• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Use of 2 way radio in foreign countries and what frequencies can be used

Status
Not open for further replies.

stromer2

I just got a low cost 2 way radio that has the GMRS and FRS frequencies. I am new at using these radios. I will be going overseas and need to know if someone can provide a internet link that can tell me which of these frequencies can be used overseas legally without a license. I have the GMRS/FRS chart showing frequencies vs radio channel. GMRS requires a US license and uses higher power for more range. FRS does not and has less power and less range.
Basically, can I use GMRS frequencies in foreign countries without a license? Where can I find out this information. The countries are:
UAE, Kenya, Nepal, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Brazil and Europe (various countries).
Since I am new to this, what would be the proper Google search terms if a link cannot be provided?
Thanks for any advice on this, Rick

WB4CS

Rick,

I'm not in a position to do much research on this right now, but if I recall correctly I believe you will have to follow the specific radio rules for each country. Being a US Citizen will not allow you to use US frequencies/radio services in other countries. Not all countries have the same GMRS/FRS channels or even have those services.

I know with a US Amateur Radio license you can use your US license in foreign territories as long as the country you're in has a reciprocal agreement with the country and you follow the rules of that country. You may want to use "reciprocal" in your search terms to see if the US GMRS license has any reciprocal agreements in other countries.

You may want to check each country's counterpart to the FCC and see what information they can provide.

EDIT: I did find this Wiki article, but it's not very complete. but it does give an example of how some countries have different personal radio bands.

Family Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hopefully someone here can provide more information. Good luck!

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you do your 'homework' before you travel. In many countries, even having a receiver capable of recieving some frequencies can land you in jail. For Amatuer (or HAM ) radio the American Radio Relay league site has some info (American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO) For other services, I would start by 'visiting' the individual toic sites for the area in question here on RR. Running afoul of local laws in this area can get you in serious trouble real quick.

Good luck

cabletech

Here is my take on this.

Having heard of people taking radio equipment other country's (other then ham radios), this is NOT a smart move.

Even taking ham radios to places other then Canada or Mexico requires you to contact that goverment way ahead of time for a 'local' call sign.

This were you go thru the ARRL as they have the contacts to make it easyer.

I do know that some of the US FRS frequencys are goverment/police fire frequencys in places in Europe.

Using those there and no may not come home for a while. (with or with equipment)

Be smart, go to France enjoy yourself, leave the scanner/radio at home.

N4KVE

You don't want to be using a radio in some banana republic, & end up on the freq used by the dictator to talk to his pals in the secret police.

elk2370bruce

The lack of any real value of bubblepack toys is only another good reason for purchasing a decent radio after researching use purposes. The above posters are correct. Each nation has it own radio-spectrum usage and a great many use these frequency bands for public safety and other govenment agency use. Their use overseas is not worth the risk.

majoco

Stirrer
Having heard of people taking radio equipment other country's (other then ham radios), this is NOT a smart move.
+1

Some countries with dubious 'freedom of speech' ethics are liable to confiscate your radios without explanation and if you get stroppy........ :(

Egypt won't let your mobile phone into the country. They don't keep it for you. They smash it in front of you with a big hammer then throw it in the bin.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Use Of 2 Way Radio In Foreign Countries And What Frequencies Can Be Used?

Does anybody here see a problem with using old Nextel off network Direct Talk anywhere in the Caribbean?

Status
Not open for further replies.