Use and Recharging of NiMH batteries in PRO-96

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallman59

Premium Subscriber
My PRO-96 is primarily used around the home and is plugged into the AC adapter whenever possible. I use NiMH rechargeables. Is there any harm in leaving those batteries installed all the time? Since there is only one power adapter input, the batteries are constantly being recharged, are they not? Is this a problem? Or is there a provision in the charging circuitry to sense this and prevent excess charging? What brings this question to mind is the other two scanners that I have, a PRO-37 and a PRO-43. These scanners have 2 power inputs, with the second one used as required for recharging.

Joe
Dalton, OH

n2mdk

The Pro-96 uses the 2 different battery holder scheme, the Yellow is for recharging the NiMH batteries. The radio uses a timed circuit to charge that resets itself each time the AC adapter is plugged in or out. Overcharging the batteries by doing that is a danger the batteries can leak out or "explode" when overchatrged and heating occurs. I would use a seperate charger and use the black holder that doesn't charge the batteries, to be on the safe side.

Cokeswigga

Premium Subscriber
When I used a Pro-97 (not a pro-96) with NiMH, I found that even though I only plugged it when I needed to recharge them that the batteries still got very hot, and lost their ability to charge very quickly. So I would recommend using an external charger.

I also found out that even when using the black battery holder, with the unit plugged in, I overheated and blew up some alkaine batteries!

Now I only plug it in without any batteries at all.

SLWilson

NiCad

I've always left the (rechargable) batteries IN the item I'm charging. I've never had an explosion yet.

I've charged (and listened to) MOTO radios, I have two Streamlights that I pretty much LEAVE in the charger until I need them.....They've never blown up....

My Pro96 hasn't had any issues listening to it & having it plugged in.....It gets a little warm when I first plug it in but as it charges it goes back to normal, even with the unit ON.

I guess it is just up to you as the owner to do what you think is OK, but again, I've never had an issue....

I've charged NiCad, NiMH and now am using some of the MOTO Smart charger Impress batteries for an XTS5000. Listen to it too....

Steve/KB8FAR ;)

Last edited:

enine

The main thing with those in unit chargers is they will usually charge the batteries without problems, but a timed charger is not the best way to charge batteries and instead of getting 1000 cycles from them you may only get 100-200 cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.