Use of new Med channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I was in the midst of updating my FreeScan profiles, and noticed in the Baltimore city listing 'Call 21', 'Med 22' and 'Med 23'. While I couldn't find them in the National database listing, I did find them in the wiki...

Emergency Medical Services Radio - The RadioReference Wiki

'Call 21' might be Med 21 - and if so, would be 463.03125 - the other 2 would be 463.03750 and 463.04375. As noted in the wiki, these are exclusively bio telemetry freqs, so it's not much to listen to - except to see if these frequencies are indeed tied into their trunked counterparts, or are the trunked names simply correspond as a matter of chance.

Anyone know? And what about the new Baltimore county system which is due up in a couple of weeks? Will it use the new UHF frequencies (not likely to use the same ones) too?

best regards..Mike

ocguard

Those city talk groups do not correspond to the UHF med channels in any way, and in no way are they interconnected. The EMRC talk groups on any trunked system are fully independent of the UHF med channels in all cases, except that, in Region III, UHF Call-1 is "slaved" or "multi-selected" with all of the region's trunked system EMRC "Call" talk groups. This allows one operator at EMRC to answer all incoming "Call" transmissions from all sources with ease, and is also why you will hear the EMRC operator answering one jurisdiction's call on another jurisdiction's call talk group.

The fact that Baltimore County's two "Med" talk groups are named "Med-4 224" and "Med-8 228" are coincidental and likely were aimed at easy recognition of their purpose in 1986 when the system went online and it was the FIRST trunked system to offer EMRC access.

Refer to the fourth paragraph in this passage

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Interesting to see the UTAC frequencies in there, as well as the narrowband allocations which look like the old MED channels?? And the UTAC freqs have a digital brother? Will that template be going statewide, or was that just because your company got a grant?...Mike

Last edited:

ocguard

Interesting to see the UTAC frequencies in there, as well as the narrowband allocations which look like the old MED channels?? And the UTAC freqs have a digital brother? Will that template be going statewide, or was that just because your company got a grant?...Mike

From what I'm told, ANY radio(s) purchased with federal grant money MUST be capable of operating on the radio's band-specific interop frequency set. The "d" is not digital, it's "direct" or simplex. That is the state-wide template.

tolley

Premium Subscriber
The template must be used statewide as directed my MIEMSS. The radios we purchased are narrowband and were used to replace the outdated wideband radios. We specifically had to buy a Kenwood TK 390 portable and a Motorola CDM 1550 mobile. MIEMSS Radio Grant Program This link gives a good overview of the State's plans for converting over to narrowband.

Status
Not open for further replies.