Use Scanner GPS Alerts to Mark Radar Traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mymman

Premium Subscriber
Since we cannot have Radar Detectors in Virginia, have you connected your scanner (like my BCT15) to a GPS and mark every time you see a trooper using radar and show it as a "Dangerous Xing"? I ride up and down Rt 29 in central Virginia from Danville to Washington. Several counties, especially the two north of Albemarle, seem to take in most of their funds from traffic tickets. (I saw a local officer in Greene County pull over a car which did not move over into the left lane after he had ticketed a speeder on the right shoulder - relatively new law)

After a few trips, I could have my scanner warn when I was approaching popular speed trap locations. Have you done this?

How does the BT (Bear Tracker) Alert help in these situations? I just got my BCT15, but I had a Uniden BC-10 back in 1994. It, just like the BCT 15, had all the state's HP channels in firmware and sounded the BT alert when a nearby troopers' radio gave off a signal. I was never helped by this feature in '94 and wonder how much, if any, it has improved in the newer models that came out 12 years later.

The idea of marking known speed trap locations with the help of the BT feature may be a good reminder to slow down... any thoughts?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Well first, welcome to Radio Reference. There is a wealth of info here. Take time to learn to use it.

As to using your scanner to mark known speed traps with the GPS isn't a bad idea, it probably won't be all that helpful. Where the trooper was sitting yesterday may not be where he/she is today. That is unless there is a really good spot for them to hide. VSP and the locals tend to move around. My last ticket was with moving radar on a usually police less street.

Effectiveness of the 'bear tracker' feature is debatable. There was a thread on this somewhere in one of the other forums last year. I don't have a 'bear tracker' so I really didn't follow the thread all that closely. But if you do a search on 'bear tracker' or the model number, you'll most likely find the thread (or several of them as we tend to ask the same question over and over.\).

Lastly, and this is "attitude" according to a thread in the Wasteland, please as you learn to use the Forum, read the thread headers and stickies before you post. This thread is titled 'Breaking News and Incidents" and I'm not sure this is breaking news. Yes, everyone was new once and we all took some slam or another as we learned the ropes. Overall though, you'll find a lot of help here, lots and lots of opinions, and if you visit the 'wasteland' bring your thick skin and don't take things there personaly. :D

manganos

That is too much work. Do what I do and use a radar detector. The one I use can NOT be detected by Spectre RDD. The ONLY way you can be caught with it is if it is see in plain sight. I have mine hardwired into my map lights and ran the wires into the unit. No visible wires at all. I use a Beltronics STI Driver. 100% stealth ;)

gcgrotz

Welcome to RR and VA forums, and Lynn (LEH) speaks wisely.

As someone who drives that stretch of 29 north of C'ville, I applaud whenever I see someone pulled over. I have even spoken to deputies in both counties and expressed my appreciation. I can't really blame them for picking off the low hanging fruit. People drive like that road is an interstate and it is not even close. Besides, most of it is now posted 60 so how fast do you need to go?

Jim911

Premium Subscriber
Fast as my car will go in a safe manor, not by a speed limit picked out of one's arse

Americans have become CONTROL FREAKS who just want to impose more and more rules simply because it gives them a feeling of power and accomplishment. Most have not been more than 500 miles from where they were born. Fast Speed doesn't = Accidents or Unsafe or Aggressive Driving. Speed is just a number and only one factor in a much larger equation. Inattentive, wimpy, selfish inconsiderate drivers in the left lane impeding the flow of traffic is more of a hazard and more reckless than any fast driver. They cause the traffic congestion that lead to multi-car accidents and backups which force other drivers to make multiple lane changes to maneuver past them.

What happened to the Good Ole Days when we where taught to be Aggressive Drivers. We where trained to looked out for each other and too take action to avoided accidents instead of just watching one unfold before our eye's without one defensive move.

What happened to the law in some states "Slower Traffic Keep Right " !!!!!!! Or "The Five Second Scan " which was to constantly look in all your mirrors (front rear sides) and back again. Off course all the SLOW drivers in the left lane only know of the most important mirror, the on they use to put on their makeup. They are the ones who cause all the accidents and in some cases simply drive on oblivious to what they just did !!!

I can tell you after more than 45 years behind the wheel that these Goody 2 Shoes who drive slow are the ones to watch out for and stay away from. SLOW Speed does NOT make you a good safe driver by all means !!!!

After 8 years of bush and seeing what he did to cause AMERICA to literally fall apart before my eyes and seeing our Civil Rights Taken from us ... I say we all need to re-examine our values and look closely to see just what the Good Ole U.S . of A. has become. We have lost all our freedom and are living under more rule than some of the countries we used to consider not to be free.

When I have to go through a metal detector to go to work or children need to go through metal detectors to go to school ... how can you say that we have not lost our FREEDOM !!! Who is the enemy ? Who are we protecting ourselves from ... Are we protecting ourselves from ourselves !!!! Might you be the next enemy ???

God Bless America

jdebona

C'mon, Jim, you raise some good points, but do you really think Bush has anything to do with why your children have to walk through metal detectors? I suppose he singlehandedly caused hurricane Katrina, purposely withheld assistance, the war in Iraq is for oil to make Bush and Cheney richer...and 9/11 was an inside job, huh?

mymman

Premium Subscriber
Speeding Is Not the Issue - Does BearTrack work with GPS

Sorry this thread got started be me clicking on the wrong button, thus, entering "Virginia Incidents and Breaking News" thread – it was my first post and error.

I do not speed. The only moving violation I have in 25 years is for having a radar detector on my front passenger seat. It happened at the Greene/Madison County Line as I was going downhill, doing the exact speed limit of 55.

When I learned the sheriffs (and some state troopers) watch this area like a hawk, I observe the posted speed limits. In a short space, the limit goes from 45 to 55 as you leave C'ville. Then, in Greene/Madison the limit drops back to 45, back up to 55, then 60 then 55. It is affirmed fines for speeding (or for having a radar detector) is the primary reason for this strict enforcement: IT GOES TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT FUND!

My original post was asking if using the GPS-enabled feature of the Bear Tracker BCT15 coupled with the GPS, could help you build a database of the most-used speed traps.

If you travel the Rt, 29 corridor in VA, you will notice police frequently use the same semi-hidden locations to catch speeders. I had them all entered in my older, Garmin GPS. Now that my GPS is built in, I want to know just how accurate the Bear Tracker feature really is. I want a list on my map to show where cops are known to frequently hide.

When out of Virginia, I use my Valentine One - which is about the best detector available. I got caught when, after leaving Maryland, I just put the V-One in the passenger seat and forgot about it. That's where the officer claimed I was using an illegal device (In Madison Country; but Greene County was shown on the warrant.)

So, back to my basic question - is Bear Tracker just a gimmick - or, is it a worthwhile feature? So far, it has done nothing for me, going off when I never see law enforcement. But, I thought combining it with a GPS may store some useful data for the trip back home.

CalvinNutler

IT GOES TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT FUND!

Where do some of you folks get your information from. If this was true all of our employees over 60 would be 2000 a year ticket writers, if they stayed that long given the plush retirement they set up for themselves.
For goodness sake, research son, research.

MOTORHEAD3902

What happened to the Good Ole Days when we where taught to be Aggressive Drivers. We where trained to looked out for each other and too take action to avoided accidents instead of just watching one unfold before our eye's without one defensive move.

Uh, i think hyou mean "when we were taught to be DEFENSIVE drivers"?
Right?

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Where was it "affirmed" that the revenues collected go into this Law Officer's Retirement Fund?
and where's my tinfoil hat?

My thoughts exactly, and if it went there, you for one would write 10 times more tickets (and so would every other VA LEO) for the simple fact that their retirement would benefit from it. If this took the time he is using to complain to do a little research he would realize that his statement is completely false. His argument that he was caught in Madison County but was really in Greene County is another issue. Maybe the LEO was set up in Madison County and wasn't able to pull him until Greene County, it would still be a Madison summons in that situation.

My thoughts in general on a radar detector. I don't mind them being illegal for the simple fact is that their main purpose is to aid in breaking a law.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Americans have become CONTROL FREAKS who just want to impose more and more rules simply because it gives them a feeling of power and accomplishment. Most have not been more than 500 miles from where they were born. Fast Speed doesn't = Accidents or Unsafe or Aggressive Driving. Speed is just a number and only one factor in a much larger equation. Inattentive, wimpy, selfish inconsiderate drivers in the left lane impeding the flow of traffic is more of a hazard and more reckless than any fast driver. They cause the traffic congestion that lead to multi-car accidents and backups which force other drivers to make multiple lane changes to maneuver past them.

What happened to the law in some states "Slower Traffic Keep Right " !!!!!!! Or "The Five Second Scan " which was to constantly look in all your mirrors (front rear sides) and back again. Off course all the SLOW drivers in the left lane only know of the most important mirror, the on they use to put on their makeup. They are the ones who cause all the accidents and in some cases simply drive on oblivious to what they just did !!!

I can tell you after more than 45 years behind the wheel that these Goody 2 Shoes who drive slow are the ones to watch out for and stay away from. SLOW Speed does NOT make you a good safe driver by all means !!!!

After 8 years of bush and seeing what he did to cause AMERICA to literally fall apart before my eyes and seeing our Civil Rights Taken from us ... I say we all need to re-examine our values and look closely to see just what the Good Ole U.S . of A. has become. We have lost all our freedom and are living under more rule than some of the countries we used to consider not to be free.

When I have to go through a metal detector to go to work or children need to go through metal detectors to go to school ... how can you say that we have not lost our FREEDOM !!! Who is the enemy ? Who are we protecting ourselves from ... Are we protecting ourselves from ourselves !!!! Might you be the next enemy ???

God Bless America

As MH pointed out its defensive driving not aggressive driving, aggressive driving is tailgating, etc.

To a certain extent I see where you are coming from.

I agree that speed isn't the only factor (and even a lot of times a secondary factor) to traffic accidents and fatalities. We do however need speed limits in place in most areas due to traffic (and definitely on all roads other than Interstates). Look at Germany and the Autobahn, many areas of that road now have speed limits. Another reason is because America is the land of excess and we tend not to be able to police ourselves. Also in Germany it is a lot harder to get a drivers license and in general they are much better drivers. Also get caught for aggressive driving, etc and you are looking at real nasty fines. Also their fines are based on what your income is, which I have to say is a good idea. For the simple fact some Hollywood person or other rich person doesn't really care about a traffic fine, which is essentially pocked change for them, but someone that works at McDonald's, or Wal-Mart, etc. will feel the fine hard.

As far as who is in office that is another argument for another day. I will simply say that I don't believe it matters who is office, Dem or Rep, this guy or that guy. The things you are saying have been going on for more than just the past 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.