be the worst imaginable so don't go by what you hear, do your homework and learn the prosigns.

KB2VXA... out.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I was always told to insert "break" in a manner similar to w4qva's explanation. There is no instruction to actually "break" your transmission by un-keying. In fact it was usually used when the transmittor (operator), needed to change the recipient of the message in mid-transmit. A good typical public safety scenario could sound like:

LEO-1: "Dispatch, show me back in service from the accident."
Dispatch: "Received LEO-1, *break*, Dispatch to LEO-3, respond to 123 Main St. for a burglary in progress."
LEO-3: "Received and en route, *break*, LEO-1 can you be en route also to assist me?"

As you see, the recipient of the message changes after the *break.*

ctadam12

I curently work at a sector command center. The answer to your question is YES! The operator is to stop transmitting when he/she says "break", then continue afeter a few seconds. As far as the recording you are hearing, that is just a bad habit some CUC's get in to, to rush the broadcast. Hope this helps.

Mbk127k

Mbk, you sure have your public service procedures mixed up with military so please bow out before you confuse the uneducated among us. As New York does? They must be the worst imaginable so don't go by what you hear, do your homework and learn the prosigns.

KB2VXA... out.

I understand and it was my own opinion on it. But what OCGuard said was that he thought when someone said "break" to unkey mic and wait for others to respond back to you. As what i meant to say that's not what "break" is used for. It's to tell others that there's more transmission coming your way. What's the sense of saying break then if your gonna wait and see if others respond back.

Thanks ctadam for clearing it up

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
"What's the sense of saying break then if your gonna wait and see if others respond back."
To notify listeners there is a break coming, drop carrier briefly to allow for a possible emergency break-in transmission. If you don't say "break" how can anyone know if the break was deliberate or there is trouble at the transmitting station???

"Thanks ctadam for clearing it up."
If it was cleared up why did you muddy the water... again??? Never mind, KB2VXA... clear.

W6KRU

What a screwed up thread. The CG and PS agencies have different uses for the word "break". The thread title seems to indicate that the discussion should be about CG procedures so all of of the posters should remember that anything that PS agencies do is irrelevant in this thread.

ctadam12

Part of the CG mission IS public safety. Also, "break" has the same meaning no matter what agency uses it.

What a screwed up thread. The CG and PS agencies have different uses for the word "break". The thread title seems to indicate that the discussion should be about CG procedures so all of of the posters should remember that anything that PS agencies do is irrelevant in this thread.

W6KRU

Part of the CG mission IS public safety. Also, "break" has the same meaning no matter what agency uses it.

When i used the term "public safety" I meant fire/police and the term " break" has a completely different meaning for different agnencies in this area. Excuse me for trying to straighten out this thread. I will bow out and you guys can return to your urination contest.

Mbk127k

"What's the sense of saying break then if your gonna wait and see if others respond back."
To notify listeners there is a break coming, drop carrier briefly to allow for a possible emergency break-in transmission. If you don't say "break" how can anyone know if the break was deliberate or there is trouble at the transmitting station???

"Thanks ctadam for clearing it up."
If it was cleared up why did you muddy the water... again??? Never mind, KB2VXA... clear.

Relax guy, take a chill pill, i responded back to your post that's it besides that it was cleared up. Your taking things out of proportion guy. You seriously need to relax and for one of the comments above
""This is particularly important if you are operating with only one radio channel and the possibility of an emergency call exists."
that's why you can still transmit and actually still be able receive simotaniously hear someone on the same exact channel which was one of the things they put into the Rescue 21 System for that reason.

Excuse me for trying to straighten out this thread. I will bow out and you guys can return to your urination contest.

Well there was no intent to make it a urination contest. I was just thinking from my opinion what "break" was, some just rather cause hell for the good of it. My post never meant harm, but there are just some or may i say just one individual who gets an hard on for something wrong. This is why there are forums for discussions and opinions no matter if there right or wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.