Use of VHF splinter channels in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I just ran these freqs thru FCC ULS for California

154.1675 - no licensed users

154.1525 - Coastal Life Support (in or next to Sonoma County iirc) and Sonoma County have licenses

154.2125 - no licensed users

154.2275 - Coastal Life Support and Humboldt County have license

(Note 154.16 and 154.22 are the statewide fire net channels in California - at mtn top sites with high power levels)

I was told several years ago that it is OK to run full power repeaters on the splinter channels - even if a full power repeater was operating on an adjacent channel at the same site - if ?audio ?volume / ?compandoring? levels were set correctly. Is this not correct? Why are these splinter channels not being used? Could there be intermod issues?

monitor142

I don't see why you can't but it's all about coordination of a splinter adjacent to an existing pair. Keep in mind that a lot of the CA state freqs are licensed statewide. The coordination could be blocked by CPRA or NAPCO if PW assignments. Heck if I recall the state already did some 7.5khz licensing around their CalFire assignments (and other state agencies). Non PW allocations may be easier to license. YMMV

f40ph

Feed Provider
You have to get adjacent channel users to "buy off" on your splinter license. For example, if you want to use 154.0325 as a repeater, you'll need whomever is on 154.025 and 154.040 to agree to your proposed coverage area.
They won't agree if you're going to blast full power right next to theirs. However, if you're some distance away and demonstrate an effort to avoid interference with reduced power/directional antennas etc, there are success stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.