• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Use for 800mhz MCS2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakecharmer

I got this MCS2000 with the plan of having it programmed with my local 2meter HAM frequencies. According to the model number, it turns out that it is a 800mhz radio. I honestly dont have a clue how these particular radios work so I am wondering if it could be programmed as a scanner for a couple of the local systems that I listen to or anything like that. For reference, the model number is M01UJM6PW6AN.

On a side note, I would happily trade it for something that would be more usefull to me like a trunking scanner, 2meter tranceiver or possibly a nice CB if anyone has any intrest.

APTN

Scanning

I got this MCS2000 with the plan of having it programmed with my local 2meter HAM frequencies. According to the model number, it turns out that it is a 800mhz radio. I honestly dont have a clue how these particular radios work so I am wondering if it could be programmed as a scanner for a couple of the local systems that I listen to or anything like that. For reference, the model number is M01UJM6PW6AN.

On a side note, I would happily trade it for something that would be more usefull to me like a trunking scanner, 2meter tranceiver or possibly a nice CB if anyone has any intrest.

Are these systems trunked ? If so, I'm not sure how far you'd get without a system key. I don't think you have much trouble with conventional systems.

snakecharmer

Are these systems trunked ? If so, I'm not sure how far you'd get without a system key. I don't think you have much trouble with conventional systems.

Yes, everything around me on 800mhz is trunked. Probably a stupid question but what is a system key?

APTN

System Key

Yes, everything around me on 800mhz is trunked. Probably a stupid question but what is a system key?

Think of a system key like a password. If you don't know the password, you can't come in the door. If the radio does not have the proper system key, it can't access the system, and will be ignored by the system controller.
System keys are only given to persons who are authorized to use the system.

Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
What is the mfg code (flash code) from the radio lable? This will tell you what you might be able to do with the radio as far as using it to scan conventional or trunked channels.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I think it is 000004000006. Can you decode that?

I think your one digit short, but adding an extra zero to the left it coes up with:

00000-400000-6

H07 Multikey software encryption

So the radio looks to be just conventional, but the posted flashcode is one digit short so you might want to double check it.

RKG

Doesn't really matter if it's rebandable, just as long as it can do the lower 800mhz freqs.

Actually, it does matter if you intend to monitor a SmartNet II 3600 baud trunked system that has rebanded. The radio's internal table that converts the integer channel numbers sent by an OSW will no longer apply to some of the voice channel assignments, and the radio will sit and listen to the wrong voice channel frequency.

Some MTS2000s can be firmware uplifted to handle rebanding, and some cannot; it depends on the date of manufacture and memory size. However, as a practical matter, you are unlikely to find anyone who will be willing to uplift a single MTS2000 that is not part of the fleet of an trunked radio system operator.

This, plus the system key issue, makes these radios essentially useless into the future.

KM4WLV

We are going through the rebanding process now where I live. The majority of our radios are MTS & MCS2000's (800 system). These radios are able to be rebanded. They just came last week & flashed all of our radios with new firmware.

mancow

Database Admin
System keys are a software level issue. Lack of a system key locks you out of many of the fields in the trunking section of the software. It has nothing to do with the radio's communication with the actual RF system. That would be a system ID.

Think of a system key like a password. If you don't know the password, you can't come in the door. If the radio does not have the proper system key, it can't access the system, and will be ignored by the system controller.
System keys are only given to persons who are authorized to use the system.

Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Besides trying to do something illegal with an 800MHz radio... is there any real use for them? I've been seeing a lot of good deals on ebay lately...

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I don't know if there is baseband audio on the MCS connector like there is on the Maxtrac connector, but, if it does, and IF you are able to program the radio with the frequencies you want (you need MCS RSS/CPS, which you can purchase from Motorola), you could make it a "discriminator tapped" radio for using Unitrunker or Trunk88 or similar software to monitor/identify local trunk systems.

RodStrong

Maybe you can use it to monitor the 8 Tacs???? Any other conventional analog 800 stuff in your city you might be interested in?

Status
Not open for further replies.