Use of Direct (AKA Talkaround) in NH

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGV

K1PGV
From the issue that was discussed in the Littleton thread:

This use of Direct (AKA Talkaround) on scene is apparently more common in New Hampshire than I thought it was. If you weren't following that thread, "direct" mode is on-scene, user-to-user communications, on the repeater OUTPUT frequency (in other words, not going through the repeater). Note that Direct mode is also typically (though not necessarily) analog (non-P25) with a PL.

I initially thought it was almost never used around here... apparently that's very wrong. I guess the advantage is that on-scene units that have a need for lots of local comms can talk to each other at will (without worry about monopolizing the main dispatch channel) but simultaneously monitor that dispatch channel for any additional infomation? Is that the idea?

According to the programming for one radio I was looking at (an EMS radio -- Thank you, Code Plug SuperSite), NHSP also can use Direct mode. Can anybody confirm that it's actually used by NHSP? Anybody heard this in use?

Any other well-known agencies use direct mode?

Thanks,

de Peter K1PGV

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
I can confirm that NHSP has used direct mode, or car-car. Two SP (troop F) units were doing a traffic detail for a contruction company that was paving a big stretch of I93 not far from my location. I could copy them. They would say their call sign and then followed by the word direct.

I too think this is more common than what I thought.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
To add a small bit to Asmitty's info which is 100% correct.

If you listen to NHSP and they advise to go to "Troop Talk", thats the Troop Freq Output direct. "Talk-1" is 159.315 and the statewide Car-to-Car, Special Events and Aircraft Details direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.