USCG Sector San Diego transmit performance degradation

KN6JWV

I'll post the TL;DR first: USCG used to be the loudest thing on the water and now they're not and I'm wondering what is going on.

I'm both a boater and an amateur radio operator and I maintain a listening station at my home about 4 miles from the bay and 300' elevation. I always monitor and decode AIS and often monitor VHF Marine frequencies, specifically channel 16 or 156.800 MHz. I have noticed a significant degradation in reception of USCG Sector San Diego voice and AIS transmissions, including a virtual ATON marking a buoy. The ATON used to be the most reliable AIS signal I could receive and now I might hear it once every few days. Voice transmissions are unreadable only 4 miles from the water. I listened to channel 16 all day today and I could hear Sector Los Angeles but not Sector San Diego.

I notice the same thing when I'm boating. I made multiple DSC tests inside the bay in the lee of Point Loma and only one of about 8 succeeded. I had a successful test south of the international border near Coronado Canyon, but I suspect I was hitting SCI as I could hear Sector Los Angeles there more clearly than Sector San Diego.

I first suspected my equipment but I can hear ships (including USCG vessels) just fine. It's the base operations that I can't hear anymore.

I've contacted them via their online form but just wondering if there's anyone else in SoCal that has noticed the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: B

B

Premium Subscriber
I too have noticed a degradation in the transmissions from Sector San Diego. From my location in Vista, I can hear Sectors LA/Long Beach and San Diego. For the last several months, Sector SD transmissions have been weak and scratchy.

KN6JWV

Glad I'm not the only one. My initial assumption is that they're doing maintenance on or replacing their station (which I assume is located on Point Loma) but it's been going on for a few months now which seems like a long time to me.

If they get back to me on my inquiry I'll post an update.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I live inland, about 20+ miles from the nearest shoreline. I used to hear San Diego when ban conditions were good, but I haven't heard them in some time. I've also noticed a decline in USCG Long Beach/Marina Del Rey signal quality on Ch 16.They used to come in like gangbusters until a couple of years ago.

KN6JWV

I've been out of the country for the last week but back home now and as of today I can hear voice and AIS again from my receive station at my house. I'll check on-the-water performance this weekend hopefully.

Hi KN6JWV - I also maintain a station in pt loma that monitors channel 16 (as of Oct 2023) and am noticing artifacts from Sector SD transmissions.. echoes and static with cyclical patterns. Wondering if you got a chance to confirm from the water if the problem went away?