Use of GPS for statewide systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

codyayrton

I have a new 996XT. I am trying to lock out an entire state using my GPS. I travel to Washington State at least once a month but I want the GPS to lock it out when I am home in Oregon. The radius for the GPS lockout is too small to cover the entire state of washington. I have area specific systems of WSP programmed to lock out at 70 miles but I want the statewide WSP systems to lockout only when I leave the state. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The GPS locks out a system when you are outside of its radius, not inside of a radius. What most people do for a statewide system is program each individual site with lat/lon/radius so that only the site(s) you are actually near enough to receive are unlocked. If you are outside of the state, safe bet you'll be outside of the radius of every site in the state.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If you look at the FreeSCAN file under the trunk system sites, you should see GPS coordinates that were imported with the trunked system database information.

codyayrton

Thanks guys, but I was already aware of all of those features on FreeScan and the fact that the GPS locks out systems that are outside the radius. My problem is the State of Washington uses about a dozen frequencies state-wide. In other words, I cannot assign a lat/long to the frequency because it is used not only in Spokane, but also Seattle, Yakima, Vancouver, and everywhere else in the state. I want to have the freqs work in all parts of Washington but not in Oregon. My qiuck fix for now is to assign a quick key to the systems. I was hoping to be able to use the GPS so I don't have to think about it when I cross the bridge into Washington. It would be nice if there was a way to program the scanner to lock out the systems anytime I go south of the Washington border.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You are probably never in every square inch of the state. Program the frequencies into a few different channel groups and assign each channel group to the maximum radius. Strategically place them to cover those areas where you actually are likely to be.

Thanks guys, but I was already aware of all of those features on FreeScan and the fact that the GPS locks out systems that are outside the radius. My problem is the State of Washington uses about a dozen frequencies state-wide. In other words, I cannot assign a lat/long to the frequency because it is used not only in Spokane, but also Seattle, Yakima, Vancouver, and everywhere else in the state. I want to have the freqs work in all parts of Washington but not in Oregon. My qiuck fix for now is to assign a quick key to the systems. I was hoping to be able to use the GPS so I don't have to think about it when I cross the bridge into Washington. It would be nice if there was a way to program the scanner to lock out the systems anytime I go south of the Washington border.

I run all over WA, OR and ID, I have my BCT15 set up by county, as in when I cross at the Interstate bridge it turns off Multnomah Co and turns on Clark Co, same with Umatilla and Benton out on I-82. I've got it pretty close to within a mile or so of the state line on each by "fine tuning" the GPS Lat & Lon. Just move your center point a little north or south until you get it close to were you want it. Because we have to work with a circle, moving it east or west will keep it from going to far into the next county. Now because Multnomah Co is the shape that it is, I've actually set it up as more than one system with each having its own GPS Lat & Lon. Since the OSP & WSP are set up the way they are as far as their areas of operation its very easy to add them to the same Lat & Lon constraints as my county systems. Hope that makes sense.

Also, doing it by county helps with freqs that dont have PL tones so you don't end up hearing the entity outside of the area you want to.

Last edited:

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
another suggestion

this is how I do it with statewide conventional systems. I create the same system multiple times for example:

Indiana SE common, IN SW Common, Indiana NE....
or
Mo DPS A, Mo DPS B, Mo DPS C.....

Each system contains the same data with different gps coordinates and ranges to cover the area I'll be in. I've found many counties also share or have common state freq's so by moving them from the county system to the statewide system I'm able to save a little room.

jeff.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
this is how I do it with statewide conventional systems. I create the same system multiple times for example:

Indiana SE common, IN SW Common, Indiana NE....
or
Mo DPS A, Mo DPS B, Mo DPS C.....

Each system contains the same data with different gps coordinates and ranges to cover the area I'll be in. I've found many counties also share or have common state freq's so by moving them from the county system to the statewide system I'm able to save a little room.

jeff.
That's how I do it also with a system here. Works pretty good when I have th hold times set quite low so it doesn't waste a lot of time on the duplicate systems.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm in a similar position in Kentucky. What I have done was create a group for each of the state police posts. I enable the GPS scanning for each of these post-specific groups with the center of the post's area. For the channels used on a state-wide basis, I have them in their own group, separate from the post groups. I do NOT enable the GPS scanning for that state-wide group so it leaves itself on all the time.

The whole Kentucky system is assigned a system quick key, so when I leave the state, I just disable the particular quick key.

I imagine this concept would work equally well in Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.